Bio Cell vs Cleveland 588 vs Covert 2.0 Drivers

Karl

Reaction score
Handicap
I pretty much narrowed it down to these drivers. I am looking for a point and shoot driver with distance and accuracy. I also want super easy to hit and my swing is in development mode. Yes I will be getting fit but am looking for personal opinions on these. Any thoughts? (588 Custom or Altitude included). Thanks in advance.

588 will be the highest spinning of those from what I have seen and the 2.0 the lowest with the Bio somewhere in the middle (closer to the 588's IMO but the Altitude is a good bit higher spin). So it will all come back to what you need. The 2.0 is a marked improvement over the 1.0 IMO, just as the Bio is a large improvement over the Amp Cell before it in ball speed retention thanks to the improved E9 face.

To me, the Bio is the best of the three, but its because of what I want and need in a driver, lateral forgiveness, higher launch, and mid-ish spin. But, every swing has different needs.

Im similar to Jman, but thought the 588 Custom offered the same thing in terms of spin and forgiveness as the Bio Cell (at least for me). I thought it was more forgiving top to bottom as well. The Altitude is higher spinning, but in my opinion is the most forgiving of the lot laterally.

I prefer the Bio Cell, but I would consider cutting the shaft down a half inch or so.

Put me down as one that would take the Covert 2.0 over the others. Non-Tour that is. I thought it was very forgiving and easy to swing.

all great options, when I went to buy my driver it was a tie between the 588 custom and the covert 2.0, both great drivers, but I ended up with the 588 custom and I love it.

go and try them all, Ideally on an outside range, and pick the one you prefer from there

For me it was down to the 2.0, Bio Cell & X2 Hot and ended up with 2.0 and at first struggling with it I put in a few range sessions and it helped me figure it out and been very happy with my last two rounds 10/14 FIR and 11/14 mostly straight or baby fades but I did add a 1/2 inch to it and got a bigger grip.

Never hit the 588. Hit the Bio and 2.0 just a few swings each on the range. Would be Bio for me out of those two. Bio felt MUCH better to me and seemed easier to hit. Small sample size though.

I love the Covert 2.0. It really is a lot different than the original, in a good way. Having said that, I went in to buy the Covert 2.0 and walked out with the Callaway X2 Hot driver...easiest hitting driver I've ever swung. The Bio Cell is a fun club too...very easy to swing. Still, if I had to choose from your list, I'd probably choose the Covert 2.0. Plenty forgiving with a but more get up there performance in my limited experience with the other models.

Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Thnks a lot to all. I have tried the 2.0 and x2 hot and liked them both. The 588s and x2 hot are on sale here in Canada which also helps them.

Definitely hit all three. I noticed that with the Covert 2.0, I really had to loft up to that 10.5-11.5 number to get solid results. Too low and I was hitting low running knuckeballs that ran like hell. That may be awesome in firm conditions but on soft, sometimes wet turf, that doesn't go anywhere. Too high and it was just getting tossed around by any sort of wind even with as low spinning as the head is.

Talking about the Tour Wardy?

I've hit the bio cell and the 2.0 and in the end the Bio cell was what fit me better. Seemed to be more forgiving to me, for my swing at least. I liked the 2.0 but it was either a great shot or a horrible one, where as the bio cell even if i didn't make the best contact it still had the forgiveness to make it a not so horrible shot. just my 2 cents

Went to a TM demo day today and hit the sldr driver and mini driver. Driver was ok but I would need to get fitted and rubber tees were too high. The mini was easily longer and more accurate than my current driver. Still gonna try the drivers in this thread this weekend in the city.

I gamed the 2.0 for quite some time and I really liked it. Like someone else mentioned, I had to loft up to 11.5.

I now have the Bio Cell and it is alot more forgiving laterally. Distance has been about the same as the 2.0, and I think the Bio Cell feels better. Both are exceptional drivers and I have much more time with the Covert, but from the small sampling size, I think the Bio Cell will be more point and shoot for me.

You all are talking the Tour 2.0 though with this low launching talk, right? I didn't find that to be the case with the non-tour version.

Bio Cell vs Cleveland 588 vs Covert 2.0 Drivers

You'll just have to go and do an extended comparison. I just bought a 588 altitude and find it very easy to hit. At the store, the longest for me was the bio cell+ but it wasn't the most forgiving.

The 588 altitude, big bertha, and adams xtd were the easiest for me to hit consistently. Choice was made on price between them as they were all very close.

Only been on the course with it once so far and easy to hit remains the impression.

JB, hawk and jman have much more time with these clubs. Fwiw, my driver SS is 98-102 with occasional swings up to 105 when warm and loose. Typical flight is high, straight to baby draw.

Last edited:
Yea, it was a completely different club for me. I liked a lot about the Tour, but the normal one worked quite a bit better for me.

I have owned the 588 custom, bio cell, and covert 2.0. For my swing I really enjoyed the custom the best because the weight is much more in line with an old school bonded driver. The nike was like swinging a sledgehammer. The bio cell was good to but still heavier than my 588 custom which is what a kept. Good luck and enjoy your search for your next big stick.

Interesting Speedliner. My ss is pretty close to your maybe a hair slower. Are you using the stock stiff shaft. How are you liking it.

I have owned the 588 custom, bio cell, and covert 2.0. For my swing I really enjoyed the custom the best because the weight is much more in line with an old school bonded driver. The nike was like swinging a sledgehammer. The bio cell was good to but still heavier than my 588 custom which is what a kept. Good luck and enjoy your search for your next big stick.

How did you like the stock shaft?

Karl I think the red tie in the 588 custom shaft is adequate. It probably plays a quarter flex weaker but my swing speed is 94 and use a regular with great results. In my opinion the nike is also a quarter flex weaker and the bio cell is closest to true to flex. Bio cell shaft is much better than the amp cell from last year.

As far as custom vs altitude I don't feel the custom is for better players and the altitude for the higher handicap. You really need to see which works better for you. I find the custom extremely forgiving and the low weight perfect. The altitude is significantly lighter still at 270 grams overall weight. That might be great or not so great for your swing.

How did you like the stock shaft?

I didn't start this thread but thanks everyone for their input. Seemed like the BB and SLDR were the only drivers i had to look at, but with all the positive reviews on the 2.0 and the 588 i think i'll have to check those out too. I turned down all nike drivers with my past experience with them, but now they're back on the radar (i'm not a nike hater, look at the sig, but never liked the way their drivers sounded).

Tour and normal 2.0 both have their own sounds, but both are good imo. No old-Nike craziness.

Back