2014 US Open Contest & Thread - Awesome Prizes

I think the "natural" areas have brought a cool element to this year's Open. Maybe the course looks "messy" to the casual viewer, but I think it is a unique challenge for these guys.

So how does the USGA approach today's course set up with the scoring from yesterday and the amount of rain received last night. It will be another interesting day.

I think the "natural" areas have brought a cool element to this year's Open. Maybe the course looks "messy" to the casual viewer, but I think it is a unique challenge for these guys.

Bubba seems to like it (not really). I'm really enjoying watching the coverage - don't know how many hours I watched yesterday (DVR working overtime). I expect that my pick Martin Kaymer will take a tumble as usually happens to first round leaders. But he was able to go wire to wire at TPC and maybe he learned a lot in those final few holes after the rain delay final round TPC to make him handle this pressure more.

BTW, anyone see Fitzpatrick's caddy wearing those sandals. He was the guy who bashed Augusta National for not allowing him to wear 'em. Guess USGA doesn't care about those things.....

And you gotta love BFaxon's critique of PutterBoy's putting style ("stands too far away from the ball"....

putter_boy.jpg

GC reporting that hole #3 will b shortened today to make a potentially driveable hole (315 yds).....will cause problems in play says Noble and Flesch.

So how does the USGA approach today's course set up with the scoring from yesterday and the amount of rain received last night. It will be another interesting day.

I think they make it rather long for cut day. The greens will continue to be receptive (for Pinehurst standards) and scoring will be similar unless they make it longer IMO. DJ had wedges in hand on like the first 4 holes!

Pretty cool story on Fran Quinn, 19 years on the web.com tour, 49 years old, son on th bag, what a great thing this must be for both the dad and son.

Kaymer with a birdie on his first hole of the day, now with a 4 shot lead.

I think they make it rather long for cut day. The greens will continue to be receptive (for Pinehurst standards) and scoring will be similar unless they make it longer IMO. DJ had wedges in hand on like the first 4 holes!

I agree as well. By the looks of it this morning scoring conditions may be as similar. Anyone think the lack of the normal US Open rough vs the waste areas and bunkers takes away from what we normally see with US Open's?

Keegan's pre shot routine gets me every time. Wow.

I want to love the guy because he grew up in my area but damn... can you imagine playing behind him and a Na/Garcia combo when they were in their set-resetthe club primes?

I did not get any work done yesterday and i don't see me getting much done today. Few things i have noticed watching the first group, Kaymer has no equipment sponsor on his bag it seems, Bradley makes me nervous just watching him in his pre-swing routine, and i love how simple Dufner's swing is.

I agree as well. By the looks of it this morning scoring conditions may be as similar. Anyone think the lack of the normal US Open rough vs the waste areas and bunkers takes away from what we normally see with US Open's?

I kind of miss the carnage that ensues when they have to chop out of it but I'm hoping that the stuff will kick into action on Saturday and Sunday when the nerves are kicking a little lol. We haven't seen any horrid lies yet.

I remember playing Bethpage Black 4 days after the US Open and that rough was a beast.

There a more than enough places out there for those horrid lies to start happening.

Will make for an exciting weekend.

9am on espn again?

I remember playing Bethpage Black 4 days after the US Open and that rough was a beast.

There a more than enough places out there for those horrid lies to start happening.

Will make for an exciting weekend.

That mus have been tough but awesome at the same time lol, I love that course.

Lets go Bubba. -2 thru 4

Yep 9am coverage on ESPN

Kaymer, Martin
Johnson, Dustin
Na, Kevin
Fowler, Rickie
Mickelson, Phil
Reed, Patrick
Colsaerts, Nicolas
Garcia, Sergio
DeLaet, Graham
Every, Matt 122

I know it's early but my gosh Kaymer is going to be hard to beat...a 65 during the tough part of the day yesterday..already lowering his score-increasing his lead this morning....should have easier conditions this morning than he had yesterday. His highlight reel was insane yesterday.

If he puts anything under par on the card for todays round nobody will beat him....except him...it will take some meltdown holes on the weekend to get other guys in the running...

That's my prediction. Especially after the way he closed out the Players...the only person that can beat him will be himself.

Kaymer with a 4 shot lead.

Kaymer is fun to watch right now, just solid.

I know it's early but my gosh Kaymer is going to be hard to beat...a 65 during the tough part of the day yesterday..already lowering his score-increasing his lead this morning....should have easier conditions this morning than he had yesterday. His highlight reel was insane yesterday.

If he puts anything under par on the card for todays round nobody will beat him....except him...it will take some meltdown holes on the weekend to get other guys in the running...

That's my prediction. Especially after the way he closed out the Players...the only person that can beat him will be himself.

he is looking very sharp right now, and seems to have the speed of the greens

ooops spoke little too soon, looks like a tough lie in the bunker.

I miss DuffDaddys Afro.

Agreed. Although he may have just had his first miscue with his tee shot on 14 going into a fairway bunker. We'll see if it slows him down a bit.

I said before the tournament that this setup would play much easier than in 2005. The sandy waste areas are not too much trouble for the pros. It would give us amateurs fits, but no pt so much for them.

I stand by my original prediction that the winking score will be around -6 or so.

Friday.....

LIVE BROADCAST (TV)
ESPN 9:00 AM EDT - 3:00 PM EDT
NBC 3:00 PM EDT - 5:00 PM ED
ESPN 5:00 PM EDT - 7:00 PM EDT

LIVE VIDEO (Web, iPhone, iPad, Android)
Marquee Group 1
Dufner, Bradley, Kaymer
8:02 AM EDT

Marquee Group 2
Mickelson, Rose, Fitzpatrick (a)
1:36 PM EDT