Serola Sacroiliac Belt Review Thread

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Last week 9 THP'ers along with myself were selected to test out a product that could help with lower back pain. It's called the Serola Sacroiliac Belt and you can read more about it in the sign up thread here http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...erola-Sacroiliac-Belt-relieve-lower-back-pain.

This is the thread that will be used to discuss our thoughts, feedback and experience with the belt.

I will get started. I received the belt last week, so I have been using it for almost a full week now. It's super easy to put on, I followed the video below.

As soon as I put it on I could instantly feel my hips align. It felt like I got an adjustment from a chiropractor.

I was unsure if I should wear it over my clothes or under, so I tried both ways. It wasn't terribly uncomfortable under my clothes, but I found the belt to be a little scratchy this way. However, when I wore it over my gym shorts, I found that my shorts would raise up too high making them a little too short for my liking. I am not going out in public so it doesn't matter too much, but if I were, then the belt would definitely go under my clothes. The good thing is that you can't really tell it's on when worn under clothing, which I appreciated.

In the week that I have worn it, I can say that my back has felt quite a bit better. I haven't had to use the heating pad at night every night, which is a vast improvement from before. However, I am doing a lot of yoga right now, so I don't want to make the claim that it is 100% the belt that has caused this change.

My only complaint so far is that I find it pretty uncomfortable to wear when sitting down. It's pretty constricting, and I find that it moves up a bit and I need to constantly adjust it. This could be user error though, so I am interested to see what the others think.

The belts were shipped on Friday, so everyone should start getting theirs early this week.

This should be an interesting thread!

good start GG. I was wondering about if it should be worn over or under cloths as well. When you wear it, how long do you keep it on for?

GG: when you wear it under clothes, does is affect the sizing at all? Meaning if you had a pair of jeans for example that were designed to be tight, would this fit under them?

I'm pushing my limits on some golf shirts and curious if I'll be able to wear this while playing.

• Admin
good start GG. I was wondering about if it should be worn over or under cloths as well. When you wear it, how long do you keep it on for?

Pretty much all day. I put it on when I wake up and keep it for most of the day. I do not wear it when I work out.

Is the belt designed to be worn all day or just as needed? Is there a time frame they recommend?

I think the website says to wear all day and during lifting and twisting.

GG your comment about being uncomfortable while sitting worries as I sit at a computer all day. Maybe it is as you say user error or maybe it become more comfortable as time goes on

GG - are your gym shorts nylon? Does the device make natural fabric (everyday) shorts move up too? Also, have you had this much pain relief from doing yoga before or is there more than usual pain relief?

• Admin
GG: when you wear it under clothes, does is affect the sizing at all? Meaning if you had a pair of jeans for example that were designed to be tight, would this fit under them?

I'm pushing my limits on some golf shirts and curious if I'll be able to wear this while playing.

Yes, it would. The material is pretty flat so there should be no issues wearing it under jeans. It might be a little uncomfortable because the material might get a little scratchy, but that could just be my experience. Part of that is because I think I got the wrong size so I have it tightened all the way so there's a bit of extra material.

Is the belt designed to be worn all day or just as needed? Is there a time frame they recommend?

You can wear it for as little or as much as you would like. It doesn't give a set amount of time to wear it, but it says you can wear it for as long as you would like, unlike a lumbar belt which is only used for strenuous activity.

• Admin
I think the website says to wear all day and during lifting and twisting.

GG your comment about being uncomfortable while sitting worries as I sit at a computer all day. Maybe it is as you say user error or maybe it become more comfortable as time goes on

I am curious to see how it feels for you guys when you are sitting down. It could be because I am a female so I have those 'child bearing hips' haha.

GG - are your gym shorts nylon? Does the device make natural fabric (everyday) shorts move up too? Also, have you had this much pain relief from doing yoga before or is there more than usual pain relief?

Yes, my shorts are nylon, which is why it moves them up. It doesn't do it if I am wearing regular shorts or pants. Although, when wearing regular clothes, I prefer to wear it underneath them so it doesn't show, and then no one would know I even have it on.

Yes, I have seen significant relief from yoga in the past, but not this quickly, which is why I think a large part of it is due to the belt and not just the yoga.

