Odyssey Putters Thread

Question for you tankers, the black plug is the 5g weight, correct?

TNT, I gravitate to a bit of a heavier head, so this will be the starting point, but I am going to try it with the 5g head as well

Question for you tankers, the black plug is the 5g weight, correct?

TNT, I gravitate to a bit of a heavier head, so this will be the starting point, but I am going to try it with the 5g head as well

yes brad on the 5g

That black shaft & grip look awesome jlukes!

Finally settled on the 370g weight for the WHP 2ball. My lag putts with it in the last couple rounds have been awesome. Made some decent length ones as well. Digging the heavier head weight. Definitely the front runner in my putter stable right now.

Just hopped back on the Odyssey band wagon with a Metal X #7 34" and gripped it with my fav WinnPro X 1.18, only one round in but really liking it.
HrXWg4Dl.jpg

I wanted to hop in with my thoughts after my first round with the Tank Cruiser 330M Sunday. A little bit of background for me: I've never played with a counterbalance putter before, but have always been drawn to "mid-mallet" styles of putters and they have always set up well for my eye. Last year, I played a Bettinardi Queen B Model 3, which is a bit heavier in head weight than your "normal" putter. I adjusted really well to this putter and felt extremely comfortable when lining up putts and it performed pretty well for me this past year and into the start of 2014.

Fast forward to the beginning of May and I was fit for the 330M for the 2014 Morgan Cup. It has basically the same head shape and plumber's neck as my Bettinardi, the only difference is it being counterbalanced.

I started with the 20g weights in the head and the 15 in the shaft, as my fitter said that having the heavier weights in the head would smooth out my stroke a bit and allow for a bit more consistency. One thing I noticed right off the bat is the WHP insert is 100% different than the honey combed milled face from the Bettinardi. It has a much softer feel and as I was working with it on the practice green, I was leaving a lot of putts short.

Sound is another big part of the equation too, just a much different feel than what I am used to with the Bettinardi. One thing I do like, is there is a distinct sound when you hit the center of the insert and one when you are off center. The off center sound is not harsh, but definitely less muted. That tangible sound feedback is something I have really grown to enjoy in my short time with the putter.

My big issue starting through the first few holes was alignment, the 330M has two lines on the outside of the cavity to help frame the ball, while the Bettinardi has a center alignment aid in the middle of the cavity. This took a bit of getting used to TBH and I struggled with alignment on the front 9 of my round. I even uncharacteristically missed a few inside 3 feet, something I don't usually do. The back nine was much better, sunk a few 8 footers and also was much more consistent on those shorter 3-4 fters.

Overall, I am really happy with this putter. I think after a bit of an adjustment period and playing around with the counterbalance weights, I feel the confidence with this putter will give me will be invaluable. It's just a matter of playing with the weights. My next round, I am going to pull the 15g out of the shaft and put the 5g in, that way it really gives me that heavy head feel that I have come to really enjoy in my putters. I'll continue updating as I get more rounds in.

Can't wait to start posting some thoughts in here. I've got a Protype #7 and a 2-ball Tank headed my way soon thanks to kc720! The #7 model is a shape that looks to be very similar to my Ping Scottsdale TR Tomcat S and in limited practice with the 2-ball, I really enjoyed how it looks over the ball.

Great write-up, Brad. Quick question - if you prefer heavier feeling heads, is there a reason you chose to go with a counter-balanced putter?

I wanted to hop in with my thoughts after my first round with the Tank Cruiser 330M Sunday. A little bit of background for me: I've never played with a counterbalance putter before, but have always been drawn to "mid-mallet" styles of putters and they have always set up well for my eye. Last year, I played a Bettinardi Queen B Model 3, which is a bit heavier in head weight than your "normal" putter. I adjusted really well to this putter and felt extremely comfortable when lining up putts and it performed pretty well for me this past year and into the start of 2014.

Fast forward to the beginning of May and I was fit for the 330M for the 2014 Morgan Cup. It has basically the same head shape and plumber's neck as my Bettinardi, the only difference is it being counterbalanced.

I started with the 20g weights in the head and the 15 in the shaft, as my fitter said that having the heavier weights in the head would smooth out my stroke a bit and allow for a bit more consistency. One thing I noticed right off the bat is the WHP insert is 100% different than the honey combed milled face from the Bettinardi. It has a much softer feel and as I was working with it on the practice green, I was leaving a lot of putts short.

Sound is another big part of the equation too, just a much different feel than what I am used to with the Bettinardi. One thing I do like, is there is a distinct sound when you hit the center of the insert and one when you are off center. The off center sound is not harsh, but definitely less muted. That tangible sound feedback is something I have really grown to enjoy in my short time with the putter.

My big issue starting through the first few holes was alignment, the 330M has two lines on the outside of the cavity to help frame the ball, while the Bettinardi has a center alignment aid in the middle of the cavity. This took a bit of getting used to TBH and I struggled with alignment on the front 9 of my round. I even uncharacteristically missed a few inside 3 feet, something I don't usually do. The back nine was much better, sunk a few 8 footers and also was much more consistent on those shorter 3-4 fters.

Overall, I am really happy with this putter. I think after a bit of an adjustment period and playing around with the counterbalance weights, I feel the confidence with this putter will give me will be invaluable. It's just a matter of playing with the weights. My next round, I am going to pull the 15g out of the shaft and put the 5g in, that way it really gives me that heavy head feel that I have come to really enjoy in my putters. I'll continue updating as I get more rounds in.

