Product Spotlight - Wilson Staff FG Tour Golf Ball

Nice write up...it makes me want to try them even though I typically only spend around $30 a dozen

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nice write up...it makes me want to try them even though I typically only spend around $30 a dozen

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Check Academy Sports online.

I picked up a box of these while in Aussie for $39. I haven't tried them yet but might give one a shot tomorrow. From what I have read they sound like a great ball.

Still plenty of these at the Academy stores in the Charlotte area.It is a steal at 29.99. Hope they make a little profit so they keep making them.

$29.99 at Academy Sports.Go get em
Thanks for the info Hawk. I would love to get a hold of these and try them for myself. Hard to think they'll sell a billion dozen with that price being so close to Pro V1 territory....people are going to just pick Pro V1 for the marketing alone I fear.

If they're durable I'd be all for checking some out though, thanks buddy!

Played the same ball the last two days, I really enjoy these, a lot.

Just grabbed 3 dozen more off of Academy's website off their clearance run on them, I couldn't resist. I'm a die hard RX'er, but these have been incredibly good for me my last three rounds. I'm a big fan to be honest.

They were $30 at Academy Sports last week. Not sure if the sale ended or not, but imo that is a steal.

Ryan, thanks A TON for this tip. They are still on sale and can be bought ON LINE WITH FREE SHIPPING at the same price. At first I thought they were clearing the old model FG Tour that is higher compression and only 3 layers, but no -- this is a clearance of the 2014 with four layers. It is inexplicably cheap and THPers would be smart to snap them all up like I'm doing. I really don't understand whey they are so cheap. Free shipping and no sales tax under $30 a dozen. This tip alone was worth the cost of my Albatross Club membership.

As a side note, let me add that I recently tried the Project a and liked it a lot. It performed and felt well and had a nice quality look to it. I also REALLY like the performance and soft feel of the new NXT Tour. Incredibly durable ball that looks like new after getting bashed around for a full round. If you close your eyes, you can't tell it from a ProV1, unfortunately it looks like a cheap ball from it's cheaper-looking printed script to slick, hard, "surlyn-looking" cover. It does not perform like a cheap surlyn ball, however, it just looks like one. But it cost me over $30 in a golf shop, so the Wilson's are cheaper!

Need to give these a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my shipment from Academy Golf. They are the new balls.

You guys are right, the covers are incredibly "sticky" in their feel. Much more so than even the ProV1's. Sticky soft like the old balatas. I think this is a very good thing and I can't wait to try them out.

Need to give these a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You will like them TBT, solid ball. If I hadn't just loaded up on another ball thanks to a crazy Woot deal I'd be buying 3 or 4 dozen of these on this sale.

That stickiness goes away after a bit of playing.

I wonder if Lamkin Gripes would bring it back?

Anyone that has played the SR2's & has played these can you post up some thoughts? I'm interested in the feel off the putter and how they spin on approach/wedge shots.

Yea, I've played them both quite a bit.

They both spin. W/S ball feels the softest of the two. No difference noticed in durability. Both good balls. I'd probably pick the W/S just because I like soft.

Grabbed a dozen off clearance at Academy Sports a few days ago and am very impressed. Played them for the first time yesterday and shot my best round of the season by far. I've been playing E5s the past couple months and was very happy with them. I started the season using NXT Tour, and then tried hard to like project(a) and Srixon Z-Star, before finding E5 performed better for me. Well that clearance price on the Wilson Staff proved too tempting and I love the ball after one round. Really soft light feel like the (a) without the loss of distance I (a) gave me; super spinner for me despite my slow swing speed (even 4i approaches stuck for me yesterday); and more durable than I expected. I played the same ball all round, hit two cart paths off the tee and both were towering drives that bounced at least 25' high off the paths. I could play that ball again if I chose as the damage was significantly less than I'd experienced with similar shots with (a) and E5.

That stickiness goes away after a bit of playing.

I wonder if Lamkin Gripes would bring it back?
That's an interesting question. I'll try it and let you know. I noticed that the Nike RZN's start out pretty, but they look sort of 'sandblasted' fast. I'm coming off the 2014 NXT Tour s, which I like for its performance and great durability. But it's not an attractive ball.

I can also attest to what Fupresti was saying. Faster swing speed here as well (Driver ~110) and love these balls. Long and durable. Greeat feel off the putter too

I played these balls for the first time today. My impressions were slightly different than my expectations.

First, I thought that they were very durable and the sticky surface lasted as long as I played the ball, surviving several washings. It's too early to make a secure judgment on distance with confidence, but I thought that maybe they were a tad shorter than the Prov1 off the driver, but a tad longer off my irons. I didn't really feel the compression much, they felt very similar to the Prov1 (black) to me. Backspin was the same, performance off of chips was the same. Performance off of my putter was perhaps a little jumpy, but I look forward to trying them again.

Update 6/19: I played 18 with this ball side by side with a 2014 ProV1x. It is every bit as good as the Titleist. I'm still not sure if it is slightly shorter than the Titleist off the driver or not. It was straighter on the day and if shorter it was only a couple of yards shorter. Probably within the margin of error for such an unscientific comparison. Not enough different to worry about.

I'm pretty convinced that it was a tad longer off of the irons, though. My Speedblades are really starting to like the combination of low compression with their trampoline faces. Backspin was equal to ProV. Chipping was the same, putting was the same, no issues. The sticky feel does come off after a while and it just feels "normal".

Here's the real barometer of quality for me -- when I hit one in the woods or the water, I GO AFTER IT! Just like I do with a ProV. If I lose a Cally, TMag, Nike or Bridgestone I let it go. At $30 a dozen vs. $48-54 a dozen for ProV, it is simply no contest. Hawk's and Jman's raves are too modest.

Last edited:
Just caught these on clearance at Academy in Fayetteville, AR. I bought the last 2 boxes @ $25 a box.

Going to check a couple of other Academy stores in the area to see if they have any left.

Just caught these on clearance at Academy in Fayetteville, AR. I bought the last 2 boxes @ $25 a box.

Going to check a couple of other Academy stores in the area to see if they have any left.
Heck of a steal right there

They aren't even showing available online even at full price.

I have a couple left over from the last batch I picked up. Solid peformer all around,expecally like the lower flight with these. Putting these in play tomorrow

I can save you the 2 hr trip to SGF. I bought the final three dozen our Academy had back in July at $29+. I'm hoping to find them somewhere at a bargain price again one day.

They aren't even showing available online even at full price.
Not at Academy. I know TGW had them at $44+ last week but I still hope to find them at a bargain somewhere. Really an awesome ball for me.

I picked up a dozen of these today and am excited to use them for the next little while. Great review Hawk...I know I'm a year late but I really enjoyed that one!

Back