2014 US Open Contest & Thread - Awesome Prizes

phil is in the trees

phil going the wrong way

I know anything can happen but Phil is on hrs verge of putting his way out of it.

Kevin Na make a run buddy!

Just turned it on. Kaymer is killing it again today.

Just tuned in, can't believe Kaymer is so far ahead

Why is ESPN doing a 10 minute studio chat in the middle of the round. #iwantgolf

Got a hypothetical question for you smart guys... right now there are approx 73 players at 5 over or better, 10 guys T63 at 5 over, so clearly 5 over would be the cut line...there are another approx 22 guys at 6 over which is T74...

So if those numbers moved around a bit...lets pretend today ends with 60 guys at 5 over or better, and another 30 guys at 6 over... which number would be the cut line? Would they take only 60 guys to the weekend, or would they take upwards of 100 guys..

I know they typically set the cutline at the best 70ish scores plus ties... if they had a huge logjam like I described, would they set a field with 10-15 fewer players than normal or would they go with 20+ more than normal?

I know there is a rule or policy that answers my question, I just don't know how it specifically reads

Why is ESPN doing a 10 minute studio chat in the middle of the round. #iwantgolf
I was about to write the exact same thing. What are they doing???

Phil is only making 2 out of 3 this year from 5 feet....that's no bueno

Got a hypothetical question for you smart guys... right now there are approx 73 players at 5 over or better, 10 guys T63 at 5 over, so clearly 5 over would be the cut line...there are another approx 22 guys at 6 over which is T74...

So if those numbers moved around a bit...lets pretend today ends with 60 guys at 5 over or better, and another 30 guys at 6 over... which number would be the cut line? Would they take only 60 guys to the weekend, or would they take upwards of 100 guys..

I know they typically set the cutline at the best 70ish scores plus ties... if they had a huge logjam like I described, would they set a field with 10-15 fewer players than normal or would they go with 20+ more than normal?

I know there is a rule or policy that answers my question, I just don't know how it specifically reads

Very interesting question. I think they would go with the 60. Given the fact it would be tough to get 90 around in twosomes with harder conditions and possible weather delays.

But that's just my guess.

US Open is top 60 and ties. If there are 20 guys tied for 60th, they would all make it. I don't think the US Open has a secondary cut, though.

Maggert shoots a 9 or 10 on a hole. Such a shame. He's a really nice guy. I played a pro-am with him at the Buick. Like a wind up doll. Every swing was identical.

just shows you that anyone (even the current leader) could blow-up and lose a lead in no time w/ this course

US Open is top 60 and ties. If there are 20 guys tied for 60th, they would all make it. I don't think the US Open has a secondary cut, though.

Thank you.... so I assume that they will under no circumstances take fewer than 60.... so in the situation I described 4 over would be the cut line and give a 62 player field... but there is such a logjam right above there that theoretically if some guys moved a bit the cut could move to 5 over and they could end up with 15-30 players on that number and end up with a ton more than 60 guys playing the weekend....

To me that is going to be interesting to watch as the day finishes...will 60ish guys play the weekend or will 90ish...hahaha

Completely off topic - Just found out that Kaymer lives in my buddy's building in Scottsdale. He saw Kaymer's golf bag at the valet a few weeks ago.

Fitzpatrick looks like he's 15, but he's got a hell of a swing, some serious SS for his size.

I had the chance to follow him for awhile at Arnie's tournament this past March.....hard to believe such a thin guy can hit the ball so far.

I would love to see one of these young guns (Spieth, Matsuyama or Fowler) get to 5 under and get in the final group tomorrow)

I had the chance to follow him for awhile at Arnie's tournament this past March.....hard to believe such a thin guy can hit the ball so far.

He's averaging 300+ this week.

Phil with another lip out bogey

I think this thing is far from over! USGA isn't going to have some one take it like that.

Kind of thought we'd see a little different Phil but really he is playing like he has all year.

Berman is such a gasbag. Said Spieth's shot sounded fat. And it was stuffed to about 10 feet.

Berman is such a gasbag. Said Spieth's shot sounded fat. And it was stuffed to about 10 feet.

I thought that was Curtis strange that said that.

Kuch looks like he may have a penalty coming his way

Back