Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

What wedge set up do you have after the 48? On tap talk so can't see it if it's in your signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to update my sign now anyway. After the 48 W1 is a SM5 54.10 S grind then a 60.11 K grind.

I was hitting alternating shots between the W1 and my 48° SM5. Both were just as accurate on both distance and line, but the AP1 W1 is WAY more forgiving when I hit off center. The SM5 was giving about 700 RPMs more backspin, but that isn't enough for me to give up the forgiveness of the W1.

I'm so glad I took your advice on this one Hawk.

I'm glad it worked out Adam. I think modern GI irons really set up well with the set wedges, and this is a very good one. Still retains some versatility, but you get that comfort level that the added forgiveness and uniform look provide.

I need to update my sign now anyway. After the 48 W1 is a SM5 54.10 S grind then a 60.11 K grind.

Again I am way over thinking this. I have a 52 and 56 Clev. Previously I did not even have the 56 with the old iron set. Lust/desire for the 58 or 60.....

Got some figurin' ta do

Again I am way over thinking this. I have a 52 and 56 Clev. Previously I did not even have the 56 with the old iron set. Lust/desire for the 58 or 60.....

Got some figurin' ta do

I'm using the 48° for full and partial swings. The 54 and 60 wedges are for partial swings only. Its a tip JB posted a while back to use more forgiving clubs for full swings and only use the so called "true" wedges for partial shots. I say if the 52 and 56 Clev wedges are working for you, don't change them.

Spent some time in between the rain last night at the range. I snagged the demo set of AP1s with the XP95 shaft to do a little side-by-side. I'm seriously thinking about making the switch to the XP95 shaft. One of the courses near me has a demo set that Titleist will let you take out onto the course for a round. I'm gonna see if I can set something up for next week to do on on course comparison, since that is where it really matters most.

I'm about to upgrade my old R11's with these, the gap question has me going crazy also..., I used to carry PW, AW from the set and then my ATV 56 and 60. Now with the AP1's I have one more club..., not sure if I should get the AP1 52 or jump from the 48 to a 54-58 wedge set!

I'm selling my old set completely so keeping my ATV's is not an option.

aaaahhhh!!!!!

I went with a 52 and 56, two Cleve CG-14 wedges I had. The AP1 48 deg AW just a little too strong from 90-100 yds, and the 52 is just about right.

I'm about to upgrade my old R11's with these, the gap question has me going crazy also..., I used to carry PW, AW from the set and then my ATV 56 and 60. Now with the AP1's I have one more club..., not sure if I should get the AP1 52 or jump from the 48 to a 54-58 wedge set!

I'm selling my old set completely so keeping my ATV's is not an option.

aaaahhhh!!!!!

I got both the 48 and 52 AP1 set wedges then added a 56 vokey. I love this set up since I tend to use the set wedges for a lot of full shots. They are great for that and I spent some time with 40 to 60 yard pitches with them and they are really good for that too. About the only time I use the vokey is sand shots and when i need to pop a ball up over a trap or similar obstacle, and for short chips to elevated greens. Not sure the 52 wouldn't do those fine but I like the extra loft for those shots.

So many potential options and iron sets tested in the last year. I'm extremely pleased that I chose these. I think the reshaft/weighting work I did was maybe the best and most helpful club work I've ever done. Glad I had the patience and took the time to do it right. Speaking with my instructor, we're noticing that swing changes may have taken some of the flatness out of my swing (not a bad thing), which is resulting not only in some divot action, but toe heavy divot action. Immediately prior to my Morgan Cup gear selection we are going to get on a lie board and see if any changes need made. Glad that I'm not in a huge rush there, as I'd definitley like a few more weeks to work on changes before making a call like that. If it's determined that I can use an adjustment I'll do that with these first. Looking at potential choices heading into the Morgan Cup, I think these will be similar to anything I choose to play, so there's that benefit as well.

I'm a believer in tungsten weighting and knowing I could potentially have the same technology available in my Morgan Cup irons is comforting. In terms of forgiveness, tons of testing has shown that these will hang with pretty much anything else on the market that I've tried. Maybe subtle differences, and they won't peform quite at the level of the SGI's out there, but nothing in the same class has shown superiority over these for me. Same goes for distance. Subtle differences here and there, but they've been within a couple yards of everything on the market that I've put my hands on.

Accuracy is in my opinion an overstated quality by most, but testing on the monitor and outdoors continues to show I hit these straighter and closer to center than other options. Swing work is making that progressively better too, so I think the coming months are really going to be good ones with these in the bag.

Used the W1 twice today and both time I stuck it close. Loving that club.

