Thinking about giving it up

willybilly

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been golfing for four years and in that time I've made huge strides. I've reached my goal of not being a total embarrassment on the course. I've dedicated three days a week to my local nine hole course. I've invested in lessons and countless dollars in equipment.

I'm just not feeling it this year. It's been a long winter and spring has been incredibly wet. The weather has been a total downer. Due to the reasons stated, I've lost a lot of motivation to play.

Another thing is, I took up the game at 36 years old. So I'm a late starter. Is it really worth putting the time and effort in to play when I'm so far past my prime at 40. How many good years do I really have left anyway?

I'm seriously at a crossroads. I love golf. It's my passion. The Golf Channel never is off on my tv. But recently, I've found myself not caring as much and watching golf way less frequently. So I don't know what to do.

Has anybody else ever faced this sort of thing? Is it a phase? Is there a way to re devote oneself?

Full disclosure: raining cats and dogs here and I'm not going to be able to play again today.

Sorry for my ramble. Been off my Paxil too long:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im 36 and playing better and hitting the ball farther then I did in my 20's. If at 40 you think your past your prime I say you are wrong.

I took up golf at 28, gave it up after 2 years because I didn't have the time to dedicate to it. Took it up again 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. Set realistic expectations, and have fun. Take a break if you're not feeling it, but don't close to door....you never know.

I've been going through the same thing for awhile now, and I really don't mind it. I use to play turneys for awile but I realised it's not for me. Now I golf when I want to, and I have more fun.

Take a short break. I took it up 2 years ago at 36, last year was my first "real" year of playing. I'm still trying to get a handle on what the heck I'm doing, I'll have 2-3 straight times of decent ball striking and then 2-3 of utter garbage. If you're not feeling it, try stepping back a bit, maybe turn off the Golf channel and stay away from boards/online instruction for a bit just to clear your head.

It's a decision you have to make yourself, but sounds like you've made great strides to get to your handicap. I'd think about why you enjoy the game and if you either can't think of anything or none of the reasons apply any more, then take some time away and re evaluate in a while. As far as age goes, my Dad and countless others are still improving and striving for their best golf; that's one thing I like about this game. You can never stop improving.

Good luck to you and I hope you re-discover your enjoyment of golf.

I think passions come and go sonetimes. I've had various moments in my life where my obsessive tendencies have been focused on one thing or another. I don't think losing your lust for golf means that you should quit, but maybe its an opportunity to throw your energy into something new and different. Find something that stokes that fire back up. Golf will always be there and when you come back to the game, I think that you ll find a fresh outlook.

Started at 46 so you have plenty if time! I do get those thoughts, but playing golf and softball keeps me feeling young, and older at the same time. Having some great THP members around helps the motivation as well! Gloomy weather has that affect on most people too. Hang in there the sun will come out.

If you don't like weather, it would probably be a good idea to give up golf, which is played outside, in the... weather....

Because the only thing you're complaining about in your post is... the weather.

...I'm just not feeling it this year. It's been a long winter and spring has been incredibly wet. The weather has been a total downer....

First and foremost you need to do what makes you happy. I'm almost 51 and took a 10 year break at about 35 or 36. I'm playing some of the best golf of my life right now, so the age issue should be of no concern for you. The question to ask I would think is not IF you should hang it up, but WHY is it not bringing you enjoyment any longer. When you find out the answer to that, you will know if you should adjust and keep playing or walk away.

JM

If you don't like weather, it would probably be a good idea to give up golf, which is played outside, in the... weather....

Because the only thing you're complaining about in your post is... the weather.

IMO weather plays a big part. Regardless of reason having to get out in it. Especially as one gets older.

He already answered this question: "The weather has been a total downer."

...The question to ask I would think is... WHY is it not bringing you enjoyment any longer....

Good years are behind you? At 40? Or is it just the rain? Maybe moving to a low rainfall warm climate area like AZ? Or simply taking a vitamin D3 supplement during the winter and rainy spring when you can't get in the sunshine would help as well.

Golf is a game for a lifetime. I've known several people that have played well into their 80's. There's a putting green at one course near where I grew up that was named after a gentleman that once he couldn't swing any more he'd come out and put and chip. He was 90-something and still getting after it.

If you picked the game up at 36 and in just 4 years have got your handicap down to 12.5, I say you need to get back at it and keep dropping it. But you have to decide if you really truly enjoy the game. I (and I'm sure a whole lot of others in here), have rain gear and I play the game rain or shine, wind or calm, cold or hot... I just love the challenge... the course, the elements, the competition, the comradery...

