Someone pick me a rangefinder!

bigmcclarron

Reaction score
Handicap
Right guys I an on the prowl for a rangefinder
First I thought about the bushnell v3, then I thought the nikon coolshot and now I am just confused! I found the UK version of the kickbutt one I read about on here, but I am not sure. So my question is what would you buy and why?

I can only comment on the one I bought...the Tour Z6 Jolt. Both the Jolt, and the red number distance readouts were the driving force behind my decision, and glad I went in the direction I did.

I've been looking at Rangefinders myself, and the three models you mentioned are the ones I'm looking at. I'm sure that any of the three would give you good results so there really isn't a bad choice, but which choice is best? IF you'd care to have an opinion from someone in your shoes, who hasn't used any of them, but who has done a bunch of research, read on.

If funds were no object, I'd take the route that O'Carroll took and do the Bushnell Tour Z6 for exactly the reasons he stated. But that's pricey.
It would be fun to own a rangefinder called the kick butt, and if cost were my main focus, I'd choose that one for sure.
The Nikon is really simple to use with minimum amounts of buttons and it scans very easily. The white rubberized shell can get dirty and a bit hard to clean.
The Bushnell V3 with jolt also has good reviews and I think jolt would be a useful feature.

If you want to be different than everyone else, then choose the Nikon or Kick Butt because most everyone else has a Bushnell.
Personally, I'd probably get the Kick Butt because I just want something simple, reliable, and inexpensive.
If price didn't matter so much, then I'd go with the name brand that has the added technology, so that would be Bushnell V3 with Jolt.

So my ranking, based on my priorities are Kick Butt, Bushnell and Nikon in that order.

If price isn't an issue, than V3 or v6 is the way to go.

Just went thru the same decision.
I chose the Leupold gx 3i2. Tried it at the local golf retailer. Salesman said that he thought it was the best rangefinder available. Probably qualified that statement given the price, but he didn't say anything about price.

The main reasons that I chose Leupold instead of Bushnell V3 -.
1) I read that Bushness customer service for a bad unit is not very good.
2) I want a range finder that is sanctioned for USGA events.
3) While the Jolt is nice, I wanted something that I didn't have to stay still to get yardage. I played Friday with a friend who has the jolt, and he only got about 2/3 of the pins correct with his jolt.
4) Everyone who has a Leupold loves it.

So, I searched on line and found the one I wanted $325 at a Marine supply shop. Ordered it, no tax, and flat rate shipping. Instead of the $399 it sells for everywhere.

If price isn't an issue, then you have some fun research ahead of you!

I have just about every one listed above.
I use the Bushnell with jolt because it works better than their others.
By that I mean its faster, as accurate and pinseeker works better than any other in locking on.

Most do just fine for use. If you are asking which one I think is the best out there... Its the Bushnell.

I bought the Leupold GX-2i and am now looking for a Bushnell. My take: Leupold's have more features, better optics and better customer service but Bushnell is better at doing the single most important part of the gig - locking on the flag. If you have a particularly steady hand or play courses that have prism flags (Leupold has a prism lock system) I would go Leupold. Otherwise I'd go Bushnell. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I have the Bushnell V3 Jolt and love it. Very accurate, easy to acquire targets and I can't ask for any more.

Find a cheap bushnell v2 online and pin seek away!

I have the V2 and it is great i would imagine the V3 would be as nice

After this weekend, my ponder has been renewed for a rangefinder, I will be paying attention to this thread!

I have just about every one listed above.
I use the Bushnell with jolt because it works better than their others.
By that I mean its faster, as accurate and pinseeker works better than any other in locking on.

Most do just fine for use. If you are asking which one I think is the best out there... Its the Bushnell.
Having used a couple, I now use the Bushnell as well and agree 100%

I can only comment on the one I bought...the Tour Z6 Jolt. Both the Jolt, and the red number distance readouts were the driving force behind my decision, and glad I went in the direction I did.

I like this. I have the Z6 without jolt and the jolt addition would be fantastic.

I had the v3 and now the z6. Both are great but z6 is so much faster!

Anything Bushnell.

Agree with above. I currently have a leupold and while it is flashy, it doesn't do the basic function of locking on the pin all the time like my bushnells have

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

V3 with jolt.....pin seeker never let's me down. My swing in the other hand......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you can go wrong with a Bushnell, but I love my Leupold GX-4i2. Has two different face plates (yellow has slope, silver does not making it legal for tourneys), red read out and I have had no problems locking on to targets, whether it be flags or physical land marks. The options are great, the optics are fantastic and the quality is top notch.

Pricey as heck, but I got a good deal on mine (IMO) and wouldn't trade it for any other rangefinder out there.

I have been researching rangefinders too and am leaning toward the Leupold GX-3i2. My requirements are 1) locks on pins reliably and accurately and 2) has the red display. I can't believe people aren't annoyed by the black readout in a lot of rangefinders, I find the black readout on the dark green background of grass and trees to be a terrible idea. It's like the designers never tried to use the black displays on a golf course. The Leupold GX-3i2 lists at $399 but sells for $290 regularly on eBay, for a new, factory sealed unit.

Any opinions on the Bushnell Medalist? Is it pretty much the same as the V2/V3, but without Jolt?

I bought the Leupold GX-2i and am now looking for a Bushnell. My take: Leupold's have more features, better optics and better customer service but Bushnell is better at doing the single most important part of the gig - locking on the flag. If you have a particularly steady hand or play courses that have prism flags (Leupold has a prism lock system) I would go Leupold. Otherwise I'd go Bushnell. Just my 2 cents.

Leupold is going to be disappointed in you, since you live like 5 minutes from them...:)

Thanks for the replies guys, so a lot of love for bushnell it seems! I think I have discounted the kickbutt, and have now added the leupold into the mix

I bought a Leupold GX-3i over a year ago and absolutely love it. I have not had any issues locking onto pins or anything else for that matter and the red display is definitely the way to go as it is so much easier to see than black numbers. I will also give a shout out to Leupold's customer service as mine quit working about a year after I got it, so after a call to customer Service they had me send it in so they could look at it. 3 weeks later I got a package in the mail and it was a BRAND NEW GX-3i2!!!! I thought it was cool that they sent me the newer model and now they have a customer for life.

If my 7 year old Nikon 800 would break I could go out and buy the Z6 Jolt! I have zero issues picking up a flag stick at 280+ yards instantly with my Nikon, but my hands are steadier than most. I LOVE the size, construction, appearance, and features of the Z6 but I can't justify it until my Nikon breaks or maybe I'll sell it.......

Have used a number of different Bushnell and Leupold offerings over the last couple years. Currently have the GX-3.

Both are high quality and will work for you. If you offered me one of my choosing it would be a Bushnell.

Back