I brought a demo AP1 7i onto the course with me today just to see if I should pursue some more forgiving irons.

For a GI iron I really like the AP1 and it looks just fine to me at address. It definitely gets the ball up quick and is easier to hit straight than my J40's. As far as distance goes, when both are hit on the screws my 7i keeps up with the AP1 7i despite the AP1 having a stronger loft and a higher launch. When I hit both poorly the AP1 loses about 10-15 yards and still flies straight; the J40 loses 25 yards and hooks. I'm thinking I may have seen more distance out of the AP1 but it was just a case of an ill-fitting shaft as it had a Dynalite R300 in it.

If I do decide to switch to a more forgiving iron I think the AP1 and the Apex will have a shootout.

After spending some more time with these this weekend I really want to make the switch. I can't put my finger on what exactly is better or worse about these compared to my DPCs but they are just 'easier' without being massive and ugly.

I'm sick of being the worst ball striker with irons in a foursome and having the hardest to hit irons. Time for a change.

Definitely more cavity there than the DPC's, not to mention the tungsten insert.

Ordered the AP1 52* Wedge yesterday, been having way to much success with the 48* and always use the AP1 48* over the Cleveland 52* thats in the bag already.

Still just absolutely loving these clubs, I can't see switching to something else any time soon.

Very nice. I may add one here in the late season.

After spending some more time with these this weekend I really want to make the switch. I can't put my finger on what exactly is better or worse about these compared to my DPCs but they are just 'easier' without being massive and ugly.

I'm sick of being the worst ball striker with irons in a foursome and having the hardest to hit irons. Time for a change.

Part of the reason i switched to the CB3s was forgiveness, and i can honestly say they have given me 3-4 strokes a round in that some misses i have had still put me in position to make a putt. In just simply swinging the AP1 7 iron at Golf Galaxy, it's made he think these could give me even more options than the CB3s. I am looking around for a rental set to see about getting them out on the course.

So after a long delay, but worth the wait in the long run, finally got my order in yesterday.

Spent a bunch of time with these today, comparing the AP1 against the Apex with the same shaft in each. I came away with a strong desire for either iron but I'm leaning towards the AP1 just due to it being more affordable and a little more forgiving, at least to me.
I got pretty much identical performance out of the 7 irons and the 5 irons with the AP1 launching a bit higher, flying a touch further, and landing a bit steeper. Feel is pretty arbitrary and tough to pinpoint but I think the AP1 irons fall short of the Apex in this regard. I really liked the AP1 AW and didn't really get along with the Apex AW for some reason, it just seems to sit funny behind the ball and takes some confidence away for me. I really felt like as long as I hit the face of the AP1 with the ball it didn't matter where, the ball would fly in the right direction and wouldn't lose too much distance whereas the Apex were a touch more demanding.

Luckily, I don't think there's a wrong decision here. I feel kind of stupid for never giving the 712 AP1s a real chance last year but I'm sure glad I swung the 714.

I went through a fitting for some AP1's and the results weren't too surprising.
Standard length, 2* Flat, True Temper Dynalite XP shafts in reg flex. It was weird but the Dynalites feel and perform very similar to the PXi from what I saw, and by flexing down they seemed to fly noticeably higher. They carry about 1.5 clubs longer than my J40's, which is understandable due to the 4* loft difference in each club.

Ponder on.

This is the best reason in the world to look at more forgiving clubs. I'm still loving my AP1s, particularly the overall improved accuracy I'm getting which I attribute at least in part to the fact I can get away with hits out toward the toe. The Callaway Apex you have been looking at are no slouches either, but for me the AP1 just looks better for some reason.

Good luck with the decision!

Just pulled the trigger on the Ap1s, stock regular steel shaft. Added a 54 and a 58 SM5 wedges in there also.

Sold my R11s to a friend because i wanted to get something more forgiving. I hope these end up being a true upgrade :)

Just pulled the trigger on the Ap1s, stock regular steel shaft. Added a 54 and a 58 SM5 wedges in there also.

Sold my R11s to a friend because i wanted to get something more forgiving. I hope these end up being a true upgrade :)

Hope you love them. Did you get the 48 I assume?

I've got some AP1's on the way as well. 4-PW,48,52.

Hawk, going to the local CC Tuesday to have them build me a demo iron from the SureFit "bag". Not as many options as the Cart, but a start. Also, looking at heading to Las Vegas Golf Superstore in Vegas in 2 weeks to get a fitting- it's just a little over a mile from where I'm staying. Gonna finally look into these!!!

Hope you love them. Did you get the 48 I assume?

Yeah 4-W1

Back