Thoughts on playing lessons

Nebgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
#GolfIsFun
Have you ever done a playing lesson, and what were the biggest benefits to that vs a regular lesson?

This is something my pro brought up as an option at our first lesson and I'm getting to the point of thinking about pulling the trigger. When I practice things go well but when I get on the course things get a little more inconsistent and I'm hoping my pro can spot some issues and correct them as they happen.

Have you ever done a playing lesson, and what were the biggest benefits to that vs a regular lesson?

This is something my pro brought up as an option at our first lesson and I'm getting to the point of thinking about pulling the trigger. When I practice things go well but when I get on the course things get a little more inconsistent and I'm hoping my pro can spot some issues and correct them as they happen.
I've never done one but would absolutely be open to it. I think it would be nice to have a pro with me to see how my game translates to the course. I say go for it

It's definitely on my To-Do List. I want to get my swing cleaned up first, but I think this definitely would help in the course management and mental side of my game. Plus instead of beating balls you're on the course and actually playing.

Thanks for starting this. I am interested in the responses and your thoughts once you go thru with it. It's definitely something I have thought about as well.

Love them especially around the greens and short game. To have someone in my ear asking what shot I'm going to play, watch me hit the shot and then offer up what they might consider doing next time is great. But 100 yards in a playing lesson done by the right person is great to experience and will only help you in your #JourneyToBetter.

:D

I would love one. Short game shot advice as well as things like how to handle odd sidehill lies and the like.

I think they are a great idea. I mean fine tuning the swing and getting that right is obvoisly the goal of an instructor, but isnt the ultimate goal to be able to SCORE. having a pro out there giving you pointers on how to mentally get through holes and teach you when and how to pull off shots just sounds so invaluable to me.

I gave a teaching lesson today while I played. I was able to not only work on my clients swing but talk him out of bad club choices on the course. If done correctly the pro should give you swing tip, metal tips and course management tips.

Sorry Freddie....I didn't notice this was posted in your thread! I hate when that happens!!! #Sorry

As part of my golftec package I had a playing lesson, and it was probably the single most valuable lesson I had, for me as well as my coach. He was able to pick up on things that just weren't possible in the driving cage. I highly recommend it if it's available to you

I think it's a great idea. For me, things I practice, and do well with, just don't always translate to the course.

I have once scheduled for the first week if July.

I got the chance to play a round with a guy who caddied on the PGA for a couple years. Listening to him assess each shot,(distance,wind,lie) was eye opening. Having a Pro helping would be a huge help. I would say go for it.

They just started doing this at my home course this year, they have standing tee times on Tuesday afternoons for people to play with each pro, I so want to do it next week!

Sorry Freddie....I didn't notice this was posted in your thread! I hate when that happens!!! #Sorry
it was meant as an open question to all, so no harm here. sorry if I put it in the wrong spot.

Not my section buddy, just bares my name.

it was meant as an open question to all, so no harm here. sorry if I put it in the wrong spot.

No worries, I'm unclear if Freddie want's us to stay clear from answering till he's had a chance or not. I usually don't post when I see it's in his thread for advise.

I want everyone to offer up advise. I just want to stay on topic with Swing questions until I have had a chance to answer.
No worries, I'm unclear if Freddie want's us to stay clear from answering till he's had a chance or not. I usually don't post when I see it's in his thread for advise.

I would love to have a playing lesson some time, but I feel I still need too much on range lessons before a playing lesson can really help me

My next lesson is going to be this at my Pro's course. Never has a playing lesson before but I am really looking forward to it. He will really get to see where I struggle and help me right there. I think it's a great thing because anyone coming into a lesson at the range or on the green can tell the Instructor whatever they want. But once your out on the course you can really tell what the issues are. Pretty sure you will enjoy this Ryan and it will help you out BIG time.

I gave a teaching lesson today while I played. I was able to not only work on my clients swing but talk him out of bad club choices on the course. If done correctly the pro should give you swing tip, metal tips and course management tips.

I always liked giving playing lessons, I always felt that course management advice can be as helpful as a swing tip.

I've had several - they are great. Freddie nailed it with that last sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually think CM is more helpful. Smart choices on the course for a moderate play can make a sold score. I gave course managements tips on the front nine only and he was 5 shots better then the back, when left to his own choices.
I always liked giving playing lessons, I always felt that course management advice can be as helpful as a swing tip.

I have had only one playing lesson and it was very much like what Freddie described here. I found it very beneficial, especially from a course management perspective. If the instructor knows your swing fairly well, he knows what shots you should be attempting in some cases and those that you would be better off taking a more conservative approach. I found that 9 hole playing lessons were very helpful on occasion.

Back