How many of you believe the marketing of golf companies?

I wouldnt say that I believe the marketing but it is something that interests me, that I pay attention to and that makes me want to try a club. When it comes to marketing, I tend to look deeper into it and see if its nonsense (like TM's distance claims) or if theres some actualy substance to it (Mizuno's forging and Nike's Covert woods and RZN balls).

I like what you think is Nonsense and what has substance.

I like the marketing, when I don't see the gains they advertise it gives me something to b*tch about hahaha

Personally I'd rather they put the money into R&D and manufacturing, and let the clubs speak for themselves.

I believe everything on tv. That's why I game the Jack Hamm Hammer X Driver and the Max Spin Putter.

Not one bit! If it was all true then we'd all be hitting the ball 400yards and not missing fairways or greens. They rely on the fact that golfers in general are incredibly gullible and always looking for a miracle club etc.

There's many different types of marketing. Claims are one type.

However companies getting involved with thp for events, testing, and giveaways is another form of marketing. Nontraditional marketing is taking over the golfing industry and Callaway is leading the charge. Rather than simply talking at consumers, companies like callaway are engaging the consumer and developing a dialogue. It's a pretty exciting time to be a golf consumer

Technically the distance claims are jot lies, just have to read the disclaimers.

Marketing will never cause me to buy clubs, but might lead me to try them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To an extent. But I have yet to find a club that will swing itself. The extra 10-20 sales pitches are just thrown out numbers. I can take a 14 year old titanium driver and hit it just as good or better than the brand new SLDR. I think we all like nice new shiny things naturally but I draw a line with some of the hog wash some of the company's bs.

Do I believe the marketing? Absolutely not.

Some clubs are definitely better than others for me but I haven't seen the big distance gains that some OEM's market for irons as an example.

Seems no matter the set that the 7i remains a 150 club for me.

Depends on the product and the company. Usually marketing is just that - selling. However some have proven true for me

If it's as simple as labeling a club something different and issuing a claim for more distance/forgiveness/trajectory/feel/etc than I suppose TM and every other golf company or hell any manufacturer of any product on earth is wasting a hell of a lot of money on their research and design labs! My company has an $18 million R & D/testing lab and I fully believe we make the best products in our industry. Marketing can put whatever catchphrase or claim in it they want but without the data to back it up it's meaningless. And yes we do real world testing as well. It's not all robots and computers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the marketing stuff is pretty humorous. I do find that the marketing may make me want to try something, but I don't buy into the hype without seeing results. I have bought based on others' experiences on here without being able to try things out, but that's more due to the lack of lefty selection nearby than anything.

I don't really believe too much of what I read. I'm aware that some things are just not aimed at me and my swing.

I look at it this way - the marketing has to have SOME substance to it, but how much is the issue. I'd much rather rely on official THP reviews along with user reviews since that's more realistic by a long shot.

There's a website out there that does a lot of club testing and reviews, and they seem to enjoy calling out some companies on their marketing and advertising numbers. I don't agree with the manner in which they do it some of the time, but I do like that there are people out there actively testing and verifying numbers.

Bottom line - nearly every OEM is making excellent gear nowadays. Marketing is one thing, how each individual golfer hits and feels about that gear is something else entirely.

Same ole song and dance. It's nice being able to take an 8 iron, hit it as high as an old PW and as long as an old 6 iron. It's more technology than lower lofts. Take some time and read around here, you'll it. Also, read the fine print in the marketing. I've seen distance claims are based on testing it against models that are a couple years old. I trust them a lot, but actually trying a club and seeing it work makes one a true believer.

There is a great example of this in one of the Mark Crossfield videos from his Callaway visit. The guy explained that they do extensive testing to make sure their claims are true.

As far as the 60 or 17 yards of this and that, a few people have already touched on it. One fact is that clubs have a much larger sweet spot and higher MOI which is going to give you more ideal shots that a club from 15 years ago. I could hit my 9 iron the same distance I hit it now back then, but my consistency doing it was much lower.

