Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

I have to be honest that I struggled with the S this past weekend -- both on getting out of the rough and out of the sand. I need to practice a bit more as my pitching and chipping is on a back slide that is hurting my scores.

Indy showed me that I need to spend more time with the S. I've played mainly on courses with greens that aren't fast. That wasn't the case in Indy and the C was rolling out too far at times. I spent much of the warmup time on Sunday with the S and had a much better wedge game using both.

The June 2014 issue of Golf Magazine has a review of these SmartSole wedges on page 132. Here is their Bottom Line quote:

"Broad-sole design aimed at players who want to solve basic short game challenges without much concern for versatility"

Refer to the article for more comments on playability, distance control, feel, look , and the various other pros and cons of these wedges.

I too play all the niblicks -37, 42 , 29 and 56 and absolutely swear by them as they have saved me countless stokes over the years. I presently play the zip groove model but have purchased the 2011 42 and 49 (alas, couldn't find a 56 :( ) for when the zip grooves are illegal in 2024 ! LOL

I just purchased the Smart Sole S wedge 58 and I am hoping that it is more consistent from hard pan "sand" that I often encounter (AKA concrete!) The 56 niblick I find can be a bit of a fickle mistress due to that big 14 bounce and I'm hoping that the new super sole will better address this aggravating problem of "muni" bunkers!! LOL

BTW: I LOVE the 37 for pitches over 100 yards as I am a senior player with slower swing speed and hit the 49 approx. 70 yds, 42 spot-on 100 and just LOVE stickin' it and watching my opponents reaction! LOL and 56 about 50 yds....I will be interested to see how the Smart Sole fares on full shots -I'm hoping for about 50 yds in order to replace my 56 Niblick!!

I suppose I should add that some folks might look on this is as gimmicky as well. I can't really blame a person for that with all the stuff that has been marketed at golfers for decades.

Yes there are certainly more than a few gimmicks out there- just watch the infomercials on Golf Channel for details :)

However, is it a gimmick if it works? Methinks not and that is precisely the hypocrisy present in some players attitudes toward super game improvement engineering- while these same "snobs" will pony up 500 bucks for the latest greatest driver some paid PGA Tour Pro claims to use; apparently they believe that engineering innovation is only acceptable if it's used on the Tour!.LOL

I have to give a big shout out and kudos to all The Hacker's Paradise posters as this has easily been the most helpful and least critical judgmental and arrogant site in general and at which I have seen a truly constructive discussion about Cleveland Smart Soles and Niblicks....in fact it was the nature of this discussion that ultimately motivated me to pull the trigger on the Smart Sole S Wedge...
thank you to everyone for creating a site where the every-day player might get some insights into how to improve their game and have more fun!

Yes there are certainly more than a few gimmicks out there- just watch the infomercials on Golf Channel for details :)

However, is it a gimmick if it works? Methinks not and that is precisely the hypocrisy present in some players attitudes toward super game improvement engineering- while these same "snobs" will pony up 500 bucks for the latest greatest driver some paid PGA Tour Pro claims to use; apparently they believe that engineering innovation is only acceptable if it's used on the Tour!.LOL

I have to give a big shout out and kudos to all The Hacker's Paradise posters as this has easily been the most helpful and least critical judgmental and arrogant site in general and at which I have seen a truly constructive discussion about Cleveland Smart Soles and Niblicks....in fact it was the nature of this discussion that ultimately motivated me to pull the trigger on the Smart Sole S Wedge...
thank you to everyone for creating a site where the every-day player might get some insights into how to improve their game and have more fun!
people on here aren't too proud to play something unorthodox if it works.

Sadly it's not always the best idea or technology that wins out in the long run, many other factors come in to play. The dvorak keyboard comes to mind.

Enjoy the new wedge, I know I like mine!

