TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

It only took a few rounds with it for me to come to the same conclusion. No driver in my bag for a little while.

I did this (no driver in my bag) for a full golf season a couple of years ago and my scoring consistency was much better and my handicap dropped. I used a Toue Edge Exotics XCG-5, 11.5* three wood with a Graphite Desigh tour AD-40 shaft which worked great in that club. I have tried the mini in 12*, but probably need to try the 14* and also tried the 2-Deep and it was no comparison, the 2-Deep was much better for me. Don't get me wrong the mini wasn't bad, the 2-Deep was that much better for me. I think the stock shaft on the 2-Deep is a much better shaft, at least for me. It might be nice if I could try either in a regular flex also. Good luck with the mini driver.

I find it very interesting that removing the driver showed those results for you. I was actually golfing without the driver all last summer and I saw the same thing. I felt bad at times for the Titleist 910 driver and 3 wood I was leaving at home but I was just doing so much better with the hybrid off the tee. I have come a long way since then but it's shocking to me how much of a difference this club has made for me.

I tried the 2deep side by side with the SLDR and it was the exact opposite for me. I guess that's why we say different stokes for different folks.

After sifting through this thread I have to try one of these. I've resisted so far because I can't imagine using less than a "maxi" driver, but it sounds like it would be perfect for tighter courses. Might be a nice weapon to add to the arsenal.

Last edited:
It's always good to have more weapons in the arsenal, and this particular weapon just happens to be the Chuck Norris of mini drivers.

I spent some time with this today and yes, I can get it off the deck without issue. Ponder on for MC.

I never tried the 2 deep as I had the 3 deep last year and didn't like it much. Not sure how much changed with it over last year or if it was a shaft issue, it just wasn't any better over my R11s 3w so I sold it. As with anything in golf certain things fit people differently, good thing is there so much stuff out there for all of us to use to help lower our scores.

forgot to add, played 36 today, used it again all day, measured every shot with it, consistently 240-245. Very content with that off the tee as that leaves me 100-175 on most par 4s from the tee boxes I play which is a manageable distance for my second shots where I shouldn't need anything longer than a 5-6i unless playing into a wind or something.

Last edited:
I spent some time with this today and yes, I can get it off the deck without issue. Ponder on for MC.
Nice dude!

For as impossible as people say this one is to play, I have to think it is easier than the freaking SLDR driver.

Nice dude!

For as impossible as people say this one is to play, I have to think it is easier than the freaking SLDR driver.

You know my stance, I don't have the issues everyone else seems to have with the SLDR. They are definitely from the same family feel wise.

You know my stance, I don't have the issues everyone else seems to have with the SLDR. They are definitely from the same family feel wise.

Off the deck, I'd imagine it'd take a bit of precision. How were mishits with it, or were you having pretty good contact?

Off the deck, I'd imagine it'd take a bit of precision. How were mishits with it, or were you having pretty good contact?

It did require some finesse, not nearly as much as the SLDR driver but my miss is towards the heel and did accentuate a hook I didn't see with the normal SLDR fairway wood. Im working on that miss right now anyway with my instructor so by Myrtle it shouldn't be an issue.

Next chance you have with it, focus on a mishit with it and measure the results vs the regular fairway. I'll do the same, we can compare notes

So I received my 14* Mini TP with the Speeder 7.3 TS my first impression was it was huge massive head and deep face and sets up a slight bit closed not really a lot but just slightly

After warming up on the range with my irons and hybrids i took a swing with the Mini off the deck hit a low bullet after a few more i was able to get nice mid ball flight i was carrying about 240-250 off the deck which is about the same as my SLDR 15* 3W and about 10-15 yards longer than my 17* SLDR 3W HL

Then it was time to hit it off the tee after playing with tee hight too low hit low bullets and too high hit it very high and a little short after figure out to put the top of ball just above the top of the club face ball was going 250-260 with ease very forgiving and easy to hit the ball a ton was very surprised how easy it was to hit i was 15-20 yards short of my driver and dead straight or a slight draw this thing is going to be a fairway finder

This club is going to be a weapon in my bag plays very similar to the 3 Deep i had similar results with that last year when i played with it a little bit

u7u9esy5.jpg

SLDR 460, SLDR Mini, SLDR 430

3umaramy.jpg

SLDR Mini SLDR HL 3W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those with both the mini and SLDR FW, is the ball flight similar off the deck, feel? I like the feel of this TP shaft, was just wondering if it would translate to the SLDR FW.

I got mine today ... 14 degree with R shaft ... only been on the range, but I like what I see .. I am able to hit if off the deck without much problem or effort ... and iSuk ... Will use at the course on Sunday ...

The feedback here is definitely making me want to hit this.

For those with both the mini and SLDR FW, is the ball flight similar off the deck, feel? I like the feel of this TP shaft, was just wondering if it would translate to the SLDR FW.

The Fairway wood has a higher flight for me the TP shaft feels similar but the 10 grams lighter in the Mini

You da man! This beast seems so deep to be able to hit off the deck comfortably yet so small to make an impact off the tee. I'm impressed, can't wait to see this bad boy in action!

Nice dude!

I thought the mini felt much better than the driver. I don't know if it was because I was making better contact with the shorter shaft or what, but it felt solid to me on every shot I hit.

Also, it may be all in my head because I know I will have one, but the SLDR S driver felt better to me than the regular SLDR.

It's always good to have more weapons in the arsenal, and this particular weapon just happens to be the Chuck Norris of mini drivers.

This is my biggest draw to the mini, I love the idea of going driver, mini, fairway, hybrid. Basically 4 different woods all with their own purpose.

This is my biggest draw to the mini, I love the idea of going driver, mini, fairway, hybrid. Basically 4 different woods all with their own purpose.

As much as i was thinking i was just going to get a tee only type club the ability to hit it from the deck really does make this thing a new weapon in the bag

Its very interesting to hear about the success off the deck people are having. Look forward to seeing that at THP Events. Played golf with multiple people from TaylorMade this past week and 2 of them had this in their bag. Neither of them attempted this and both said they carry a separate FW Wood (in this case Stage 2) for shots off the deck.

Both are competent players that hit FW Wood off the deck quite often.

When I was playing with it, it was more from the view point of "if I had to hit this off the deck, could I?". It wouldn't be my 3 wood of choice for shots off the deck.

Its very interesting to hear about the success off the deck people are having. Look forward to seeing that at THP Events. Played golf with multiple people from TaylorMade this past week and 2 of them had this in their bag. Neither of them attempted this and both said they carry a separate FW Wood (in this case Stage 2) for shots off the deck.

Both are competent players that hit FW Wood off the deck quite often.

I think that I will only hit it from the deck if I have to or can run it up safely I will mostly he hitting my 17* off the deck if it is out of range of that club I should probably be laying up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back