2014 Love Is In The Air - New THP Event

I hear the train a comin'
It's rolling round the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when,
I'm stuck in old Ohio, and time keeps draggin' on
But that train keeps a rollin' on down to Barberton
When I was just a baby, my mama told me, "Son,
Always be a good boy; don't ever play with clubs."
But I shot a tree in Hilton Head, just to watch it die.
When I hear that golf ball knockin' I hang my head and cry.

Well, a rambling thoughts recap is long overdue.

What a great weekend this was. Definitely had a different vibe than every other THP event I've attended.

The resort had everything you could ever want, and most of it complimentary. Great for couples or for families. We may be revisiting with the kids.

The pitch n putt was a fun little course. Tiny greens and short holes, but you could play 9 in less than 30 minutes. Yes, please!

What a swimming pool. Beautiful rock features/waterfalls and remote waitress call buttons on the beach chairs. Yes, I'm too lazy to go to the bar and get a drink.

Meet and greet at the THP suite was a good time. Meeting a bunch of new THPers and no one was weird (does that mean I was the strange one?)

Think its been mentioned before, but the men of THP married up in a freakin big way.

Holy buffet batman! JB and GG picking up the tab at the Gaylord Palms was an unexpected treat. I think my wife is still there eating that truffle stuff.

Saturday morning we gathered at the OC practice area as the excitement builds. Biggest driving range I've ever seen, and the practice green was massive too. Oops, the greens running about twice as fast as our just out of winter hybernation carpets up north.

What is it with me and first tees at THP events? A topped freakin hybrid makes me about 3 for 10 so far at officially sanctioned THP first tees. I may be going with 9 iron next. Somehow salvaged an 81 after being +5 after 3 holes.

Sparksjr, Troyfl and TnT making the round a great one. Sparks and Troy go low making the game look easy. TnT showing great strides with his winter lessons, and his game is going to be formidable for the Morgan Cup.

Crooked Cat is a fun track and was in great shape.

Ward forgot to wear a hat and was a deep shade of Buckjob by the 18th. His head went great with his red shirt at dinner. Bet his wife picked out the clothes.

Kobe Steakhouse where "eating continuously until your pants fail" happens. The lobster and steak were really good, and 441 looked more awkward when they forced the paper chef birthday hat over his giant noggin than when Coers made JB putt out from 3 inches.

JB's party drink in a giant ashtray was hideous. JB telling everyone to try it, "its awful, you have to try it". He didn't get many takers with that hard sell.

Sunday morning, husbands and wives playing together, ATLGolfer waiting in the wings with divorce papers.

Got to play with JB and GG, Dhartmann and Becky, Erky and Jamie. What a great crew.

So cool that JB and Morgan got to participate fully in this event. Doesn't happen at too many others and made this one that much better.

A lovely triple bogie to start the round. Can I just start THP events at hole 4?

The girls can flat out roll the rock! Pretty sure I would have taken more putts than my wife if I had been putting this round. She lagged a 90+ footer over a ridge to about a foot. Every girl in our group made at least one putt over 10 feet.

I hit my best shot of the year on a back 9 par 5. 230 yards uphill to less than 3 feet for eagle. Good thing I wasn't putting.

Lots and lots of laughter this round, and some pretty decent golf thrown in too. JB and Morgan play the front 9 like tour pros, graciously leak some oil on the back to give everyone else a chance.

After trying to give my wife some "advice" on a putt, she tells me "I got this" and proceeds to sink the 15 footer to shut me up.

Erky's better half sinking a delicate downhill 20+ footer her first day ever playing golf. She played a ball so bright it burned my retinas.

It only took my wife 17 holes to figure out on which side of the marker to place the ball on the green.

Overall, this event is a contender for the best THP event I've ever been a part of. We were spoiled, got to spend a mini-vacation with our better halves and met so many great people. I for one will be severely disappointed if this event doesn't make its way back on the calendar for 2015.

Thank you 441 for all the work getting us into that fantastic resort and playing those excellent courses. For the price we payed, this weekend was a ridiculous bargain.

Thank you Josh and Morgan for dreaming up these fantastic outings. Getting to share THP with our wives was a highlight of my time at THP. Hearing so many say they want to do this again warms the cockles of my heart.

Thank you everyone who attended with us. What a great group of people you all are. I sincerely hope we get to hang out with all of you again next year.

I recently started a ball and bag tag display. I added 4 balls from this event. An OCN ball, my ball from Saturday, since it's rare I use only one ball and I shot my best score of the year, and then Jamie's balls from Sunday, The Golden Snitch and The Silver Streak.

equhe6em.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

Spoke a lot about this event out in California this past week.
I can tell you now, that this will most likely be coming back in 2015...But it will evolve.
#GetExcited

I can tell you now, that this will most likely be coming back in 2015...But it will evolve.
#GetExcited

Sounds excellent!

Awesome! I wasn't around for sign ups the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#GetExcited

Great to hear that it will be back next year!

I am probably the worst golfer in the history of the world!!

We are excited!

G-rex is excited

2014 Love Is In The Air - New THP Event

Ummm evolve??? That could never happen...who am I trying to kid...this is THP?!?! Going to be awesome

Last edited:
#GetExcited

Must get into this one.. the other half will want to come for sure

San Diego has some great golf and spas.

Just saying. :)

Where's the waiting list? Count us in. Wife has the golf bug BAD now. :)

#GetExcited
After my wife tuned in this year, I hope it works into our schedule next year!

This awesome news! Can't wait till next year. Hopefully we can do it again. Got a young man graduating so we'll see.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#GetExcited

Let me guess: The women tee off from the tips.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

You guys Crack me up.

Let me guess: The women tee off from the tips.
This. Please ... so I can heckle my wife as bad as she did to me this past event.

We're up for the "New and Improved LIITA event". Excited to see what is in store for this event next year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#GetExcited

Well if your gonna bring such an amazing event back then we will be back to partake in all the amazingness of the weekend.

I can't wait to see how this one evolves but I have a few ideas as to what could be up your sleeves!

Just a heads up in case this is of any interest to anybody: I was just on the phone with Hyatt about a mistake with my points from a trip I took the week after LIITA. As you know, the Grand Cypress trip wasn't points eligible, as you didn't book your room directly through Hyatt. However, all purchases you made at the hotel were points eligible (valet, drinks at the bar, food, etc.). That might not be significant, but it gave me an extra 926 points with platinum bonus. If I hadn't asked, I wouldn't have received them, because I didn't give my Hyatt number at check-in.

Back