Yes, it would. The material is pretty flat so there should be no issues wearing it under jeans. It might be a little uncomfortable because the material might get a little scratchy, but that could just be my experience. Part of that is because I think I got the wrong size so I have it tightened all the way so there's a bit of extra material.

You can wear it for as little or as much as you would like. It doesn't give a set amount of time to wear it, but it says you can wear it for as long as you would like, unlike a lumbar belt which is only used for strenuous activity.

Based on the bolded comment I am glad I sized down when being on a border between sizes.

Based on the bolded comment I am glad I sized down when being on a border between sizes.

I measured and I knew I should have gone with a small, but I feared that was going to be too small for some reason, so I went with a medium and now I realize I could have easily gone with the small and still been able to tighten it.

I measured and I knew I should have gone with a small, but I feared that was going to be too small for some reason, so I went with a medium and now I realize I could have easily gone with the small and still been able to tighten it.

This has me wondering about changing mine from small to medium. Do you think their recommendation leans too much to "safe" sizing?

You changed yours to Medium, and I think that will be the right size for you.

I was basically wondering if I would regret going from small to medium but it sounds like I won't!

I'll be back in town on Thursday and hopefully this is waiting for me, testing will start on Friday in Tennessee! :)

I will be following this closely as someone that deals with back pain....cant wait to see some testing while playing golf.

Just got word that mine is waiting for me at home. I'll snap some pictures tonight and get the ball rolling. I'm looking forward to this review.

Any chance we could get a primer on what the SI joints are, where they are located and how we would know if that's a potential cause of the pain we deal with? As this product appears to be somewhat specific to that particular cause, it could be helpful. Thanks.

Any chance we could get a primer on what the SI joints are, where they are located and how we would know if that's a potential cause of the pain we deal with? As this product appears to be somewhat specific to that particular cause, it could be helpful. Thanks.

Here is some info from the company:

For 24 years, physical therapists, sports-medicine trainers and chiropractors have been using the Serola Sacroiliac Belt in their treatments, but 2014 marks the first time Serola Biomechanics is making a concerted effort to reach golfers directly. The Serola Sacroiliac Belt is designed to help alleviate back pain and increase golf performance by providing relief to the Sacroiliac joints (SI joints), located in the lower back below the hip bones but above where the legs start. A common cause for those with lower-back pain is the SI joints. The Serola Sacroiliac Belt helps stabilize those joints and the muscles surrounding them, allowing better circulation and normal functionality of the muscles – providing greater power and reduced pain during the golf swing.

And this is a page form their website explaining the SI joints http://www.serola.net/Serola-Theory/sacroiliac-joint-info.html

[h=2]Sacroiliac Joint[/h]Prior to 1934, when lumbar disc herniation was discovered, the sacroiliac joint was thought to be the major source of low back pain. About that time, concern was diverted to surgical remedies for discs which, although providing dramatic relief in some cases, have proven to be limited in relieving many low back complaints.
With the recent emergence of biomechanical science, the sacroiliac joints are again considered to play a pivotal role in the total musculoskeletal complex.
sij_arrows.jpg
The sacroiliac joints are two of the most important support centers of the body, positioned where the body’s weight transfers from the spine obliquely through the pelvis to the legs. Studies conclude that the sacroiliac joints are important sensors of large force streams between the trunk and legs in which the largest muscles of the body are involved. In this respect, the sacroiliac joint functions as a multi-directional force transducer.
The base of the spinal column, the sacrum, is supported at it’s attachment to the iliac bones of the pelvis solely by strong ligaments that make up the sacroiliac joints. Within these ligaments are nerves which control and orient the body’s posture. Sprain of these ligaments caused instability (looseness) which leads to muscle spasm, pain, and postural imbalances throughout the body.
Referred pain patterns from the sacroiliac joint can involve the entire back and may run down the front, side, or back of the leg to the outside of the foot. One key finding is that pain is usually worse on one side of the body. During the healing process, instability can result in comprised function and frequent re-injury.
muscles-which-moves-sij.png
The Serola Sacroiliac Belt is designed to compress and support the sacroiliac joints, thereby relieving stress and instability at these weight bearing structures. Just as importantly, it is not so tight that it is restrictive. Excess or insufficient motion can adversely affect the entire musculoskeletal system. The Serola Sacroiliac Belt, by providing the correct balance of resistance and resilience, re-establishes the joint’s normal motion.
Because of the stability the Serola Sacroiliac Belt gives to the base of your spine, strength is increased throughout your back, hips, and legs, and your chances of injury are lessened considerably during work or play.