The June 2014 issue of Golf Magazine has a review of these SmartSole wedges on page 132. Here is their Bottom Line quote:

"Broad-sole design aimed at players who want to solve basic short game challenges without much concern for versatility"

Refer to the article for more comments on playability, distance control, feel, look , and the various other pros and cons of these wedges.

I was concerned about lack of versatility at first, but I find the Smart sole S to be plenty versatile. I'd even say it's probably versatile enough for the majority of amateur golfers.

I've hit some of the best 50 -65 yard approach shots with this wedge. I am totally sold on it and if they come out with a gap wedge loft, it will be in my bag too :thumb:

I've hit some of the best 50 -65 yard approach shots with this wedge. I am totally sold on it and if they come out with a gap wedge loft, it will be in my bag too :thumb:

Me too OG, I wish they made a series of these in different lofts.

people on here aren't too proud to play something unorthodox if it works.

My kind of golfers!!....I'd play a pink driver with purple polka dots if it gave me an extra 20 yards off the tee. :act-up:

And once again my thanks to all who post here as I find the lack of judgmental hyper-critical arrogance on this discussion board a refreshing change from some other golf "discussion" sites that I occasionally visit.

Good honest feedback. I get the feeling it's really not for everyone

Very true...the extra-wide sole on the SmartSole "S" which Cleveland says has "the largest effective bounce of any wedge the company has ever made" has little appeal for better players who prefer a narrower SW sole that they can just "open up" to add bounce when needed.

It seems pretty clear the SmartSole "S" is not the best option for those who like to create various kinds of "finesse" shots with a wedge. The SmartSole "S" looks better suited to the weekend golfer/higher handicapper struggling just to get out of the sand on a consistent basis.

The SmartSole "S" might help a lot of folks, I agree with the Wicked Cool Bearded Man that this is not the ideal wedge solution for everyone. The good news is that you can still carry other wedge(s) as well, (assuming of course, there is still some room left in the bag).

My personal choice is a 4-wedge setup consists of all (3) 2011 Niblicks including the 56* Niblick SW with 14* bounce, plus a conventional 60* Cleveland CG16 low bounce wedge, for those difficult lies where I know the Niblick SW is not going to be my best wedge option. Such lies include buried sand lies, steep downhill lies in the sand, and certain hardpan lies. For those kinds of lies, I know my conventional the CG16 60* low bounce wedge is the option.

I think the best advice is whatever 2, 3 or 4-wedge option you may choose for your particular game, be sure to give due consideration to all the various types of lies that you will encounter on the course! Its pretty tough to expect any 2-wedge setup, (whether its SmartSoles or something else), to work for all people and all course conditions.

:act-up:

Last edited:

Oh, yes, indeed! If Cleveland ever does decide to produce a 49 degree gap wedge smart sole and it performs anything like their 49 degree Niblick , methinks it will be very difficult to keep them on the shelves! :act-up:

Oh, yes, indeed! If Cleveland ever does decide to produce a 49 degree gap wedge smart sole and it performs anything like their 49 degree Niblick , methinks it will be very difficult to keep them on the shelves! :act-up:

Yeah...Cleveland left a huge loft gap beteen the SmartSole "C" and "S" lofts.

I too, absolutely love the 2011 49* Niblick which you can still find if you know just where to look.

The 42* to 58* SmartSole gap is so incredibly huge that a player simply must fill that gap with something else.

The 2011 Niblick series had much better gap spacing with the 49* and 56* models, plus the 42* Niblick is a true PW replacement with its longer shaft length. Obviously the Niblick PW is therefore better for PW distance approach shots from the fairway than the SmartSole "C", (which is more of a pure chipper type club then the dual purpose Niblick 42* PW.

Bottom line is that a 2-Wedge Solution using only the Cleveland Smart Soles is a bit unrealistic for a serious player. In fact, because the "C" is not capable of being a true PW, like the 2011 Niblick 42* was, you may actually need at least (2) more wedge-type clubs to fill that huge gap between the "C" and the "S". So I suggest that you keep your old PW and 52-54* GW close at hand, and you may also want to consider a low bounce 60-62* Lob Wedge to complement the ultra-wide sole SmartSole "S".

