Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

Congratulations Porky and ArmyGolf! I hope you love yours as much as I do mine.

just chiming in to say I'm loving these sticks. Shed 2+ points off my handicap immediately and had my first sub 40 9 using them. My only complaint would be the lofting and double gap wedges. I like carrying a 60, and that isn't possible yet...not sure what to drop.

Nice to see all the folks trying or buying these. It sounds like many of you have seen what I've seen.

Had probably my best day yet with them since this whole swing change journey started. 8 GIR, which for me is quite good. Two birdies, both from AP1 shots that were right in there and had some solid mid irons shots as well. Predictable ball flight on my decent swings, so I'm finding it fairly easy to take aim and swing.

While I'm always amazed at just how high some THP'rs hit the ball, some much higher than I could dream of, for me these fly high and I had a good number of balls close to their pitchmark - more so with the 8-W1.

It'll take a pretty special iron to unseat these for me. It's a set I could easily see myself playing for a couple seasons or more, though I know the way my world turns. Change is inevitable with testing, but I do hang on to the clubs that outperform others as evidenced by my bag.

That sounds great hawk. That's kind of how I'm feeling about my Apex pros. It was a little tough to part with AP1s.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Well traded in my G25 for a set of these. Guess I'm lucky after fitting I walked out with the xp95 with no adjustments needed. Played two rounds with them so far and man are they sweet. Hitting my 8i 150-155 so a little increased distance or my swing may have just gotten a little better. Loving the consistency and flight of the ball, the trajectory is a little lower than the g25's. Great irons.

Nice smails. Having spent a considerable amount of time with both I have to say I prefer these in a big way as well. Nothing against the 25's though. They are nice, but these just fit all the things I'm looking for in an iron.

Side note-

Had a fantastic outdoor fitting with fancy track man, real grass, tons of heads and countless shafts.

The titleist 913Hd 23* is a pretty damn good 714 AP1 4 iron alterantive; at least for me. hit it 10-15 yards LONGER than my 5i.
Benefited from the lower spin. I did not find it "workable" in a very good way.

Last edited:
Is 'shorter' a typo?

Very nice. How'd that hybrid look for you at address?

Side note-

Had a fantastic outdoor fitting with fancy track man, real grass, tons of heads and countless shafts.

The titleist 913Hd 23* is a pretty damn good 714 AP1 4 iron alterantive; at least for me. hit it 10-15 yards LONGER than my 5i.
Benefited from the lower spin. I did not find it "workable" in a very good way.

Isn't your 4 iron alternative supposed to go 10-15 yds longer than your 5 iron?, sounds like a pretty good gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Isn't your 4 iron alternative supposed to go 10-15 yds longer than your 5 iron?, sounds like a pretty good gap.

Yes, typo. I think I fixed it. To be clear

5i-flew ~200 (198-202)
913 Hd 23*-flew ~210-215

Ahh there you go. Thats a long 5 iron btw, is that your regular 5 iron distance or did it go up with the AP1's? I wonder if the AP1's will be longer than the R11's.

Cant wait for the ap1's to get here!!!

Last edited:

Ahh there you go. Thats a long 5 iron btw, is that your regular 5 iron distance or did it go up with the AP1's? I wonder if the AP1's will be longer than the R11's.

Cant wait for the ap1's to get here!!!

Longer. 1/2 clubish. Also went XStiff shaft as that seemed to improve control or me. Lofts are strong and the club had some jump.

I have said the 5i is as long as my old 4i and as straight as my old 6i.

Last edited:
I got my new weapons of mass hookage...can't wait to use them.
a5a7y6yd.jpg
7etetemy.jpg

Very nice. Jealous you got the W2.

Lots of AP 1 love in here. That's a good thing because they are a solid set of irons.

I got my new weapons of mass hookage...can't wait to use them.
a5a7y6yd.jpg
7etetemy.jpg

How awesome is that??!!??

How is your wedge set? Whats after that 52?

Ok. Tried a 6 iron demo with X100 shaft in it. Liked the feel and ball flight, but tough to get past the top line and offset... Gonna have to find a store/course with more fitting options.

How awesome is that??!!??

How is your wedge set? Whats after that 52?

I'm going to go with a 56,60 pair of J40 wedges. Im a little concerned about my yardage gap between the 52 AP1 and the 56 but I'll have to figure that out over time.

I'm going to go with a 56,60 pair of J40 wedges. Im a little concerned about my yardage gap between the 52 AP1 and the 56 but I'll have to figure that out over time.

That leads to the question, hows the top of your bag looking?, driver, 3 wood?

I didn't get the 52 W1 because i like to have driver, 3W, 3hybrid.. So i went from the 48W1 directly to. 54-58 wedge set.

Right now I'm bagging two drivers and then going straight to 4i. No need to hit it longer than a 220 4i for me.

Right now I'm bagging two drivers and then going straight to 4i. No need to hit it longer than a 220 4i for me.

Haha 220 4i lol... Distance envy :)

Why 2 drivers though?, short shaft?

Back