Panda Tip: Play to your PAR not the others guys Par.

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
How many times have you teed it up with all the confidence in the world after a solid pre-round warm up? I would suspect everyone has had this feeling. The first few holes are pretty solid and you start feeling good. Then you become aware that your playing partner is hitting it past you or playing better. All of sudden, whether you realize it or not, you are trying to keep up or out play him. You game starts to get sideways and the frustration level builds. The next thing you know you have carded a 9 over 45 and have no idea what just happened.

Well what happened is that instead of staying within yourself, you started playing a game of keep up. The tempo increased, the form got sloppy and the score went up. All because you didn't play your game. The mind is a powerful tool and will take over before you know it. It is so important to dance with one you brought. So what if someone hits it buy you off the tee or hits more greens or makes more putts. Unless you are playing this person for money it shouldn't matter. Even if you are, you should stay with what works for you. Play to you strengths and play for the best score you can achieve on that given day.

I see so many people try to play above themselves and it ends up being worse then it needs to be. All of sudden you are turning an 80 into a 90 or worse. More shots are lost between the ears then they are on the course. I believe everyone has a set PAR, play to that, don't play to the other guys par. There is always going to be someone better than you but that doesn't mean you need to help them look better by playing poorly. Playing your game on any given day my be just enough to beat them or stay close to them. Staying close to someone that is better than you will build a lot of confidence.

Such solid advice Panda. It is very difficult to think this way through an entire round, and I definitely need to work on that.

Guilty of this. Whether it's trying to keep up or playing well and thinking I can start pushing it. If your playing well, keep doing what's making that happen.

Very solid advice!

I always tend to do this when playing with unfamiliar partners, trying to press my game and impress them..... but then I thought "Why do I care if I impress them".

My last round with new partners I played my game. Laid up when I knew I needed to. Played safe. Played within my game. Best score I have posted in ages.

I've been there, but it's a solid tip Freddie, and something we should all keep in mind, it's tough to "play your game" but if you stick to playing within yourself you won't get yourself into any trouble!

+1 here Freddie. My PB round a couple of weeks ago was just that. I didn't bring the best swing but I was able to capitalize on a couple lucky bounces and kept the mistakes to a relative minimum. Even beat one of my playing partners who is usually 5-10 strokes below me.

I can totally own this one, and should have done just what you said last week in Indy. I think I got ahead of myself on some shots and really tried to either make something happen, or keep up with the pack, instead of doing what I know I can do best. The game I played Sunday was better than the one when it counted, and that really irritates me. Something I will have to remember going into September and the Gauntlet.

I'd be pretty happy with a 9 over 45... :alien:

This is a great tip. I need to remember this more when playing in league play. We've got a couple guys who are near scratch, where I'm a bogey golfer (actually worse in my league handicap thanks to some serious shank action last year). I've done the best in matches when I've just played my game, and avoided trying to match the person I'm playing shot for shot.

The number one issue I face is my brain. So, you're SO right about how the space between the ears can effect one's round and turn what a "good round" for me is right now into a disaster. Happened last night. I was playing by myself, but my brain and "golf swing" are killing me right now.

Really STRONG advice. Staying within myself and playing my game is the mental side of the game that I'm working on.

I do this all the time. I repeat that mantra all the time. Probably anyone who has played with me has heard me say at one time "Bogey golf is good golf". And that is for me, it wouldn't apply to one of my buddies or my son. If I can play at 90, I'm doing pretty good. I'm typically in the low to mid 90's. When I can consistently play less than 90, that mantra will change. I don't worry about where you are in the fairway or the fact that you are hitting from the blues and I'm playing from the whites and you are still outdriving me. You are playing your game, and I'm playing mine. My goal yesterday was 88. I ended up with an 89 and I was pleased. I also know that I left a handful of shots that I completely screwed up, but that's why my scores are what they are. I will probably keep 88 as my goal until I can hit consistently then I'll change it to 85 or whatever is appropriate. When that happens I'll have to change my mantra from bogey golf is good golf to something else, LOL. PLay to your handicap. And if your handicap says you should be playing 82 and you play within a couple of strokes of that, then you had a good round.

