The Official 2014 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday on his nationally syndacated show, Doug Gottlied called the Packers' receiving core "average". The city of Green Bay disagreed. I am not going to say that the Packers' have the best receiving core in the league, but to say they're average...nope.

Well, yes and no. That is really no different than a lot of large contracts due to the structure of the NFL. What we do know is that he is getting paid 13 mill instead of 1 mill this coming year.

Just like many of the large contracts, the huge "guaranteed" amount is not really as guaranteed as people think, unless he plays for this team, but there is always penalty in ridding of the player.

I honestly know only a small bit about the cap and contracts other than what is reported.

I hear guaranteed and I think they get it no matter what. Is it only a guarantee on injury or not really a guarantee at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was talking NFL football. You guys used to have a team in Atlanta....

Super Bowl or bust this season for ATL.

Heck, it's Super Bowl L for Pete's sake. That's a sign!

I honestly know only a small bit about the cap and contracts other than what is reported.

I hear guaranteed and I think they get it no matter what. Is it only a guarantee on injury or not really a guarantee at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No there is a lot more to it than that, and truly each contract is a bit different. However without question, there is a lot more to his earnings than 6 one year deals. If they cut him after year one, there will be penalties on that money owed to him and a cap hit.

Who is the 9ers elite receiver?

This is where they need to fork out money. Kaep had no one to throw to last year outside of Boldin and Vernon. Both of which I would classify as top talents in the league. Crabtree will be a huge boost as well.

This is where they need to fork out money. Kaep had no one to throw to last year outside of Boldin and Vernon. Both of which I would classify as top talents in the league. Crabtree will be a huge boost as well.

Honest question, isn't having two top notch targets and two or three reliable options enough? Boldin is the concern for me on that team, not that he won't perform but somewhat soon he will be gone. Working in a good replacement would be very smart.

Honest question, isn't having two top notch targets and two or three reliable options enough? Boldin is the concern for me on that team, not that he won't perform but somewhat soon he will be gone. Working in a good replacement would be very smart.
Agreed, someone to compliment Crabtree moving forward.

They didn't have two or three more reliable options though. I'm also worried what will happen when Boldin is done cuz there isn't a replacement anywhere.

Isn't the stat that 20 of Kaep's 21 TDs were to Boldin and Vernon? A good defense can easily shut down two guys when you don't have to worry about anyone else.

They didn't have two or three more reliable options though. I'm also worried what will happen when Boldin is done cuz there isn't a replacement anywhere.

Isn't the stat that 20 of Kaep's 21 TDs were to Boldin and Vernon? A good defense can easily shut down two guys when you don't have to worry about anyone else.

Kaep might also have to develop into a better pocket passer who can read through options. At the same time, the only defense that really shut them down was Seattle. And they shut everybody down.

Kaep might also have to develop into a better pocket passer who can read through options. At the same time, the only defense that really shut them down was Seattle. And they shut everybody down.

Indy and Carolina shut them down as well in the regular season. Neither were stellar defenses IMO. Kaep needs to be let loose IMO. Harbaugh held him back way too much. He can single handedly take over any game he wants. The coaching staff just wouldn't let him.

Yesterday on his nationally syndacated show, Doug Gottlied called the Packers' receiving core "average". The city of Green Bay disagreed. I am not going to say that the Packers' have the best receiving core in the league, but to say they're average...nope.

I dont think it is average, but I think their WR core is closer to average than great.

I dont think it is average, but I think their WR core is closer to average than great.

I think it's comfortably between the two. Even as it sits, Jordy Nelson is very underrated.

Nelson is a byproduct of the system.

If you have a QB throwing the ball on average 32 times a game you and you are a WR on that team, then yes you will have a nice amount of catches, and even more when starting.

Hes had 1 good season.

If he continues to play at that level for multiple seasons, Id say we can call him "good"

Just dont see him being a superstar ala Megatron, Andres Johnson, AJ Green and Brandon Marshall.

I believe James Jones had the 2nd most catches on the team,and to me hes always been average.

SO as a whole maybe the core is "slightly" above average....but then again depends on who you are comparing them to

If you have a QB throwing the ball on average 32 times a game you and you are a WR on that team, then yes you will have a nice amount of catches, and even more when starting.

