Is short the way to long?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I am seeing a lot of 44.4" drivers popping up and I wondering if this is the course to long and straight. The industry has gone longer but it seems the golfers want more control which I feel will lead to longer shots. Lets face it, a ball hit down the fairway has more of chance of running out than a ball hit in the rough.

Why did you go shorter? Are you thinking about going shorter?

I went shorter because I believe the driver that I will be gaming is harder to hit and face contact needs to be more precise.

I'm playing the Cleveland Classic XL Custom which was already 45" stock which is on the "shorter" side for stock driver lengths these days. I hit it fairly straight, and driving is one of my strengths, but when i would look at the impact marks on the face i would be all over the place. Just recently cut it down to 44.5" and noticed the ball impact dispersion is much tighter around the sweet spot, and no noticeable loss of length, probably about the same just due to better contact. The every so slightly lighter swingweight took about a round to get used to but now i don't mind it, i think it was more mental than anything. Worst case scenario i'll try to find an 11g weight screw if i can to replace the 7g, or throw some lead tape on there.

I am 193cm long(6 foot 4 inches) and have 45,25 inch stock bio cell+. Can rip lit long but my fir stats would probably benefit from a short shaft...it is a ponder for me.

I moved to sub 45" a couple years ago. Not sure if it's made a difference in accuracy, but at this point it is what I'm used to so I stick with it.

Much more consistent. I am tall 6'4 and while I haven't cut the shaft yet I always play my driver choked all the way down and threw some lead tape on the head to help get the swing weight a bit heavier. I find a heavier swingweight and a shorter shaft is the longest and most consistent combo for me.

I went to a 45" because I felt like it gave me more control and I was able to go after the ball a bit more and not worry about missing it big.

Old: X-Hot pro 45.75"
New: BB Alpha 45.5"

I dropped .25" (evidently)

i was unaware i went shorter

This discussion has been going on for a while on the forum. Most amateurs should be more consistent with a shorter shaft. Hitting the sweetspot more frequently. But with the ever increasing sizes of those sweetspots, wouldn't a longer shaft mean more distance?

I went from my custom fit 46" to 45" by accident really when buying an aftermarket shaft for my Big Bertha. I definitely hit it more consistent and longer.

I ponder this pretty regularly actually. I've played a few rounds choked up on my driver and I still do it from time to time if I'm struggling. Don't really see much distance loss when I do choke up and the accuracy is definitely better. Should probably just pull the trigger. I've also considered lopping a .5" off the 3W as well.

Interestingly enough, Matsuyama has a 44.75" driver length.

I read somewhere that for every quarter inch off from center you hit your drive, you lose 10 or more yards. Shortening your driver length will help reduce those mishits. My driver length is 45" but I still choke up another inch.

I went from 45.5" to 45" because my fitter told me to.

I am seeing a lot of 44.4" drivers popping up and I wondering if this is the course to long and straight. The industry has gone longer but it seems the golfers want more control which I feel will lead to longer shots. Lets face it, a ball hit down the fairway has more of chance of running out than a ball hit in the rough.

Why did you go shorter? Are you thinking about going shorter?

I went shorter because I believe it helps me hit the middle of the club face more consistently. I honestly don't feel that I'm giving up that much distance by going with the shorter driver.

This discussion has been going on for a while on the forum. Most amateurs should be more consistent with a shorter shaft. Hitting the sweetspot more frequently. But with the ever increasing sizes of those sweetspots, wouldn't a longer shaft mean more distance?

There's a happy medium. There is a point where two short of a shaft will cause distance loss and a point where too long of a shaft will cause inconsistent distances.

That is why a fitting is so important to find that "sweet spot" (pun intended) where consistent distance is achieved.

That what happens when we get old :alien:
Old: X-Hot pro 45.75"
New: BB Alpha 45.5"

I dropped .25" (evidently)

i was unaware i went shorter

I usually go with 45", probably wouldnt oppose going shorter, especially since I tend to inadvertently choke down a little on driver already. Would just have to make sure I dont keep doing it.

The length of the club is just one of the factors related to length. As shorter shaft should give more control and hence more center face hits and longer distances. Some hit their 3W longer than their drivers with a smaller head and smaller sweet spot.

There's a happy medium. There is a point where two short of a shaft will cause distance loss and a point where too long of a shaft will cause inconsistent distances.

That is why a fitting is so important to find that "sweet spot" (pun intended) where consistent distance is achieved.

I tend to agree with this. Longer is going to generate 1-2 MPH swing speed more, but it is way more important to hit the sweet spot. Shorten the shaft until the dispersion tightens up and then stop there.

I notice that I feel a lot more confident standing over the shorter shaft. Get one down to about 44.5 and I feel like I can't miss.

I think the same applies to the FWs being produced today, particularly in the SGI space. Can a SGI player (e.g. ME) really handle a 43.5 inch FW, particularly off the deck? Do we need 42.5 inch 7 woods? The whole point of the 7W is to be easy to hit.

The length of the club is just one of the factors related to length. As shorter shaft should give more control and hence more center face hits and longer distances. Some hit their 3W longer than their drivers with a smaller head and smaller sweet spot.

I'm not trying to be a jerk with this. I am using hyperbole. Wouldn't a 36" shaft be the best option then? But a 460cc driver head on a wedge shaft. If the golfer has a goal of maximizing distance, they need to be mindful of their own swing and the fit of their clubs. Just expecting a short/longer shaft to give them that added distance is going to be a pipe dream.

I've cut my driver down a bit because I've seen better dispersion and accuracy as a result. (I'm playing my current driver at 45"). I also seem to find the center of the face more consistently.

I choked down a little all day yesterday and was way more consistent and just as long as normal. I could feel the club better in my swing as well.

If I remember correctly 1mph of SS is worth 2-3yds and a half inch is worth a half to one club length of distance(5-10yds).

But finding the sweet spot more often and getting the most out of the club has been better for me as far as consistent distance and accuracy goes.

I don't have any hard statistics, but I definitely have far more confidence with the Driver since I cut it from 45.75" down to 44.75". Distance and accuracy has improved. I'm no expert, all I know is that shorter than the average stock length feels much better to me.

If the golfer has a goal of maximizing distance, they need to be mindful of their own swing and the fit of their clubs.
I haven't seen where anyone has said otherwise. Fortunately, when it comes to shortening your driver, this is something that can be looked into easily enough ... just choke down.

Just expecting a short/longer shaft to give them that added distance is going to be a pipe dream.
Shortening your driver length is a valid way to gain that added distance.

Yeah - I'm getting tired of being inconsistent off the tee. Maybe its time to go short and stop losing balls ob...

Back