Wildlife Seen on the Golf Course

Ran face to face into 9 foot grizzly bear up in Priest Lake Idaho while looking for an errant tee shot in the woods. Thank God it wasn't a momma with cubs. Just stood still and watched as the bear scrambled off without incident. Had to change underwear after that encounter. Lolll

Ran face to face into 9 foot grizzly bear up in Priest Lake Idaho while looking for an errant tee shot in the woods. Thank God it wasn't a momma with cubs. Just stood still and watched as the bear scrambled off without incident. Had to change underwear after that encounter. Lolll

I've run into a couple black bears over the years fishing and it is a drawer changing experience lol, I couldn't imagine a Grizzly.

Saw a hawk today making easy work of some mice in the tall native grass, he could've cared less how close we got as long as we didn't interfere with his lunch.

Ok got an email someone sent.
Is this real? Somewhere in Florida taken off a golf course, a eastern diamond back that is crazy HUGE. Had 1/4" dia. & 6" long fangs.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/StJohn-Rattlesnake.htm#.U2hSCi8RY9Q

I think the above is what you're referring to. I've seen some pretty big rattlesnakes not too far from here, but 6" long fangs would mean bigger than any recorded snake ever of any type by a *longshot* :)

Not quite as scary as man-eating reptiles and bears, but at my home course we currently have 4 different families of canadian goose. 4 mating pair and 4 gaggles of goslings. We get to watch them grow up and after a few more months fly back north. Then do it all over again next year :)

Yep that's the one

I put this on twitter last week, but I was playing the 17th hole at my home course and I pulled the tee shot left...but I was pretty sure it stayed out of the water.....well it didnt go in the water hazard, but I still had to take a drop.

1961425D_zpsd9e1e9f0.jpg

Had roadrunners all over the course in the past few day's... beep beep

I put this on twitter last week, but I was playing the 17th hole at my home course and I pulled the tee shot left...but I was pretty sure it stayed out of the water.....well it didnt go in the water hazard, but I still had to take a drop.

1961425D_zpsd9e1e9f0.jpg

I wonder if that is the same one I saw when I played there last time.

I wonder if that is the same one I saw when I played there last time.

Dunno...there are quite a few of them on the course these days.

Turkeys and deer are an everyday sighting at my home course. We do have a lot of rattlesnakes here in N. California but I've only seen one a few times on the golf course. I did kill one in my garage a few days ago with a 6 iron. :act-up: I've averaged about 1 rattlesnake in my yard, patio, or garage every 18 months since I moved here 16 years ago.

I didn't get a picture, but tonight on the 6th hole as we're teeing off, a turkey came out of the woods and walked across the fairway. I'm not sure I've seen a turkey on that course in the 8 years I've been in the golf league.

Watched a turkey walk along this morning, so cool to see him wander around.

This guy decided to swoop down for a refreshing drink

20140511_162130.jpg

Saw this ole girl today eating a fresh squirrel at Caledonia.

Beautiful bird. We had a painted turtle sunning himself on the #16 tee box on Saturday evening. It was the first evening round I've played in a while, the course is so perfect in the pre-dusk hours.

There were some fish jumping in the pond next to the #11 green/#12 tee box. As we are teeing off on #12, I hear a particularly loud splash and glance over just in time to see a balls skip then sink in the middle of the pond. The fish didn't seem to mind.

I guess it falls broadly under "wildlife" but I did find the first tick of the year. The cold winter has them unusually late this year. This one was either a little deer tick or a juvenile wood tick. KInda has my skin crawling still...

Saw a fox on Saturday. it was very intrigued by me but the noise from cart scared it into the woods.

utamepum.jpg

Saturday afternoon standing just off the back of #8 green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the 14th hole at Blue Heron Pines, just outside of Cape Coral, FL I hit into this big fella. Needless to say, I went home with one less ball than I showed up with.

No pic as it happened too fast.
Pushing my handcart (looking for ball) through some tall fescue just of the fairway yesterday when the front wheel (while walking) kind of lifts up on its own and the whole bag tilts back towards me and then I hear a very loud scretching kind of moaning growl yell almost "cat like" but not quite. Scared the daylights out of me and then up pops this creature. At first I didnt know what the heck was going on and thought to myself what the heck is this creature that is going to attack me and scratch my friging eyes out or something. The moan or growl like screetch was very inmtense.

Then after a couple seconds of adjusting my thoughts I saw what it was. It was a baby deer. And probably every bit as scared as me it just ran off quickly. But left me with my heart pounding out of my chest from being scared but then I also felt bad for it and hoped i didnt hurt it. Then i wondered where mommy was
and i dont mean just mine lol.

Thought it strange this youngster was alone. Hoping it wasnt alrweady injured or sick or something but it did run off rather well and quickly. But then i also strated looking around to make sure no mama was going to come charging me at me or something so i got uncomfy again about that thought for a few more seconds. Anyway it was quite the experience. Took a few minutes to calm myself down and I do hope that baby is alive and well doing whatever baby deers do.

Saw an osprey dive straight down into the water, right in front of our tee box. It didn't come out with a fish, that I could tell. But, it sure was cool to watch.

Took this video last Thursday.
http://youtu.be/DQcvj1yNLG8

There may be some foul language in it. We came across a road runner with a squirrel in its mouth, then another road runner came over who was apparently the female. The male with the squirrel does his thing to her and then she takes squirrel and beats the crap out of it against a rock to rip it apart I guess to eat. Very fascinating to watch. The road runners on the course are fairly friendly and will come up and take food out of your hand. I was shocked when this unfolded.

That was wild Vegan, that's Animal Planet type stuff there dude.

I had no idea they were meat eaters. I mean, bugs and stuff, yes, but not a mammal. Wow. I lived in Phoenix for five years and never saw anything like that.

As for the swap: During the courtship display, the male bows, alternately lifting and dropping his wings and spreading his tail. He parades in front of the female with his head high and his tail and wings drooped, and may bring an offering of food.

As for the swap: During the courtship display, the male bows, alternately lifting and dropping his wings and spreading his tail. He parades in front of the female with his head high and his tail and wings drooped, and may bring an offering of food.

Sounds like marriage lol.

See a lot of deer, squirels, and the occasional coyote or turkey here in MD. But coolest of all are the bald eagles and ospreys.

Back