TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

May want to wait until you hit your driver supplied by your sponsor first. :D

Very very smart point, that's experience talking isn't it?

I have no idea why. But I had better numbers with the 430 as well.

Same here i just could not justify the additional cost for a few yard diffrence (5 yard avg)

I made the mistake of hitting the 430 today while killing some time at goldsmith before a flight. Was not interested at all, just wanted to swing a club with a heavy shaft. I swung a few random 2014 brands with light shafts but was just getting nothing out of them. Got the 430 with tour spec S 77 gram shaft. Oh dear, I wanted to buy it on the spot. My dispersion of 8 shots landed so close together it was ridiculous. Keep in mind I had just sprayed shots from other random demos all over the place. If anything I am biased against TM drivers, but this has me thinkin

I made the mistake of hitting the 430 today while killing some time at goldsmith before a flight. Was not interested at all, just wanted to swing a club with a heavy shaft. I swung a few random 2014 brands with light shafts but was just getting nothing out of them. Got the 430 with tour spec S 77 gram shaft. Oh dear, I wanted to buy it on the spot. My dispersion of 8 shots landed so close together it was ridiculous. Keep in mind I had just sprayed shots from other random demos all over the place. If anything I am biased against TM drivers, but this has me thinkin

The 430 head seems special I was using a 12* loft i say the same the furthest dispersion any of my shots were was 6 yards with the 460 they were 10 yards

I'm a fan of my SLDR 430

I'm a fan of my SLDR 430

Getting there too--The smaller head just seems to fit my eye at address also! Going to find an outdoor demo at some point and test for real. I was not a fan of the original SLDR driver either--did nothing close to the current gamer and would have never touched this one had it not been on the demo rack with the 77 gram shaft.

Getting there too--The smaller head just seems to fit my eye at address also! Going to find an outdoor demo at some point and test for real. I was not a fan of the original SLDR driver either--did nothing close to the current gamer and would have never touched this one had it not been on the demo rack with the 77 gram shaft.

I'm surprised it had a 77 gram shaft. The 430 comes with a 67 gram shaft

I'm surprised it had a 77 gram shaft. The 430 comes with a 67 gram shaft

Was the Tour Spec 7.3 77 gram Stiff--maybe it was the 430 TP?

Question for those in the Know, is the 430 head the same but the TP option is just the upgraded shaft?

Question for those in the Know, is the 430 head the same but the TP option is just the upgraded shaft?

The TP option is a shaft upgrade in all Taylormade woods

Josh how does this driver compare in terms of forgiveness to the super deep?

Shaft is the only diffrence between TP and Reg

The TP option is a shaft upgrade in all Taylormade woods

8aduvepy.jpg

That's not the only difference. Look closely. I don't know all the details but wrx has the article if you're interested.

I found it interesting they said in most cases none of is would ever benefit from the tp versions and that even pros don't always benefit from them. I think the gist of it was that the TPs are made to assure more continuity in confirming drivers in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8aduvepy.jpg

That's not the only difference. Look closely. I don't know all the details but wrx has the article if you're interested.

I found it interesting they said in most cases none of is would ever benefit from the tp versions and that even pros don't always benefit from them. I think the gist of it was that the TPs are made to assure more continuity in confirming drivers in production.

The picture you have posted is of a V2 head which was the head used on Tour with the R1 & R11s it was 20cc smaller than retail and has a smaller sweet spot TM has done this with tour heads for a while they had the R11 Dot head which was a 420 cc head, heck the R11s had a V3, was 390cc made for sergio

With the SLDR there are only 2 head 460 and 430 the tour guys use the same heads the 460 head is sometimes called the V2 because the V1 was a tour only prototype and was only about 100 made

The only diffrence is the shaft

8aduvepy.jpg

The only difference between a standard driver and TP driver is the shaft. A Tour V2 head is different all together.

The picture you have posted is of a V2 head which was the head used on Tour with the R1 & R11s it was 20cc smaller than retail and has a smaller sweet spot TM has done this with tour heads for a while they had the R11 Dot head which was a 420 cc head, heck the R11s had a V3, was 390cc made for sergio

With the SLDR there are only 2 head 460 and 430 the tour guys use the same heads the 460 head is sometimes called the V2 because the V1 was a tour only prototype and was only about 100 made

The only diffrence is the shaft

The only difference between a standard driver and TP driver is the shaft. A Tour V2 head is different all together.

I guess I stand corrected then. I thought that these were essentially TP heads? thanks for clarifying then.

I guess I stand corrected then. I thought that these were essentially TP heads? thanks for clarifying then.

Your understanding is the exact reason why the players irons from Taylormade are "Tour Preferred" and not TP.

TM was selling them last year as Tour Head but i have never seen them as TP back in the R5 days the TP model was diffrent

Damn marketing people!

Hit the range again today toting this one at 14* and 44.5". Not sure if it's the swing just jiving or the shorter length, but I have found a decent groove with this driver.

Not the best I have ever gamed, but I am really finding myself with this one. Misses off the toe are just not there for me right now, and I am just missing either high or low on the face which doesn't result in a miserably penal shot.

I have a bit more work to do with this one. But the higher loft and shorter shaft have it working for me at the moment.

Hit the range again today toting this one at 14* and 44.5". Not sure if it's the swing just jiving or the shorter length, but I have found a decent groove with this driver.

Not the best I have ever gamed, but I am really finding myself with this one. Misses off the toe are just not there for me right now, and I am just missing either high or low on the face which doesn't result in a miserably penal shot.

I have a bit more work to do with this one. But the higher loft and shorter shaft have it working for me at the moment.

Encouraging progress compared to early feedback from you. Looking forward to more feedback.

One question that pops up due to your comment on the shorter shaft. Assuming you've hit the SLDR mini, how does the shorter SLDR compare to the mini?

Back