A column of stacked blocks is only as stable as it’s base. With instability, the column weakens. Putting a support band around the blocks that are beginning to fall would not be as effective as supporting the base. Wearing a lumbar belt instead of a sacroiliac belt is often a very similar analogy. So, enjoy your work and all your favorite activities, even sleep, wearing the best support available, the Serola Sacroiliac Belt.

SI pain may be the worst lower back pain to deal with. Every now and then my pelvis will go out of alignment and I get the feeling of a butter knife being put into my back. Can't wait to hear the testers' experiences.

Great info, GG, thanks for posting.

Completely agree on the SI joint pains. Something I have had tondo a lot of yoga on to get some comfort level on out on the course. Really interested to see what the feedback is on this bc if it works I will be purchasing one

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Big thanks to Serola and THP, I wanted to snap a few pictures while I had daylight left, I am going to have a write up later tonight on some initial things I want to focus on during the test. If Tapatalk butchers these photos, I'll upload them to photo bucket tomorrow. Early impressions = very impressed

ry7aqe6a.jpg

ybapa8yb.jpg

qevupu3e.jpg

yju2udad.jpg

pubu8u9y.jpg

Literature included:

pusehy2a.jpg

anuvuruh.jpg

OK, so a bit of a background on me. I've been a licensed chiropractor for 2 and a half years here in the great state of PA. I graduated chiropractic school in October of 2011 and I deal with SI and low back pain basically every day. I like to help give my patients alternative ways, other than adjustments, to help deal with low back pain throughout the day, so when I saw this product was up for testing, I was excited to have the chance to give it a run through it's paces to see how well it worked and how practical it could be for, not only golfers, but the general public.

One thing that caught my attention right off the bat was this little snip bit from the brochure that was sent: The bolded part is what I found interesting.

1. Fasten the Serola SI Belt securely on the person.
2. Test the strength of any muscle, One easy test is to have a sitting person raise a foot off the ground and you push down on the thigh.
3. Remove the belt and retest the muscle strength.
4. Test with any other lumbar support.

RESULT
Since muscle strength is an indicator of joint integrity, the difference in strength is the difference in support. If the person is stronger with the belt on, this indicates that the person may have an unstable sacroiliac joint.

So with that being said, there are multiple questions I want to look into with this belt, as I am someone who has joint instability in my left SI joint from a muscle and from a joint fixation (joint stuck and not moving correctly) standpoint.

How well does the belt help address the muscle instability component of the joint instability complex?

Longevity of symptom relief. ( Do you always have to have the belt on to get relief?)

Is there a marked increase in lower back strength due to the Serola Belt's ability to support the SI joints?

Will the Serola Belt help increase recovery time of acute SI injuries coupled with chiropractic adjustments?

I see a lot of products like this in my profession, but none really geared towards longevity and healing, like the Serola belt claims. So I am really interested in how the belt works over the long haul, and probably won't be able to give a definitive answer for a couple of months. With that, here are my initial thoughts:

The belt is very easy to use and put on, you attach the velcro in the front, just below the waist line, and then pull the straps from behind to tighten the belt so it fits snugly and doesn't cut off circulation or range of motion. The velcro and elastic seems very durable, and even while in a sitting position (as I type this) it doesn't slide up or down and seems to keep it's tension very well. It also doesn't cut into your stomach or sides while sitting either, the velcro or elastic molds to the body (even those with a bit of "baggage" in the front).

As soon as the belt was put on tonight I noticed the "support" aspect right away. I felt like my lower back and SI joints were in a comfortable position, but didn't have too much pressure put on them. That is something I have found with other supports, they seem to either be uncomfortable, or aren't able to be customized for a correct fit. Not an issues with the Serola belt basically can fit any type of body size with the right generic size picked out.

Overall, I am impressed with the build and composition of the belt, and am looking forward to a long term test of this in a variety of different conditions and situations. Hopefully I didn't put too much science talk in there, and everyone can understand it. More to come!

Even if I weren't getting to test this out, I would be so interested in what dcbrad has to say about it.

Hopefully mine comes tomorrow. So far my fellow testers are kicking butt. Can't say that I am not jealous haha.

Back