How do you mark your ball?

dogs010.jpg

dogs013.jpg

dogs006.jpg

I do one simple brown dot just above and right of the company stamp. Importantly, I also put it on the same side that contains the "alignment aid." When I putt, I like to keep the "clean side" of the ball up so that I see nothing on the ball when I putt.

I don't usually mark my ball, but when I do i'll sign it with my signature.

I need to think of a simpler one though, one with just dots or lines.

One green dot to the right of the number. I hate looking at a messy ball.

I always use 3 orange dots below the brand name in a random pattern that I choose for that day.

Although after looking at that tin-cup website, that might change!

Anyone else here put their return address on their ball? Anyone? J/K! I dont mark mine, too distracting.

Nothing.

I've never really found a reason for it. Some do it for alignment purposes. Some do it to be different. Some do it for identification purposes.

The balls that I play have good alignment aids. I guess I don't feel the need/want to be different w/ my golf ball. And, I make note of the number stamped on the golf ball of the particular brand I'm playing that round and I've never had a problem as far as identification is concerned.

Boo Girl marks mine for me--my initials in hot pink sharpie.

My initials with a Sharpie. Currently using blue, but that is subject to change. I put it on both sides above or below the ball logo. Something like this:

RP

I just put either a red or black dot under the number on the ball and draw a line beside the logo usually. But sometimes I do something different if at the time I'm marking the balls I feel like being creative.

Nothing.

I've never really found a reason for it.
Some do it for alignment purposes. Some do it to be different. Some do it for identification purposes.

The balls that I play have good alignment aids. I guess I don't feel the need/want to be different w/ my golf ball. And, I make note of the number stamped on the golf ball of the particular brand I'm playing that round and I've never had a problem as far as identification is concerned.

You don't play in tournaments? Or any games for money? (Just guessing that you do, I don't know). You never hit your ball in the woods or high rough and need to look for it because you aren't 100% sure where it is? You never find a ball that isn't yours but is the same brand you play? How do you know for certain that you found your ball if there's something on the line? If you don't play in any competitions (friendly or organized) then it really doesn't matter. Just wondering.

I used to paint the ball 100%
Green, black, gold, silver. then realized black ball is the toughest to find in rough.. so abandoned the black.. then green balls seemed to go to water more often so no more green... silver and gold balls left the marking on my club faces that were hard to remove.. so no more..
Now, no marking at all, since everyone else is doing it mine seem to be the only one not marked.

since some have mentioned about to make sure it is your ball part... when I have to make sure it is mine time, then I just write my name on it

You don't play in tournaments? Or any games for money? (Just guessing that you do, I don't know). You never hit your ball in the woods or high rough and need to look for it because you aren't 100% sure where it is? You never find a ball that isn't yours but is the same brand you play? How do you know for certain that you found your ball if there's something on the line? If you don't play in any competitions (friendly or organized) then it really doesn't matter. Just wondering.

Was going to say the same thing,but chose to keep quiet

Yes I play in tournaments.

Yes I have hit my ball in woods and high rough and have had a tough time finding it.

However, if I find a ball in the area that I saw it go to and that ball is my exact make/model and w/ the number on the ball that I was shooting, I'm about positive that it's my ball.

Really, what are the odds that it's NOT my ball?

Throw in the fact that I have become obsessive about looking at and checking my ball out after every hole to the point that I have become pretty good at knowing any "mark" or any slight imperfection on the ball to know for sure if a ball is mine or not.

I don't really care if someone marks their ball or not as long as they know what they're playing. I can't tell you how many times I've had to play with people who barely knew the brand, let alone the number ball they were playing. Makes me crazy.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to play with people who barely knew the brand, let alone the number ball they were playing. Makes me crazy.

I never even keep track of the number Im playing. I just always know that its a Bridgestone with a T and a line.

Re: How do you mark your ball?

without a difinitive identifiable mark of some sort....there is no way anyone can be certain it is their ball.

Yes I play in tournaments.

Yes I have hit my ball in woods and high rough and have had a tough time finding it.

However, if I find a ball in the area that I saw it go to and that ball is my exact make/model and w/ the number on the ball that I was shooting, I'm about positive that it's my ball.

Really, what are the odds that it's NOT my ball?

Throw in the fact that I have become obsessive about looking at and checking my ball out after every hole to the point that I have become pretty good at knowing any "mark" or any slight imperfection on the ball to know for sure if a ball is mine or not.

without a difinitive identifiable mark of some sort....there is no way anyone can be certain it is their ball.

You're "about" positive?

What if you and whoever you are playing with are playing the same ball and they come to rest next to each other and neither one of you marked their ball? They were both brand new balls and you somehow played the same number. Are you heading back to the tee because you both lost your ball? (Can't identify as yours).

What if you lost a ball in about the same spot yesterday and hit there again today? How do you know it was today's ball you found and not yesterday's ball? (Of course, if you mark it the same way every time, you still would probably not know!)

How hard is it to mark your ball just so you can be "absolutely" positive?

I never play for money or in tournaments, so for me it really doesn't matter if someone plays the correct ball or not. But if I were one of your fellow competitors I might just call you on it. :D

Last edited:
By hitting it into the water. Or across the street.

You're "about" positive?

What if you and whoever you are playing with are playing the same ball and they come to rest next to each other and neither one of you marked their ball? They were both brand new balls and you somehow played the same number. Are you heading back to the tee because you both lost your ball? (Can't identify as yours).

What if you lost a ball in about the exact same spot yesterday and hit there again today? How do you know it was today's ball you found and not yesterday's ball? (Of course, if you mark it the same way every time, you still would probably not know!)

How hard is it to mark your ball just so you can be "absolutely" positive?

I never play for money or in tournaments, so for me it really doesn't matter if someone plays the correct ball or not. But if I were one of your fellow competitors I might just call you on it. :D

He has a better chance at winning the lottery than any of those in bold above....

Re: How do you mark your ball?

clg82 said:
He has a better chance at winning the lottery than any of those in bold above....

well.....I should be a lottery winner then.

I have been in a foursome where one guy lost his ball left. asked him what he played. 'prov1- 3'. i found one and he found one....both in the same general area.

no doubt he chose the better lie.

pun intended.

I'd rather cover my a$$ than have questions later.

Doesn't matter. For all you know that ball was lost days ago. In a tourney setting where someone may decide to use the rules to their fullest, it's better to mark your ball and be safe. CYA.

I happened to have hit a ball into the woods one day. I found a ball in the general area, same make and model. So I played it and after I holed out I saw the marks that someone else had put on the ball. I was playing solo, so no big deal but if it was a tourney, I just screwed myself.

Good thing that's not what I said then! What a putz.

2190029347_9818043c09.jpg

Last edited:
Back