Hawthorn Ridge Golf Club Review - Aledo IL

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Hawthorn Ridge is a public course pretty much in the middle of nowhere, about 45 minutes south of the Quad Cities. It's really a hidden gem, both for the quality of the layout and the price - about $32. Conditions are so-so. Some bare spots in the fairway and the rough. Greens are pretty good, aside from one green that is in a very shaded area. Sand was pretty terrible. Really soft and prone to buried lies. This is not a high end course in many ways, but it's a fun track to play for not much money at all.

Clubhouse is nothing to write home about. Full driving range with bent grass tees and a couple good practice greens.

Plays fairly long at times. Characterized by rolling hills and undulating greens. Probably the in the top three for most challenging greens in the QC metro area in my opinion. Fun course. I wish it wasn't so far away, though it's location does make it less crowded with a faster pace of play than you'll see at many area courses. jacob and I played behind three foursomes and still finished in just over three hours.

Yardages are from the white tees, which play at 6,473 yards.

Hole 1 - Par 4 - 383 yards

Slight dog leg right. Trees on the right and a hill that feeds down to a hidden lake on the left off the tee. Green slopes hard left to right. Don't hit it right and you should be fine.

DSCN2866-L.jpg

DSCN2868-M.jpg

Hole 2 - Par 5 - 481 yards

Short one, but an initimidating tee shot with the lake running down the left side. Pretty small landing area to work with. From there, it's straight away to the green, which is smallish and slopes back to front. Green side bunker on the right front. Good par 5 here.

DSCN2869-L.jpg

DSCN2870-L.jpg

DSCN2871-L.jpg

Hole 3 - Par 4 - 333 yards

Short par 4. Not really a driver hole, though you can get away with it if you don't miss right. Big fairway bunker on right side is in play off the tee and the elevated green is surrounded by bunkers. Missing the green long puts you down a big hill that is tough to recover from.

DSCN2873-L.jpg

DSCN2874-L.jpg

Hole 4 - Par 3 - 145 yards

Short par 3. Plays slightly down hill. Smallish green with a couple bunkers. Sort of a snoozer here. Should be an easy one.

DSCN2876-L.jpg

DSCN2877-L.jpg

Hole 5 - Par 4 - 350 yards

Another hole that is played best with a hybrid. Large fairway bunker will force you to carry it with a very big drive or play short. Big greenside bunkers will get you if you're short. Fun hole.

DSCN2878-L.jpg

Hole 6 - Par 5 - 538 yards

Strong par 5 here. Tee shot is facing a large fairway bunker on the right side that is bad news. Some room to the left as long as you can stay out of the trees. Doglegs gently right until 150 yards out, when it turns 90° right towards the green. Probably the most sloped bastard of a green on the course. A big hill rises up behind the green, and with the slope of the putting surface, being back there is bad news. Play short of the pin.

DSCN2880-L.jpg

DSCN2881-L.jpg

Hole 7 - Par 4 - 411 yards

Long uphill par 4. Pretty straight hole, with a generous fairway. Difficulty comes from the length of this one. Green borders on dumb, with a bunch of rises that honestly make me wonder if they can put the pin in more than a couple places.

DSCN2882-L.jpg

DSCN2883-L.jpg

Hole 8 - Par 3 - 179 yards

Good par 3. Bunker on the right front will give you something to think about, but it's not a close to the putting surface as it looks. Another very sloped green. Misses to the right will run down a hill into a pond every time.

DSCN2885-L.jpg

Hole 9 - Par 4 - 375 yards

Narrow fairway lined by trees. Approach plays uphill to the green, which has a bunker front left.

DSCN2886-L.jpg

DSCN2887-L.jpg

Hole 10 - Par 4 - 414 yards

The back starts out tough with a long par 4. Very large fairway bunker is in play on the left side off the tee. Second shot will likely be a long one into a slightly elevated green that slopes hard back to front.

DSCN2888-L.jpg

DSCN2889-L.jpg

Hole 11 - Par 5 - 495 yards

Another good par 5. This one doglegs to the right, with a very large landing area out there. Trees to the right make things a little tricky, but aren't the end of the world. Smaller green with a number of breaks.

DSCN2890-L.jpg

DSCN2891-L.jpg

Hole 12 - Par 4 - 363 yards

Probably my favorite hole on the course. Tee shot is down a big hill around a dog leg right. Probably best off with a hybrid here. There's room to the left if you don't mind a longer approach shot. Green has water left. It slopes up to the center and then down to the back.

DSCN2892-L.jpg

DSCN2894-L.jpg

DSCN2893-L.jpg

Hole 13 - Par 3 - 158 yards

Strong uphill par 3. Trees along the right side, which makes it feel a little claustrophobic. Big greenside bunker front left that you don't want to be in (trust me :D). Green is a little spotty here. It sits in the shade much of the day. Deep green.

