TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

The sweet spot is not any smaller...Its what happens when one misses that sweet spot that changes things. Look at it like an iron.
Balance point of an iron is virtually the same no matter the size of the iron. However take a muscle back iron, with weight directly behind the impact balance point, and miss a bit. Then do the same with a larger club head with perimeter weighting. Many would refer to it as a "smaller sweet spot", which in a technical sense is not correct.

However the lateral forgiveness is not as large. While many club companies have worked on expanding the optimal hitting zone, going ultra low spin, with weight direct behind the impact spot rather than further back, can impact forgiveness in a number of ways.
If you had to put this one in the bag when it counts, what would you do to get it to the most optimal playability? (Does that make sense?)

High launching shaft? Higher spin shaft? Close eyes and pray?

I'm one of the few that seem to get along with the SLDR. It was really good for me. Hitting on a launch monitor at a Callaway demo day prior to #theking my numbers were slightly better with the SLDR than with Big Bertha. I love what Callaway does as a company though and their support for THP so I'm working to see if I can get Bertha to perform for me. If it comes down to a tie in performance I'll be saying bye to the SLDR.

If you had to put this one in the bag when it counts, what would you do to get it to the most optimal playability? (Does that make sense?)

People dont like my answer. I would play it at 16* (for me personally to get some spin up).
I would NOT overthink the shaft (as it is not going to change lateral dispersion for you).
And I would embrace the heck out of it and work hard on my swing with a teacher to make it easier to find the sweet spot as often as possible.

We constantly hear people saying "I am going to play with players irons to practice with to become a better ball striker (which I also dont buy) and then never want to say the same thing about the driver.

People dont like my answer. I would play it at 16* (for me personally to get some spin up).
I would NOT overthink the shaft (as it is not going to change lateral dispersion for you).
And I would embrace the heck out of it and work hard on my swing with a teacher to make it easier to find the sweet spot as often as possible.

We constantly hear people saying "I am going to play with players irons to practice with to become a better ball striker (which I also dont buy) and then never want to say the same thing about the driver.

Embracing the loft & lessons, got it.

Close eyes and pray to Tiger. after lighting a candle, of course.

I'd try gaming the 16 just to see if I'd get good height with the driver for once.

I love so much about this post.

I'd try gaming the 16 just to see if I'd get good height with the driver for once.
Honestly, I have hit the 14* a good bit, and it was just as penal on the misses.

Funny that I can game just about any other driver out there with really good results, but this one, requires so much more.

As usual, I agree 100% with your comments and feedback.

I love so much about this post.
Embracing the loft is great, but the fact that I can game another driver at 11* and have phenomenal results like I saw on Sunday tells me everything I need to know about this driver.

Embracing the loft is great, but the fact that I can game another driver at 11* and have phenomenal results like I saw on Sunday tells me everything I need to know about this driver.

I get that, and I agree. But I love the whole point of go high in loft, don't overthink the shaft as no shaft will change a heads innate traits exponentially, and just work on the swing with a professional to make the best of it all, mainly because I know 1000% that is EXACTLY what I would have to do if I was playing TM in the MC.

I get that, and I agree. But I love the whole point of go high in loft, don't overthink the shaft as no shaft will change a heads innate traits exponentially, and just work on the swing with a professional to make the best of it all, mainly because I know 1000% that is EXACTLY what I would have to do if I was playing TM in the MC.
If only it was that easy. Unfortunately, I am not in that position at this time.

That is all on me.

If only it was that easy. Unfortunately, I am not in that position at this time.

That is all on me.

Not trying to make it come off that way dude, you know that.

Not trying to make it come off that way dude, you know that.
I know dude, no worries.

Just wait... just wait. I will be hammering the SLDR in Myrtle. I am not worried, but, I am a bit mental... YOU KNOW THIS!

I know dude, no worries.

Just wait... just wait. I will be hammering the SLDR in Myrtle. I am not worried, but, I am a bit mental... YOU KNOW THIS!

There you go. I'll be there and happy to see you make it work dude.

I know dude, no worries.

Yep, I do, we are one in the same there. You WILL make it work, I have no doubt at all.

Yeah, well, I have to figure out something dude. I know the driver doesnt jive with me, but it's my only option for the Morgan Cup, so I have to make it work...somehow... or get really good at taking long irons off the tee.

Can't go Jetspeed?

I know dude, no worries.

I have no doubt in my mind at some point in the MC coverage well all see a drive and go "daaaaaaaang"

If off center hits are penal then I'd focus on stuff that helped me hit the middle more than trying to pick a shaft for spin characteristics. From a technology perspective, how about shortening the shaft to 44 1/4 or 44 1/2? From a swing perspective I might get uber focused on a repeatable setup / ball position, really remove tension from my hands and slow down my swing. I know it is really hard when a club gets in your head. You can do it.

How did you pace that off? 16 yards? Were you using a launch monitor on the tee?

Skycaddie sg5. I have been bringing my go to the tee and marking my shots. I've been very mindful of the distances. I am only tracking total distances with this method.

Please let me also add, I'm not saying you're wrong or are not seeing what you have.

SLDR S is what TaylorMade has equipped us with.
Well hopefully the mini works out for you and the SLDR will make a nice towel holder for you and you won't need it. :)

Skycaddie sg5. I have been bringing my go to the tee and marking my shots. I've been very mindful of the distances. I am only tracking total distances with this method.

Please let me also add, I'm not saying you're wrong or are not seeing what you have.

I thought you said dispersion?
What is total distances?

Back