Edel Custom Wedges Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great review Hawk. Some very good info about this wedge. Edel does have a good looking wedge here.

Great review Hawk. Appreciate the info.

Great write up Hawk, always great to see a company really wanting to help out the golfers and get you to want to lower that score.

Wonderfully thorough review, Ryan. Lots of grind options in a fairly unique package...just not sure I'd ever shell out $195+ for a wedge.

Used the configuration tool for fun, and that many grind options is certainly nice to have, and the education piece on what each grind is supposed to do was helpful. For $195, I would have expected more options for shafts, grips, and even length increments of 1/4". It's a completely custom price without full customization in my opinion.

The instructor i took my Aimpoint class just got these and was very high on them. They look great. if i was in the wedge market i'd def put them on my ponder list.

Well done Hawk. Sounds like the wedges performed pretty decent for you. With all the grinds they have I'd imagine you could find one to work for almost anything. But I don't think they'd ever do enough for me to warrant spending $195.

Thanks for the comments fellas. Price is up there, but no different than other custom wedges (outside Hopkins). $250/wedge is not unheard of with the custom OEM wedges at this point. That said, I understand the sentiment completely. Lot of money to spend on a wedge.

Thanks for the comments fellas. Price is up there, but no different than other custom wedges (outside Hopkins). $250/wedge is not unheard of with the custom OEM wedges at this point. That said, I understand the sentiment completely. Lot of money to spend on a wedge.

But they look cool! hahaha i did custom 588s and i loved them very expensive and i'd honestly prob never do it again but it was fun to design them and they looked great. its a once in a lifetime sorta deal.

But they look cool! hahaha i did custom 588s and i loved them very expensive and i'd honestly prob never do it again but it was fun to design them and they looked great. its a once in a lifetime sorta deal.

For sure. In reality, if I had the money, which many people playing the game do, I'd have no issue with paying a premium for a custom build like this.

Also to note - just becuase it's not available on the wedge designer doesn't mean it's not available. Edel does a bunch of truly custom work and invite inquiries according to their website.

Great review Hawk.

IMO that is one ugly wedge. But if it works like they say it does.

I'm actually in the market now and have been looking into a bunch of wedge set alternatives, and both Hopkins & Skor are both significantly lower. Who would you put them in parallel with? I really do like this wedges, but the premium just seems out of sight versus what at least 2 competitors have offered, plus all the major OEM's I've looked at.

edit: not to take away from the great review...in fact, that's why i'm probably so bothered by the price, because everything else about them screams "buy me".

I'm actually in the market now and have been looking into a bunch of wedge set alternatives, and both Hopkins & Skor are both significantly lower. Who would you put them in parallel with? I really do like this wedges, but the premium just seems out of sight versus what at least 2 competitors have offered, plus all the major OEM's I've looked at.

edit: not to take away from the great review...in fact, that's why i'm probably so bothered by the price, because everything else about them screams "buy me".

Vokey and Cleveland, which are really the only two others doing custom work like this. Hopkins does at a much lower price than the other three. Basically talking paintfill/grinds/stamping when I reference custom.

Thanks for the review Hawk...27 deg of bounce on that Digger? No chance to get stuck in the turf.

Thanks for the review Hawk...27 deg of bounce on that Digger? No chance to get stuck in the turf.

It's definitely different. Both actually have very high rear bounce, but forward bounce that keeps them from skipping off the turf at impact. The DGR was pretty stubby on greenside shots for me though.

Nice review Hawk, pretty cool offering they have here.

I really like the stamping options in addition to the font they use. Just a tad bit pricier than competitors but very solid grind options.

Appears to be a solid wedge for those that want and know exactly what they need.

Great review Ryan intresting looking wedge the astetics just look a bit clunky to me

Great review Hawk....
As one who actually plays Edel wedges, I love mine. I was fit for them by their custom fitter, and it was a pretty eye-opening experience. Within 3 swings of each bounce option I was able to find the one that I liked the most. I have the 60 Digger, 55 and 50 in Driver, so the highest bounce options available.

Like Hawk's review the leading edge sits low and the head shape is very versatile. I have no problems hitting lobs with the 50 degree wedge on tightly cut fairways. I even tried hitting lobs on practice putting greens without damaging the green - piece of cake.
I really like the fact that the bounce give me plenty of forgiveness when I pitch or play bunker shots. However the sole width is not as wide as say TM ATVs so the club does not bounce off tight lies.

The extended grooves may look weird, but this made total sense to me since when I missed my wedges, it was always towards the toe. I still do, but now I have at least some grooves there to help me out.

I don't think Edel wedges spin any more than other OEM wedges like Vokey, Cleveland or even the Mack Daddy, and I have no problems holding the green when I need to. But nowadays, I control my shots with trajectory since it is so easy adjust how high I want to flight the ball.

Once I learned how to maximize the use of the bounce, it really became a very forgiving club and my short game has never been better.

I hope you guys have a chance to try Edel wedges in person.

The back looks really cool, but the face doesn't work for me at address. If any club doesn't blow me away at address then I won't buy it 100% of the time.

Back