DSCN2895-L.jpg

Hole 14 - Par 4 - 387 yards

Downill tee shot on this dog leg right. Plenty of room out there, though there is a creek about 270 yards out. Missing right is a penalty. Green is well elevated. Harder hole than it looks like off the tee.

DSCN2897-L.jpg

DSCN2899-L.jpg

Hole 15 - Par 5 - 488 yards

Shorter par 5 that plays uphill off the tee. Tons of room off the tee. Pretty boring hole here.

DSCN2900-L.jpg

Hole 16 - Par 4 - 344 yards

Ths is a fun one. Water straight away off the tee takes driver out of your hand, unless you want to try to carry the trees on the right, which is the most fun way. Even if you're in them, you'll probably have some sort of shot to the small green.

DSCN2901-L.jpg

Hole 17 - Par 3 - 189 yards

Pretty par 3. Plays a little long. Green is huge and sloped. Fun hole.

DSCN2902-L.jpg

Hole 18 - par 4 - 390 yards

Good finisher here. Again, a large fairway bunker complex will make you think off the tee. Dog left left. Missing left is on the driving range, so good luck 1) dodging balls and 2) finding your ball. Green is good sized.

DSCN2914-L.jpg

DSCN2915-L.jpg

Really good looking course Hawk.

• Staff
Really good looking course Hawk.

Thanks. It's not bad at all. If you saw where it was you'd be amazed that there was a golf course there. It's cow town out there.

Thanks. It's not bad at all. If you saw where it was you'd be amazed that there was a golf course there. It's cow town out there.

I saw all of those trees and thought "That is not a Hawk course".

Nice looking course at a great price Hawk. Several holes look pretty darn tough, like #6 with length and a tough green and #17 at 189 looks uphill. Great job!

• Staff
I saw all of those trees and thought "That is not a Hawk course".

LOL. You've got that right. For some reason, this one doesn't bother me too much. Good pace of play makes things more attractive though.

Great pics Hawk. Course looks to be in really good shape.

The 17th looks like a fun hole, with the forced carry and sloped green.

This is closest course to me so it's where I play most. I've always said its one of the nicests public courses I've ever played. Some of the greens remind you of a putt putt course at times. Like Hawk said this place is in the middle of No where. Oh, and the hot dogs are great!

• Staff
Thanks guys. Basically zero information on this one out there on the web, so thought it would be nice to have a review.

Here's old school for you. They make you sign a carbon copy lease paper for the cart and ask for a dollar deposit on the key.

Looks good, Hawk. Really nice review.

I was also curious about the amount of trees on the course. Had to double- check that you were doing the review.

I've talked to the ownership about it. I have zero pull in Aledo though.

I've talked to the ownership about it. I have zero pull in Aledo though.
I own a chainsaw.... Just saying.

Nice write-up and pics, Hawk. Really like the look of #12.

Nice write up Hawk, seems like an incredible course for the money. Challenging and not the same old bomb and chip courses that you normally see.

Solid course review Hawk!

Can't beat $32 for a decent course on the weekend nowadays.

That's funny about the carbon copy paper and deposit! I would be like WTF?!?!

B-rad - I'll take you here if you ever come visit.

Cookie - I know right? I rarely have cash on me. Who's stealing all these cart keys anyway?

Nice one Hawk!
Looks like a pretty tough track.
I liked a lot of your thoughts and laughed multiple times, especially at #6 being a bastard of a hole and #7's dumb green. :alien:

Nice one Hawk!
Looks like a pretty tough track.
I liked a lot of your thoughts and laughed multiple times, especially at #6 being a bastard of a hole and #7's dumb green. :alien:

LOL looking back maybe I don't like it much at all.

Just to be fair. We did get out of the dollar key deposit. Maybe we didn't fit the profile of key stealers.

Teeing it up here tomorrow. Should be a good time. Need to get my putter working fast b/c these greens border on silly, but I think I'm ready.

Looks like a nice place. You've got those rolling hills out there that really make these courses look great! :) Prices are amazing too. That course is easily $50 here.

Looks like a nice place. You've got those rolling hills out there that really make these courses look great! :) Prices are amazing too. That course is easily $50 here.

No, Iowa is flat. Just ask everybody who's never been there :)

We are lucky to have lots of golf and generally low prices in the metro area. Definitely not something I take for granted.

Played there for the first time last fall. It was a little rough at the time but it has a lot of character. Quite a few holes require some solid "strategery" off of the tee. Have fun.

It is unique in many ways for the area. The guy that built it - William Spear - built a few other courses around here. One that really seems similar is Highland Springs in RI, which has the same putt-putt greens. The two courses are very similar in that regard.

Have fun at Hawthorn tomorrow Hawk. I haven't played there in over 10 years. They used to have a great twilight package. Tough course!

Back