Last edited:
Had a good day with the S today, and really starting to get a feel for it distance wise. Didn't hit any fantastic shots, but also didn't hit any terrible shots. I hit it a lot from 90 - 50 and didn't leave any short of the green or hit any over. Made several good chips to save par, two of which were from behind the green so I was pretty happy with those.

Yes that gap issue is pretty severe, eh?

If I find that I love the S wedge I will need to reconfigure my bag a bit.
Perhaps booting the 56 Niblick -which I'm reluctant to do.....I will need to put the smart sole S wedge through the paces in order to get some idea of it's versatility...especially in comparison to the 56 Niblick....FYI: I presently carry all 4 zip groove Niblicks and can not count the number of times that I've walked off a green with a birdie or par saying "Thank you , Niblick" under my breath! LOL

FYI: I am a senior player and rather short at 5'-6" so I cut down my Niblicks one inch and regripped with jumbo grips....WOW! The consistency is unbelievable....i.e. I hit my 42 Niblick just about 100 yards on the nose;-big arcing shots that drop and stop -so easy to align too with that "putter-like" alignment on the older models...I also hit my 37 120 yards, the 49 70 yards and the 56 goes to 50 yards so I love hitting approach shots from approx. 120 yards and in and often lay up to my fav. distance (100 yards) and BINGO!!! LOL Thank you Cleveland Niblicks for making an old duffer occasionally look like Phil in his prime. :act-up: My main reason for getting the S sole is that damn hardpan in many bunkers on the courses I play (I have a sand wedge but don't bag a concrete wedge!)....that will be my primary consideration when testing this club.

FYI: The Smart Sole C Wedge is 42 degrees loft which is the same loft as one of the Niblicks.....essentially pitching wedge loft- so I will be less inclined to spring for that club.

Yes that gap issue is pretty severe, eh?

If I find that I love the S wedge I will need to reconfigure my bag a bit.
Perhaps booting the 56 Niblick -which I'm reluctant to do.....I will need to put the smart sole S wedge through the paces in order to get some idea of it's versatility...especially in comparison to the 56 Niblick....FYI: I presently carry all 4 zip groove Niblicks and can not count the number of times that I've walked off a green with a birdie or par saying "Thank you , Niblick" under my breath! LOL

FYI: I am a senior player and rather short at 5'-6" so I cut down my Niblicks one inch and regripped with jumbo grips....WOW! The consistency is unbelievable....i.e. I hit my 42 Niblick just about 100 yards on the nose;-big arcing shots that drop and stop -so easy to align too with that "putter-like" alignment on the older models...I also hit my 37 120 yards, the 49 70 yards and the 56 goes to 50 yards so I love hitting approach shots from approx. 120 yards and in and often lay up to my fav. distance (100 yards) and BINGO!!! LOL Thank you Cleveland Niblicks for making an old duffer occasionally look like Phil in his prime. :act-up: My main reason for getting the S sole is that damn hardpan in many bunkers on the courses I play (I have a sand wedge but don't bag a concrete wedge!)....that will be my primary consideration when testing this club.

FYI: The Smart Sole C Wedge is 42 degrees loft which is the same loft as one of the Niblicks.....essentially pitching wedge loft- so I will be less inclined to spring for that club.

Have you considered adding a low bounce 60* wedge for the hardpan you mentioned? The Cleveland Black Pearl CG14 60/8 would be a good choice and is also a perfect cosmetic match to your original Niblicks. That particular wedge works very well in firm sand and hardpan and allows you to slip the leading edge under the ball. Though it is considerd a Lob Wedge, you may like it in the sand for the type of lies I mentioned.

Speaking of Lobs, the 56* Niblick SW is absolutely fantastic for Lob shots from normal FW lies, (much better control than a conventional Lob Wedge), and a cinch to use from any "normal" (soft) sand lie. However, the 14* bounce on the Niblick SW can occasionally be a bit too for certain hardpan lies, (sand or FW), where you really must get the leading edge down under the ball and don't want a lot of bounce impeding that.

