Do you feel your handicap accurately reflects your ability?

I'd say it pretty well sums up how I play. Sometimes I feel I should be lower and other times I think there's no way I am what I am. You've gotta remind yourself its a potential and not what we shoot every single time. That comforts me haha

At the moment I think it's a slight bit too high as I'm playing fairly well, but two weeks ago I'd say it was definitely too low as I was shooting mid-high 90's. So it varies. Regarding the iron thing, I play player's irons and I am a mid capper, because I like the feel and the turf interaction and my iron game very rarely gets me in trouble. When I score high it's because of a crap tee game or a crap short game.

I guess so. Slumping a bit now, but many of those scores won't even be figured in to the index unless I really suck it up the next month. I put the scores up, so there's that. Haven't forgot to post any. Don't have 20 yet and some of the better scores on a home course, so I suppose there's that too. Some aren't though. In the last year I've shot scores with THP'rs at or near my index and some far above it. If there's anybody that hasn't done that I'd like to know what the secret is. It's a measurement of potential for hopefully evening out competive matches. If I wanted to see what my average score over par I have that available and it's definitely not the same number as the index and I'm sure it's not supposed to be.

As for the last question - no. However, you can certainly have a portion of your game that is better/worse than the rest.

I don't think mine does. I have 12 full 18 hole rounds posted. 2 are a 76 and 78; the rest are between 86 and 93. So without the full 20 rounds, those two in the 70s are doing a lot. Also three of the higher rounds have ESC adjustments, effectively making them lower than they actually were.

I feel like I should be good enough to be at the handicap I am, but I don't think I'm actually that consistent. I think my main issue currently is off the tee, then proximity to the green on my approaches.

The point is that your index is doing what it's supposed to do, it's showing your potential. Clearly if you have 2 scores in the 70s, then you have the potential to score in the 70s. That is how the system is supposed to work.

I feel like I throw away a lot of strokes around the green (mostly not being able to hole 5-10 foot putts). When I look at my stats post round, I often feel like I turned a 74 into an 80, or an 80 into an 85. I also play on a really tight driving course with no room for error (which can lead to quite a few pitch outs). So no, I don't feel like my handicap accurately reflects my ability.

My handicap travels pretty well so I would say it's pretty accurate.

My handicap travels pretty well so I would say it's pretty accurate.

I have to say the same thing. And I think it's because I'm not a member anywhere, so I'm constantly playing a different group of courses. I have about three that I play all the time and every time I've played in a THP event or a new course, I normally play to my handicap pretty well.

The point is that your index is doing what it's supposed to do, it's showing your potential. Clearly if you have 2 scores in the 70s, then you have the potential to score in the 70s. That is how the system is supposed to work.

I understand that. But wouldn't it be more accurate if it included every score of your last 20? Or if you're only going to count 10, the last 10?

I guess my point was those were 2 kind of fluke rounds, and they're a heavy weight on my hdcp since I only have 12 in. It should level out more as I get closer to 20.

I just wish I could play and practice enough to have a handicap and pay attention to it.

I have a lot of things coming together, and I think I am really close to a big drop in my potential scoring. I was 4 blowup holes away from carding rounds in the 80's at Purgatory and Prairie View. Both days I was a slow starter on the front 9. It's there, I know I can do it. I'll get there, I'll put in the work.

No not at all I just shot 69 gross!
My handicap is 9!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that. But wouldn't it be more accurate if it included every score of your last 20? Or if you're only going to count 10, the last 10?

I guess my point was those were 2 kind of fluke rounds, and they're a heavy weight on my hdcp since I only have 12 in. It should level out more as I get closer to 20.

No because then all you have is an average of your last 20 differentials.

The handicap system is set up so that the player who plays best in relation to his handicap in a competition is most likely to win.

In theory a player who plays to his handicap should be near the top of his flight's leaderboard, because he is playing better than his average. If he is playing just to his average then he really isn't excelling - he should only be in the middle of the pack.

I understand your reasoning. My first ever round in the 70's is still my personal best 73. It was nice when it happened as I won my flight in the Club Championship that year with 73-78 in the 3rd and 4th rounds, but since it happened in August, I carried that 73 on my handicap until the next July. By then I was at a 10 and actually playing well enough to support it.

I feel like my handicap definitely reflects my potential to score on quite a few courses...but inconsistencies with my short game and tee game can get in the way.

Either way my answer to the OP would still be the same. As I enter more scores I expect my hdcp to go up, and be a more accurate representation of my current game. And my blow up holes do happen, which have been changed by ESC, effectively making my hdcp lower.