Hes had 1 good season.

If he continues to play at that level for multiple seasons, Id say we can call him "good"

Just dont see him being a superstar ala Megatron, Andres Johnson, AJ Green and Brandon Marshall.

I believe James Jones had the 2nd most catches on the team,and to me hes always been average.

SO as a whole maybe the core is "slightly" above average....but then again depends on who you are comparing them to

Last season Jordy Nelson had more yards than Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, and Dez Bryant. Nelson also had Senaca Wallace, Scott Tolzein, and Matt Flynn throwing to him for 8 games. Yes, Randall Cobb was injured for 10 games and Jermichael Finley was out with a broken neck,the ball had to go somewhere. With Randall Cobb in the lineup with Nelson there are more teams with worse receiving core than better.

Nelson isn't as flashy as many of the top receivers in the NFL. He isn't a nut job like many of the other top receivers. Nelson is easily a top 10 receiver. You can't fault him for Rodgers being his quarterback either.

System or not, if you took Nelson's numbers in games where Rodgers played and extrapolated them over 16 games, Nelson would have been the #1 WR in the game last year.

Please note, nowhere am I saying that Nelson is the best receiver in the NFL. I am only saying that he is underrated.

Hes had 1 good season.

To show you how ridiculous some of these arguments are. And how much the system matters, Packerfan himself said Jordy Nelson had more yards than Blah Blah Blah. Yet there is not a GM in the entire league that would take Jordy Nelson over any one of them and is including if Jordy Nelson had naked pictures of said GM and was holding two supermodels in his arms as a gift.

Its not even debatable. Its like saying Julian Edelman is all of the sudden awesome because he had over 1000 yards last year and over 100 catches. He didnt just learn how to be better. He was the product of a great system, with a great QB, and was the only guy to catch passes.

Last season Jordy Nelson had more yards than Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, and Dez Bryant. Nelson also had Senaca Wallace, Scott Tolzein, and Matt Flynn throwing to him for 8 games. Yes, Randall Cobb was injured for 10 games and Jermichael Finley was out with a broken neck,the ball had to go somewhere. With Randall Cobb in the lineup with Nelson there are more teams with worse receiving core than better.

Nelson isn't as flashy as many of the top receivers in the NFL. He isn't a nut job like many of the other top receivers. Nelson is easily a top 10 receiver. You can't fault him for Rodgers being his quarterback either.

Jordy had 1 good season.

Marshall and Fitz have been solid for a long time.

If Jordy continues for multiple seasons, then perhaps he will be in their league.

Top 10 right now...ehhhh

Based on your argument, I could say Josh Gordon is the greatest WR of all time cause of the numbers he put up with a bunch of turds tossing him the ball all season

Jordy had 1 good season.

Marshall and Fitz have been solid for a long time.

If Jordy continues for multiple seasons, then perhaps he will be in their league.

Top 10 right now...ehhhh

Based on your argument, I could say Josh Gordon is the greatest WR of all time cause of the numbers he put up with a bunch of turds tossing him the ball all season

Nelson was injured for some of 2012. He did have a fantastic 2011. But so did everybody in Green Bay's offense. Including Matt Flynn.

I get it. Packer fan is a homer nut job who can't see facts. The NFL is becoming a passing league which makes receiving numbers seem crazy.

To show you how ridiculous some of these arguments are. And how much the system matters, Packerfan himself said Jordy Nelson had more yards than Blah Blah Blah. Yet there is not a GM in the entire league that would take Jordy Nelson over any one of them and is including if Jordy Nelson had naked pictures of said GM and was holding two supermodels in his arms as a gift.

Its not even debatable. Its like saying Julian Edelman is all of the sudden awesome because he had over 1000 yards last year and over 100 catches. He didnt just learn how to be better. He was the product of a great system, with a great QB, and was the only guy to catch passes.

Never underestimate the Brown's front office.

Nelson was injured for some of 2012. He did have a fantastic 2011. But so did everybody in Green Bay's offense. Including Matt Flynn.

I get it. Packer fan is a homer nut job who can't see facts. The NFL is becoming a passing league which makes receiving numbers seem crazy.

Id go Top 25 if that makes you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back