Thoughts on playing lessons

Hope to play 18 tomorrow at Reunion after my lesson, I am going to see if the Instructor can come out for some of it. Seems like it would be a great help as my on course swing is always different from the range swing and maybe he can spot what else I need to work on, besides the obvious things we are starting on.

Last edited:
I have had several in my life and each one did me good. My PGA Pro just rides along and waits to see what club you pull, what your thinking etc. It opened me to the whole idea that there is more than one way to do certain things.

I never considered a playing lesson. I always felt that my ball striking was not worthy of having a pro critique my game.

However, reading some of the posts I can see how having a pro observe your thought process, club selection and execution could be of great benefit.

I guess I consider my problems to be more execution than strategic; I could be mistaken.

What does a playing lesson tend to run in terms of cost?

What does a playing lesson tend to run in terms of cost?
For me, it is just a lesson option that is included in my package...short game lesson, swing work at the range, playing lesson...my guy usually asks me what I want to work on or he suggests we should spend time on the course and we go from there. My playing lessons typically start with the pro finding an open spot on the course and asking me to play a hole or shot. So I am not getting a full 9 or 18 holes in, maybe 3ish holes. Usually I start towards my bag to grab a club after the pro has asked me to play a hole. Inevitably, before I grab a club he asks "What are you thinking? And the learning starts from there.

it seems expensive at first , but for 4+ hours, its a deal
Was just about to say that. I thought wow that's a bit much but once you break it down into hours and what you actually get, it's a damn good deal.

It helped me, especially with other lessons, as my instructor knew how I played and my on course thoughts and behavior ... it helped beyond just that lesson.

it seems expensive at first , but for 4+ hours, its a deal

Butch Harmon charges thousands for playing lessons. David Ledbetter I believe is $2500. I'm a bargin and you'll shoot lower scores. Not in comparison to the other two mentioned but based on my skill set.

I just called my local pro, and He told mme he doesnt havw enough time to give playing lessons

I just called my local pro, and He told mme he doesnt havw enough time to give playing lessons

You'd think at a certain price he'd make time, but I guess some people don't see it that way.

You'd think at a certain price he'd make time, but I guess some people don't see it that way.
yeah I guess but I do think he is pretty busy, he manages the course, the restaurant, the proshop and is teaching. That's a lot for one guy

That pro needs to listen to more JayZ - "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man!"

yeah I guess but I do think he is pretty busy, he manages the course, the restaurant, the proshop and is teaching. That's a lot for one guy

He is not to busy, where there is a will there is a way. My days at the course where long when I worked in the industry. Sometimes they ran together.

I charge $200 for a full round of golf.

And I am sure you are worth every penny. But that is my whole golf budget for a month most months. So I have to wonder is it worth it to take a lesson that I can then do nothing with for another month? That's a legitimate question.

And I am sure you are worth every penny. But that is my whole golf budget for a month most months. So I have to wonder is it worth it to take a lesson that I can then do nothing with for another month? That's a legitimate question.

I think a playing lesson of done correctly can teach you more than a regular lesson. You get a different perspective on how to play certain shots. You get to see the course in a different light.

The knowledge passed along would keep you busy for the next month. No just swing tips but learning to think and play with the swing you have. Decision makinh skills, a new perspective on creativity around the course and maybe how to see yourself up to score better on the course.

I think a playing lesson of done correctly can teach you more than a regular lesson. You get a different perspective on how to play certain shots. You get to see the course in a different light.
In my experience this is 1000% correct.

I've had two recently and learned so much. My pro asks me to talk thru every shot and then he'll either like it or give me better advice. I've learned how to better align myself on the tee, pick targets on the fairway and better club selection inside 120yds. A 9i pitch shot is alot easier than a full swing gap wedge. Also reading greens slope and grain has been very helpful. Highly recommend it Neb!

Like the idea, alignment, club choice, shot choice. Sure I could learn plenty.

I had a great playing lesson tonight. In the past the pro has typically ridden with me and focused on my play. Tonight we both played 5 holes together. It was very interesting to be able to turn the tables and ask him what he was thinking, how he was playing the hole and why. It was also very enlightening to see his skill level and how he scored. So much more learning happened tonight over a range session.

Got my playing lesson scheduled for next Wednesday. I feel like my decision making is good, but I'm sure I'm in for an awakening when I have to justify things to my pro, and very excited to get his take on things. I'm planning on asking him for match play tips as well, and I believe he'll actually be playing with me, so can maybe get an actual match play game going as well, we'll see. Either way, I'm super excited for this.

After the playing lesson from the SeeMore guys on course last week at the THP event I highly recommend you look into this more. I will be adding this to my yearly prep now.

Back