There has to be some truth to marketing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I initially believed TaylorMade's "Loft Up For Distance" hype and increased the loft on all my SLDR clubs. Looked like it was true on the range, but when I hit 3 drives on every par 4 and 5 at different lofts the lower lofts won the distance and accuracy contests. So I obviously no longer subscribe to that marketing ploy.

I bugs me when companies market distance increases in "better player" irons. Why buy an 8 iron that hits 10 yards farther when I can do that with my 7 iron. Maybe it's an ego thing to hit an 8 iron 175. I'm more about the score than hitting short irons far.

Tons of lies .. And bs .. But I have to say that golf spy has the most honest In-depth reviews . Almost too honest , wonder what the big companies think about their harsh reviews at times
?

the top players all have manipulated clubs anyway . Like nothing we buy

I don't even know what to say.

I pay zero attention to it. But I also pause the TV and read the little disclaimer at the bottom and see what clubs they are actually comparing...i'm a bit odd in that.

This. They have to prove their claims if they are called out. Too many people miss this aspect and think that the yardage claims are just compared to the last club that already promised distance gains.

Tons of lies .. And bs .. But I have to say that golf spy has the most honest In-depth reviews . Almost too honest , wonder what the big companies think about their harsh reviews at times
?

the top players all have manipulated clubs anyway . Like nothing we buy

This golf spy sounds like one hell of a site...

Honest, in depth reviews ?

Almost sounds too good to be true!

I don't pay much attention to marketing ploys. I have what I think are two nice, well made sets of golf clubs.... Ping Raptures and Mizunos MX-20s. I have quickly learned that it's all about how I swing, rather than which clubs I use. The biggest difference I find in them is that the Mizunos are easier to hit and more comfortable... only because they have the JumboMax grips I tested through THP and I prefer and play them regularly. I see no real difference in how far I hit them; good swing and contact with a 7 iron from each set will get me 145-50 yards. I do feel like I have more control with the JumboMax, so if that company was to market that prospect, I would have to agree.

It's like all marketing, you gotta read the fine print. Same thing with auto's.

There's a reason, Ford, Dodge, and GM can all say they get the best mileage in their class, and tow the most, and haul the most.

Do want to say this: My understanding is that much of what's marketed is based on when marketing indicates you replace certain clubs. Technology marches on, but probably slower than people think.

If you replace a cell phone every 6-12 months, you probably think that cell phone manufacturing companies are lying to you about increased processor speed. Why? Because their expectation is for people to replace their phones every 24+ months. On a 2 year cycle, improvements are much more noticeable.

Golf clubs are much the same. If you get new irons every season, the improvement is very, very gradual. But marketing indicates the majority of players replace irons every 4-5 years. Imagine if you were hitting clubs from 2009-10 to now. It would probably be something of a rude awakening in terms of distance and forgiveness. But marketing doesn't say and do things for no reason. The X# yards longer is always true...it just might not be caveated the way you think. The fine print says, "Based on irons from 2009 and across 30% more of the face than 2009 models. Aftermarket shafts may be necessary to recognize differences." So the sweet spot got bigger and the club got longer and the launch angle and trajectory stayed the same...relative to 2009, when marketing says the average player is replacing their irons.

That's skewed by the "gotta have it!" crowd who gets a new bag every year, and also by guys who are replacing their Big Bertha irons...so while the marketing might be totally true, it might also be totally misleading, depending on how you approach the game.

The "take it with a grain of salt" attitude isn't born of a cynical view, so much as a realistic one, IMO.

I don't even know what to say.

Nothing to say bro, let your work do the talking. Keep plugging away and feeding THP and it's many readers the best reviews in the world. And I honestly don't even know how a company marketing thread got to forum reviews.

Nothing to say bro, let your work do the talking. Keep plugging away and feeding THP and it's many readers the best reviews in the world. And I honestly don't even know how a company marketing thread got to forum reviews.

People have their own agendas. Nothing you can do to change some people's mind but the best part is the reviews are done for EVERYONE. Not everyone will like it but the majority do.

Back