The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firm right need rather than having knee flex at address? Or u mean on take away?

Basically firm in that I want to keep the flex. Tighter feeling so that my coil is tighter and I don't get weight on the outside of my right foot.

I calmed down after yesterday and focused on what I was doing instead of where the ball was going and realized what I was doing wrong. Generally, my arms were too far away from my body and I was trying to turn and swing away without really keeping the club on plane during the backswing.

Watching these slo mo videos of various players' swings has helped immensely. All of them have their left arm connected throughout the swing, them drop the club down into the slot on the downswing. Focusing on that loop has really helped get things back in order, along with keeping my arms lower. I swung today at the GG testing out a bunch of stuff and liked what I was seeing.

Short game lesson Thursday. Time to step things up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PGG, I like to do that too. I often watch either myself on video (doing something right) or tour players to visualize tempo.

As much as I love it, it drives me nuts to have an incredible range session. Absolutely flushing my irons, hitting draws and fades with hybrid wood and driver... just absolutely everything I needed it to be. And it's only frustrating because doing that on course for a full round has been a bit of a struggle for me.

Then spent an hour chipping from tight lies. It was necessary after the weekend I had.

Last edited:
I hit the range for a little over an hour tonight after work. Focused on 1) my problem child (aka. 6 iron) and finally got to a point where I was feeling super confident hitting that club, 2) working with problem child #2 (aka driver) and am getting more and more comfortable with it, and 3) working with my 9i and wedges from 140 yds and in. I'm feeling really really good about the shorter end of the bag right now.

For the longer clubs I've been hitting my 3W off the tee box lately, as I was just not seeing great accuracy with my driver. Tonight I decided to try lowering the tee a bit, as I felt like I have been hitting the ball too high on the club face. That worked freaking wonders! I was striking it so pure and flush, the balls felt like marshmallows. Accuracy was much improved, as well.

I'm heading back to the range on Friday and will spend the majority of my time on short game and putting and a little bit with the driver.

Getting ready for Hudson I see! Hoping either Wednesday or Thursday to get out to the range and work on, well just about everything...

had a good and bad day at the range, went and hit a bucket, and was frustrated, went home fixed supper and told myself don't go back, but i couldn't help it, i went back, started off the same fat then thin ohhhhh theres a good one, then a older gentlemen came and started 2 boxes over, then we started a conversation, didnt talk about swings or golf just hit a few then talk again, i haven't hit that well in awhile went thru the rest of my bucket and he gave me the rest of his, finished his the same, all good shots, after a 11 yr layoff im starting to get that groove back, it felt really good

Sounds like you relaxed a little and things got a lot better. Nice.

Zero desire to swing a golf club.....been like that for two weeks....crazy really. Never been like this ever.

Sounds like you need to get out with some THP'rs.

Basically firm in that I want to keep the flex. Tighter feeling so that my coil is tighter and I don't get weight on the outside of my right foot.

This has been the hardest thing ever for me to change. I swear I have done 1,000 plus reps with a club and shadow boxing to ingrain this move, not to mention all the on course swings trying to make sure I did exactly this.

Keeping the leg firm but knee bent has also controlled the length of my backswing, it's impossible for me to take the club back too far on a firm right leg.

I believe I may have finally got it at least to where I believe it's right need to see my instructor to verify.

Keeping the flex but making the right leg firm and coiling on it has added crazy distance almost two clubs every club in the bag, has made me more accurate and I hear the ball slicing through the air.

This has been the hardest thing ever for me to change. I swear I have done 1,000 plus reps with a club and shadow boxing to ingrain this move, not to mention all the on course swings trying to make sure I did exactly this.

Keeping the leg firm but knee bent has also controlled the length of my backswing, it's impossible for me to take the club back too far on a firm right leg.

I believe I may have finally got it at least to where I believe it's right need to see my instructor to verify.

Keeping the flex but making the right leg firm and coiling on it has added crazy distance almost two clubs every club in the bag, has made me more accurate and I hear the ball slicing through the air.