Either way my answer to the OP would still be the same. As I enter more scores I expect my hdcp to go up, and be a more accurate representation of my current game. And my blow up holes do happen, which have been changed by ESC, effectively making my hdcp lower.

I'll also add that the two rounds in the 70s were on back to back days at the course that was our home course all 4 years in HS; a course I know better than any other course I've ever played.

My irons are only sort-of players clubs compare to true cavity backs or blade irons. But I play them even though I'm a mid-high handicapper. I generally do well with my irons but I'm by no means a scratch or pro player caliber iron striker. I take lessons almost weekly and can shape my shots, just not as consistently as I'd like.

That at being said, I lose the majority of my strokes in the short game. That is improving though. My putts aren't horrible as I average 35 per round. But they would account for less strokes if my approach shots and pitch/chip shots got me closer to the hole.

I don't want to obsess over my handicap though. I just want to slowly chip away at it through continuous lessons and practice.

I do think its accurate for my current potential on an average course though. I think it would be closer to a 20-25 on tough courses though.

I think a lot of golfers don't understand that handicap index's are a measure of potential- you are only supposed to play to your index about 25% of the time.

As an example, a player with a 15 index on a course with a 72.0 rating and average slope should only shoot a 79(a net differential of -8) 1 out of 1138 rounds.

Handicap Ranges

0-56-1213-2122-30GREATER THAN 30
Net Differentialoddsoddsoddsoddsodds
05:15:16:15:15:1
-110:110:110:18:17:1
-223:122:121:113:110:1
-357:151:143:123:115:1
-4151:1121:187:140:122:1
-5379:1276:1174:172:135:1
-6790:1536:1323:1130:160:1
-72349:11200:1552:1229:1101:1
-820111:14467:11138:1382:1185:1
-948219:127877:13577:1695:1359:1
-10125000:184300:137000:11650:1874:1

I do, most of the time. Maybe the one exception is at the beginning of the season. We can count on 7 months off for winter. After that long of layoff, i'm no where near my handicap. To complicate things a little, I have to play regularly to get my swing back. I see others that seem to pick up where they left off. I seem to also struggle on slow green (beginning of season) but putt better on fast greens (late season). I also tend to play more late in our golf season and the HDCP usually comes down leaving me too low at the opening of the next season.

Not saying GHIN is unfair but I wish you could add 1-3 to your GHIN at the beginning of the season.

Yes, but it reflects some of my bad decision making. Shooting rounds near my handicap with multiple penalties brought on by bad decisions means I should be shooting even better. I need to apply better course management for my skill level.

The problem is that a handicap is really simply intended for play competition where strokes are given to another person. If it were based on the whole 20 rounds it wouldn't be fair to the one giving strokes imo. Lets say we went head to head and you were giving me strokes. Lets assume you score your average that day. If my cap was based on all my latest playing and not just my better rounds than its not fair to you. All I would have to do is golf my average round in order to beat you. But with the cap based on my better rounds only (as it is now) I receive less strokes and in order to beat you I now have to play one of my better rounds.

If you are better than me than imo I shouldn't be able to beat you if we both score an average round. I don't think that's fair to you. You are better and should deserve to win imo. I should only be able to beat you if I have a better than average round vs your average one or if you play poorly and I play my average or better. You are the better player in this scenario and I'm getting strokes. I should only be allowed strokes that represent my potential and not my average.

So HC is not really a way imo to gauge ones true average play but only his play potential. In a sense its two different things, But unless another system came up for the cause its all we have.

Last edited:
I think my ghin does reflect my "potential" and not my average game. When you use the best 10 scores of your last 20 rounds, there is no way it can reflect your "average".

I think mine (15) is lower than it should be. I suppose because it's based in the lowest 10 eligible rounds which are in the low to mid 90s and a few in the high 80s. I have had a couple 100+ rds this year that got thrown out. When I play with my dad (7) I feel like a beginner compared to him, at least off the tees. I can hang with his short game but on the long par 4s and 5s he really puts me to shame.

you know, come to think of it. If one does want to see where he/she "really" is at without this "potential" thing. Then perhaps its quite simple. We can simply use all 20 latest rounds and not just the 10 best of them to calculate it unofficially. Just do all the steps except use every round. That should give you a better read on where your game is at through your last 20 rounds. Of course it would end up higher but it would also be more true to ones average scoring.

I'm trending down so no :)

Back