If rain and wet conditions are enough to keep you away, maybe you need to reevaluate what you're truly passionate about.

Giving it up is not like putting a pet down. At any moment you can get back into it. It's not like you play for a living. You play for fun, and in my case satisfaction of improving. So either take a break or buy a new driver

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If you are past you prime then I am way past mine as I'll be 50 in January, except I hit the ball better and farther than I did when I was 20. I have periods when I eat, sleep, and drink golf, and can get kinda burned out at times. For me it's really just my ADD showing than anything else.
At any rate, I agree with those who say maybe you just need a break. You could also try to learn something new about the game such as focusing on learning how to hit various shots, or even just mixing things up a little like one club holes and so on. New clubs have been known to give one a fresh shot of vigor for the game as well.

I started playing at 6 years old. I'm over 50 and playing the best golf of my life and hitting the ball farther than ever. All you need is to chip the ball in or shoot a great round and you'll love the game again.

I took the game up at 34 and I am now 42. I feel like I am just starting to hit the ball like I should and I still feel like I can get even better - much better.

I think you said it - the weather can take a toll on anyone's passion. Fun playing golf indoors has a short shelf life.

It sounds like you have worked extremely hard to improve your game and it sounds like you love golf.

I say take a break, get outside and I think you are going to find that passion come back pretty quickly.

I've been golfing for four years and in that time I've made huge strides. I've reached my goal of not being a total embarrassment on the course. I've dedicated three days a week to my local nine hole course. I've invested in lessons and countless dollars in equipment.

I'm just not feeling it this year. It's been a long winter and spring has been incredibly wet. The weather has been a total downer. Due to the reasons stated, I've lost a lot of motivation to play.

Another thing is, I took up the game at 36 years old. So I'm a late starter. Is it really worth putting the time and effort in to play when I'm so far past my prime at 40. How many good years do I really have left anyway?

I'm seriously at a crossroads. I love golf. It's my passion. The Golf Channel never is off on my tv. But recently, I've found myself not caring as much and watching golf way less frequently. So I don't know what to do.

Has anybody else ever faced this sort of thing? Is it a phase? Is there a way to re devote oneself?

Full disclosure: raining cats and dogs here and I'm not going to be able to play again today.

Sorry for my ramble. Been off my Paxil too long:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we all have set backs, we all hit walls...

If this is truly a passion, then obviously quitting is not in the cards. Is it possible your not finding the enjoyment you expected? Could it be your not playing with the people that best fit? Are your expectations realistic? I just turned 50, when I was younger I thought I was passionate about golf. Then I became active here, made some very dear friends that have similar interest, continue to learn more about the game, the equipment, and that passion continues to evolve.

Take some time off. I took a forced year off last year but in retrospect it was great that it happened.

I was almost 50 when I started ... As recreational golfer I say cannot track the "fun factor" solely by the score card ...

Some of my best rounds where 100+ ... But the fun factor with friends was also a 100+ ... Some stories we still laugh at to this day ...

I'm worried now. Played very occasionally and now this is my first chance to play a bit. And I'm 55! Loving it.. Hope you find it again

As a 40 year old, I'm hitting the ball further and straighter than I ever have (still can't hole a putt over 3 feet though :angry:). Everyone goes through stages where they threaten to stick the clubs on eBay or whatever. All it takes is one shot though to keep you hooked. You say it's your passion, sure it won't be long before the spark is reignighted.

The only reason I took up golf was to have something to do when I got older (took up at 30ish). Don't be afraid to take a year or two off, just know that you have to commit to coming back or you may not.

Yeah good weather comes and goes.

You can play into your 90's! My next door neighbor does. I've almost given it up because of my constant tweaking and, therefore, I lack a "known" and trustworthy swing. I used to be a 5 handicap before my brain took over. I'm very frustrated at the moment. But, I love the game too much and I know that 70's are out there. I just need to focus on practicing my short game instead of tinkering with my full swing.

Some take a break and come back better than ever. Some don't. I wouldn't ever give it up, though.

Well, I'm 71 years old, and a long way from being even a low handicap player. I've had cancer twice, and am still fighting the second bout with it. I and nearly any other high handicapper play for the enjoyment and the company. The group I play with every Tuesday has 100+ guys in it. They range in age from 60 to 87. Golf is truly a game for a lifetime. My advice, maybe take a week two off, then go out and enjoy your round. Don't get sucked into having to play for money every time you go to the course. One other thing, Try and play a few other courses. They will present new challenges for you and maybe make the game seem new once again.

Back