Can do it with irons I figure I can do it with driver. Took lots of work to get there though!

Lesson went good and bad. Was all excited to show my instructor the progress I had made. Got on film and I'm still flipping! :banghead: Its not as bad as it was, but its still there and video doesn't lie. H said that it is a LOT better, but wants me to continue to focus on turning through the ball and gave me some more 1/2 drills to work on. Also saw that I'm getting long again on my backswing. I think I need electro-shock therapy where if I take it back too far I get shocked!!

The good news is that I have picked up about 1/2 a club and my misses are more on line with the target, I've been putting up some decent scores and have just learned so much. I feel like such a jack-ass for not taking lessons 20 or 30 years ago. Then again, I have never had the incentive to get better that I have at this moment. Now that I've gotten a taste, man oh man....... LOVE IT!

JM

2 hours short game, 1 hour range

Can't get to the range. The man is holding me down. Boss gets back on the 9th then I can resume my regularly scheduled programming...have to keep the short game improvement going. Putting has been lights out lately and that helps. Got an impromptu tip while playing with one of the assistant pros to drop my hands farther down the grip to get my eye over the ball more. Been 3 rounds since that tip and I'm really liking it. Now I have to get my irons back in sync. The 9th can't get here soon enough.

Can do it with irons I figure I can do it with driver. Took lots of work to get there though!

If I can do it you can do it Hawkster the consistency you will see is awesome sauce bud when you get it

Swamped and more swamped .. No golf until mid next week .. Wonder if thinking about golf daily helps or hurts the game with no playing ? Will see :)

Average range session tonight. Woods and hybrids were good but the irons were inconsistent. This tends to happen coming off a lesson as I'm trying to not get stuck on the inside. I'll need to revisit the bucket drill on Thursday and try to hit some fades.

Finally got out to the range at 9 PM tonight, love that the weather is finally good enough for some nighttime range action and that my range is open until 11 PM. Hit 2 buckets because I didn't want to overdo things when a little muscle strain in my lower back, but tonight was awesome! I finally got more comfortable with a setup change where I put a little more weight forward at address and try to leave it there on the backswing, it lets me get more weight forward at impact and compress the ball a little better. Shortening my swing isn't going as well, but I'm getting a little better at feeling like my arms are moving slowly in the backswing when in reality they are more synced up with my body. Before focusing on slowing down the arms, I was little a lot of hooks, but the ballflight got a lot straighter after I sorted out my backswing. I mainly just hit wedge and 8 iron, but even took about 10 swings with the driver and probably 8 of those would have found the fairway if I had been on a course. Tonight was the first session in about 3 weeks that I felt really good about, I want to take that to the course next week.

Practiced chipping with no green to work with/slopped greens away from me. Some from regular lies,high ruff and on the side of hills. After 30 minutes around 5 shots werw outside of 4 feet. Really impressed with the 60* u. Helps with more shot options,easy to slide under the ball. Even tried flop shots which ended up great. Very impressed

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Ary what are you struggling with in regards to shortening the back swing?

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Just went thru the Tour Academy lesson 1, working in GPA. I related my slice to grip and how right I was. My hands are hurting right now, as over the last few months I have let my grip become very weak and unconventional. You think my instructor would have pointed this out. Well I can tell you the alarm will be going off early tomorrow for a quick range session.
#WatchOutFairwaysAndWelcomeBoringGolf

Last edited:
Just went thru the Tour Academy lesson 1, working in GPA. I related my slice to grip and how right I was. My hands are hurting right now, as over the last few months I have let my grip become very weak and unconventional. You think my instructor would have pointed this out. Well I can tell you the alarm will be going off early tomorrow for a quick range session.
#WatchOutFairwaysAndWelcomeBoringGolf

Your putting in some serious work and I like it!

I'm guessing that your instructor checked it the first few lessons and saw it was good then and just assumed it stayed the same

Ary what are you struggling with in regards to shortening the back swing?

Arms run off after the shoulder turn is done and collapse at the top as well. It's the issue I've always had in my swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back