Great feedback and curious to see how the lighter weight in the shaft feels.

While you were testing during your fitting, did you put lighter weights in the head and heavier in the shaft? just curious if the insert was the main reason or if lighter weight might help with leaving putts short.

Great write-up, Brad. Quick question - if you prefer heavier feeling heads, is there a reason you chose to go with a counter-balanced putter?

I rolled this too well at the fitting for the fitter to ignore it. So basically, I was following the fitter's advice completely. That's why he talked about manipulating the weights around a bit when I do eventually get it to help me replicate the feel that I like. There's gonna be a bit of an adjustment period, and 100% of the reason why I bought one before Myrtle.

Great feedback and curious to see how the lighter weight in the shaft feels.

While you were testing during your fitting, did you put lighter weights in the head and heavier in the shaft? just curious if the insert was the main reason or if lighter weight might help with leaving putts short.

We didn't, and looking back, I wish we would have a bit, we were running out of time and he had another person waiting for a lesson. We tested it with the 15 in both sides. Who knows, that might be the ideal setup, but the reason I am going to put the 5 in the shaft is exactly what you just said, I'm curious to see if the insert or the weight was making that much of a difference.

The 330M is a beauty Brad. Glad that you like it.

Is there any toe hang on that putter? I'm planning on tinkering with some CBs after July, and this looks like a solid candidate.

So the WHP 2Ball may have just solidified itself in the bag. Had one brain-fart 3 jack and five one-putts for 32 putts yesterday. Not crazy good but not bad at all... Doesn't hurt that it helped me shoot a PB. :D My confidence on lag putting with this putter has been a little free-ing. If I'm short sided, no problem. Just get on and take care of it with the putter. 150 yards out? Just hit it to the middle and get on, put the putter in my hands. Trying to simplify my game, just aiming for greens as opposed to shooting at pins. It's hard for me to do that if I don't have confidence in my putter giving me a solid chance for a 1 or 2-putt.

The 330M is a beauty Brad. Glad that you like it.

Is there any toe hang on that putter? I'm planning on tinkering with some CBs after July, and this looks like a solid candidate.

I will check for you my friend, haven't put it through the toe hang balance test yet. You're of course more than welcome to roll it in Myrtle too.

I now have a few rounds with the Cruiser #1 under my belt and it's exactly what I was hoping for. A well balanced blade that works well on fast and normal greens. I have the heavier weights in the head and lightest in the handle. This has allowed for a very smooth stroke on various speed greens. This pasty week I rolled it well on very fast greens. I adjusted the length of my stroke to accommodate for the speed. The putter is helping me to make putts and that is the most important thing. But the feedback and feel are great by products. I am very comfortable with the putter and look forward to the next round.

I will check for you my friend, haven't put it through the toe hang balance test yet. You're of course more than welcome to roll it in Myrtle too.

I will gladly tak-- try it in MB. Haha.

I now have a few rounds with the Cruiser #1 under my belt and it's exactly what I was hoping for. A well balanced blade that works well on fast and normal greens. I have the heavier weights in the head and lightest in the handle. This has allowed for a very smooth stroke on various speed greens. This pasty week I rolled it well on very fast greens. I adjusted the length of my stroke to accommodate for the speed. The putter is helping me to make putts and that is the most important thing. But the feedback and feel are great by products. I am very comfortable with the putter and look forward to the next round.

Tank Cruiser has a WHP insert, correct?

How does it compare in feel to the Versa insert? Does the weighting give it a different feel as well? Meaning, can you adjust the weight and give a different feel at impact?

Tank Cruiser has a WHP insert, correct?

How does it compare in feel to the Versa insert? Does the weighting give it a different feel as well? Meaning, can you adjust the weight and give a different feel at impact?

I believe that they are the exact same, but I know Jman has said he definitely noticed a difference between the two, he was rolling one better than the other if I remember correctly, not 100% sure though.

I believe that they are the exact same, but I know Jman has said he definitely noticed a difference between the two, he was rolling one better than the other if I remember correctly, not 100% sure though.

By makeup they are the same, but the materials and locations used in the rest of the heads for the vesra compared to the WHP's does lead to a slight difference in audible feedback and thusly feel. Buck and I both agree about this, he even talked to Harry about it at one point because he was surprised they felt so different since their makeup is literally identical. Same insert, yes, but application varies a bit which for many will lead to a feel difference.

By makeup they are the same, but the materials and locations used in the rest of the heads for the vesra compared to the WHP's does lead to a slight difference in audible feedback and thusly feel. Buck and I both agree about this, he even talked to Harry about it at one point because he was surprised they felt so different since their makeup is literally identical. Same insert, yes, but application varies a bit which for many will lead to a feel difference.

what james said.... i felt like this one was a little closer to the Versa feel than the WHP personal opinion... and i still find it funny that they are the same exact inserts i would have never thought that. cause i honestly did not care for the feel of the versa at all and i LOVE the WHP

Well it came in, just not in one piece

That poor club. How does that happen!? Looks like someone got upset with the package and gave it the ole back breaker over the knee.

Yowch. That's awful. Hope it was insured.

What the hell! How does that even happen!?

Box was a little banged up, but no biggie until i heard some rattling in there. Open it up and two pieces come out.

No biggie I called and have another on the way ASAP & I'll get this one back to them.

Wow that sucks!!! Glad you're getting a replacement tho, we all fear that happening

Back