This weekend, I'm playing a tough course that I've only broken 100 on once in the 5 or 6 times I've played it. My goal will probably be around 95. I hope I can achieve it. If I play better yippee!!, If not, well then I hope I can learn from it so that I can play the course better next go round.

Great message!

Getting sideways mid round is no fun, the exact thing you said happened yesterday.
If I stayed within myself I might not have had a 3 hour drive with a guy with such a poor attitude (Myself).

Wise words Freddie. Its funny how I can get rattled when trying to keep up with others, but I bounce back quickly when playing by myself.

How many times have you teed it up with all the confidence in the world after a solid pre-round warm up? I would suspect everyone has had this feeling. The first few holes are pretty solid and you start feeling good. Then you become aware that your playing partner is hitting it past you or playing better. All of sudden, whether you realize it or not, you are trying to keep up or out play him. You game starts to get sideways and the frustration level builds. The next thing you know you have carded a 9 over 45 and have no idea what just happened.

Well what happened is that instead of staying within yourself, you started playing a game of keep up. The tempo increased, the form got sloppy and the score went up. All because you didn't play your game. The mind is a powerful tool and will take over before you know it. It is so important to dance with one you brought. So what if someone hits it buy you off the tee or hits more greens or makes more putts. Unless you are playing this person for money it shouldn't matter. Even if you are, you should stay with what works for you. Play to you strengths and play for the best score you can achieve on that given day.

I see so many people try to play above themselves and it ends up being worse then it needs to be. All of sudden you are turning an 80 into a 90 or worse. More shots are lost between the ears then they are on the course. I believe everyone has a set PAR, play to that, don't play to the other guys par. There is always going to be someone better than you but that doesn't mean you need to help them look better by playing poorly. Playing your game on any given day my be just enough to beat them or stay close to them. Staying close to someone that is better than you will build a lot of confidence.

Some of the best advice I've ever read, well said Freddie.

Amazing advice. My biggest issue is my head on the course. I know I have the game to shoot consistently in 80's but something creeps in my head. When I am playing with someone better then me I am able to raise my game but playing with worst players kills me. To your point, just play your game and not worry what is going on around you.

Oh so true Freddie, this was a huge issue of mine as I always tried to play to the course Par when playing solo or tried to keep up with my partners when playing in a group.

I believe I have finally accepted my game where it is and will continue to play my game

This happens to me all the time. It gets frustrating hitting hybrids and fairway woods into greens when your playing partners are hitting 9 iron or wedges.

This is a really good thought, and one that gets even tougher to execute when you are playing formats like scrambles where the result of each of your shots may not matter.

LOL You seen me golf it looks like ... I get caught up in the tee box trying to drive a bomb and second shot on a par 5 ... when in fact my best golf comes from trying to play bogey golf, and just trying to keep it in or close to the fairway and not going for the green on second par 5 shot ...

Good reminder/advice to many of us

Wise words Freddie. Its funny how I can get rattled when trying to keep up with others, but I bounce back quickly when playing by myself.

So very true - when I play just with myself or 3 randoms its much better. Funny how that works.

This one speaks to me, although I usually am playing them for money. Definitely trying to play my game and let the chips fall where they will. Great practice for #TheGauntlet.

Great advice and thoughts Freddie. Its amazing how we all have a game plan until we get punched in the face

Last edited:
Great tip Panda, especially if you are playing for a new personal goal. Too many people get wrapped up in others on the course instead of just playing the best they can with their skill set

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Great tip from the wise one. Luckily I can say that this doesn't affect me. I think I learned long ago that I won't necessarily be the longest hitter off the tee, so I just play my game.

Back