If a club has a lot of bounce, it works to prevent the leading edge from digging very much, so if the bottom of the club, (its bounce), hits a hardpan surface first, the club can literally bounce up, raising the leading edge, and we all know the result of that...the dreaded skulled shot over the green. (We've all done it).

On some the heavy-play Muni courses here in South Florida during the rainey summer, I often find the sand in the traps very tightly packed down after a hard rain. For those situations, I need all the help I can get digging in the leading edge to ensure I don't skull the shot, so a low bounce 60* is an essential part of my bag.

My 4-Wedge setup consists of all (3) 2011 Niblicks plus a CG16 Black Pearl 60*/8* low bounce conventional wedge. Cleveland dropped the 37* Niblick for 2011, but you don't really need both the 37* and the 42* Niblicks since both are excellent for chipping around the green. Removing the 37* Niblick could provide room in the bag for a 60* Wedge in case you are already at the 14 club limit . If you carry a 9-iron, perhaps that club can handle the 120 yard shot from the fairway that you now use the Niblick 37* for... Just a thought...

Last edited:
The S Wedge is not high bounce.

Kevin (Grins) used my S wedge a couple of times on Saturday, he seems to be somewhat intrigued with it and may be getting one to give a try. I really think I have better control of the distance with this wedge than any I have used.

The S Wedge is not high bounce.

the actual bounce of the SmartSole S is only 6 degrees, making it physically a very low bounce wedge. However, according to Pat Ripp (Cleveland Golf) "The effective bounce of this wedge is the highest of any wedge that we make". so I guess depending on how you present the club, it could act like a low bounce or a high bounce... am I reading that correctly?

the actual bounce of the SmartSole S is only 6 degrees, making it physically a very low bounce wedge. However, according to Pat Ripp (Cleveland Golf) "The effective bounce of this wedge is the highest of any wedge that we make". so I guess depending on how you present the club, it could act like a low bounce or a high bounce... am I reading that correctly?

Correct (spoke about this earlier in this thread). Some keep labeling it as a high bounce wedge (or that the sole will cause issues), and because of that, want to clear that up for those reading. It is not a high bounce wedge, but a low bouce wedge that can act as high bounce if necessary.

I'm in serious ponder mode for this. Sorry I haven't read all the hundreds of posts - how does it hold up on full swings? Can the loft be adjusted?

I'm in serious ponder mode for this. Sorry I haven't read all the hundreds of posts - how does it hold up on full swings? Can the loft be adjusted?

i don't know about adjusting the loft but for me it was best with a full shot. Not that it wasn't good at other things, but full shots were just effortless. I didn't notice the sole at all until I tried to get into the more touchy low roll-out shots.

Here is what you need to know regarding bounce on the SmartSole "S". Wedge.

Though it has bounce angle of only about 6*, the ultra-wide sole provides an "off the charts" effective bounce. (Obviously the effective bounce is what really counts...so good luck getting this one to dig much.

Then there is the quote from Pat Ripp, Engineer at Cleveland Golf regarding the SmartSole "S" Wedge that was mentioned earlier:

"The effective bounce of this wedge is the highest of any wedge we have made"

I think that makes it pretty clear and bounce does matter...

All that said, use whatever works best for YOU. Everyone's a little different when it comes to stance, swing path, angles of attack, skill level, etc. and we all play courses with various types of sand conditions. One person's solution doesn't fit all.

Last edited:
I have no problem hitting the S off hardpan. I dont understand what the concern is about high bounce, low bounce. I assume those that keep making an issue of the bounce issue hasn't played the club a whole lot from dirt, hard sand, or hardpan. There are many posts in this thread from people who have consistently used the club from hardpan saying its fine. Does this worry about high bounce and low bounce? I hope so.

Back