2013 Srixon ZStar, ZStar XV, and ZStar SL Golf Ball

Right now Hawk I am trying to figure that out. It seems to me that I love the QStar off the tee and the fairway, but once I get to the green I like the feel and what the Zstar does. Is there like a in between ball that provides forgiveness but is awesome around the green and will have some spin??
Are the CG/Srixon MC'rs scouting out a ball of choice? If so, what are you leaning towards? I suspect we'll see something new from them this year, but likely not a Z-Star type ball (based on their typical release cycles). Probably a Q or Soft-Feel reboot.

As of now, it's Z-Star in Tour Yellow for me. The same ball I played in 2012. Tons of comfort with that one.

Z Stars all the way for me Hawk. Does exactly what the other balls do that I play, maybe even a bit further off the clubface and less spiny which I really like. I can finish 18 holes and it looks just as good as when I started.

Nice. Great feeling ball too. Less spinny in which way? For me they are very spinny off a wedge.

Right now Hawk I am trying to figure that out. It seems to me that I love the QStar off the tee and the fairway, but once I get to the green I like the feel and what the Zstar does. Is there like a in between ball that provides forgiveness but is awesome around the green and will have some spin??

The closest thing would be the Z-Star SL, but keep in mind that it is a urethane covered ball and the Q-Star is a surlyn covered ball. Urethane will help around the greens with spin, however if you like the surlyn ball off the tee, the urethane will not perform the same way.

Most amateurs dont put a ton of spin on the ball around the green, so one way to counteract that is controlling the stopping through trajectory and technique.

Nice. Great feeling ball too. Less spinny in which way? For me they are very spinny off a wedge.

I was coming off the Callaway Black and the Hex + and those balls were spinning off the greens for me, I'm talking 10-15 feet of spin backwards. The Hex + was the worst (spinny). Then switching to the Z Star those same shots were stopping or maybe coming back a foot or two. Much better spin for me which helps in my distance planning.

SL was definitely well liked.

I was coming off the Callaway Black and the Hex + and those balls were spinning off the greens for me, I'm talking 10-15 feet of spin backwards. The Hex + was the worst (spinny). Then switching to the Z Star those same shots were stopping or maybe coming back a foot or two. Much better spin for me which helps in my distance planning.

Very nice. Nobody needs a ball flying backwards on the greens. You going white or yellow?

Very nice. Nobody needs a ball flying backwards on the greens. You going white or yellow?

Probably stick with the white for the spring/summer although next fall/winter will be playing the yellow. With the dormant grass here it's just so much easier to pick up off the tee and in the grass. You??

Well when I am in the sand/chipping/ or 30-40 off I can get some checking with the ZStar but not much with the Qstar. And right now they don't make the SL anymore do they JB?? Also I have gotten my Cleveland 60° DSG working with flop shots where I mostly get it to stop or check with the Zstar and seems like the Qstar will kinda do a roll out. Defiantly not blaming the balls because my swing isn't perfection but when I have a clean awesome shot where I know I should have spin and then it drops and rolls off that just ticks me off. I did that Srixon Ball fitting and was told to play with the Zstar's.
The closest thing would be the Z-Star SL, but keep in mind that it is a urethane covered ball and the Q-Star is a surlyn covered ball. Urethane will help around the greens with spin, however if you like the surlyn ball off the tee, the urethane will not perform the same way.

Most amateurs dont put a ton of spin on the ball around the green, so one way to counteract that is controlling the stopping through trajectory and technique.

Probably stick with the white for the spring/summer although next fall/winter will be playing the yellow. With the dormant grass here it's just so much easier to pick up off the tee and in the grass. You??

LOL. I actually do the opposite. Once the leaves hit the ground I can't find the yellow balls worth a darn. I'll be going Tour Yellow for the MC though.

Well when I am in the sand/chipping/ or 30-40 off I can get some checking with the ZStar but not much with the Qstar. And right now they don't make the SL anymore do they JB?? Also I have gotten my Cleveland 60° DSG working with flop shots where I mostly get it to stop or check with the Zstar and seems like the Qstar will kinda do a roll out. Defiantly not blaming the balls because my swing isn't perfection but when I have a clean awesome shot where I know I should have spin and then it drops and rolls off that just ticks me off. I did that Srixon Ball fitting and was told to play with the Zstar's.

I think you need to expect and plan for that roll if you're playing the Q. It's not made to spin, so you have to adjust for it. If you can do that, you'll get a little better distance control.

Defiantly Hawk!! So does anyonoe know of any places has the SL's for a good price so I could try some out?

Are the CG/Srixon MC'rs scouting out a ball of choice? If so, what are you leaning towards? I suspect we'll see something new from them this year, but likely not a Z-Star type ball (based on their typical release cycles). Probably a Q or Soft-Feel reboot.

As of now, it's Z-Star in Tour Yellow for me. The same ball I played in 2012. Tons of comfort with that one.
I've played predominantly Q and Z Stars this spring in preparation for the MC. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something missing for me with the Q Star. My swing speed is on the border of the range between the Z and the XV, but I'm trying to work on tempo and slowing down, so if I had to pick one right now, regular Z-Star in Tour Yellow.

I'd probably just look online. Amazon or eBay

I've played predominantly Q and Z Stars this spring in preparation for the MC. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something missing for me with the Q Star. My swing speed is on the border of the range between the Z and the XV, but I'm trying to work on tempo and slowing down, so if I had to pick one right now, regular Z-Star in Tour Yellow.

Not a huge fan of the Q either for some reason.

I think I am getting the same feel as you Pete. I am in between with those two right now.

I am on Hawk!!!
I'd probably just look online. Amazon or eBay

Never tried the Q Star, but tried the XV a few weeks ago. I'm pretty long off the tee, and this ball really did well there, but felt hard on iron shots and couldn't get a feel for it. Played the Z Star tour yellow the last couple rounds and loved it. Soft feel, good hop and stop on the greens, and even though its not as long off the tee as XV, I'll trade that for the great feel. Been looking to put another ball in rotation with my TP3s, and I think this will be the one. Gonna go with tour yellow since I hear its more durable than white.

I've predominantly played the Q Stars in Tour Yellow, but after playing some 2012 Z Stars I have to say I'm leaning towards them for the MC. I want to have more experience between the Z and the XV before I decide though.

I played the Z-Star exclusively yesterday. Tough to make any concrete statements because the wind was so ridiculous, but I came away feeling like I've always felt about it. Nice feel for a Tour ball and it was easy enough to control distance with a good wedge strike. Played the same ball for 18 holes, plus short game practice, plus a few holes the round before. Still in good shape.

I played the ZStar Saturday 17.5 holes because I lost the first ball in the grass off the fairway. Got great distances and great feel around the green. Even had some cart path rash on the ball but it still performed great. Last nice I was wondering what the ZStar XV would be like compared to the regular, but I think my swing speed is to low for that. Right Now I am going to stick with the Zstar..

Time to hunt down some Z-stars to spend some more time with. Not gonna lie, dont have much experience playing Srixon balls. Ive tried the Q-stars on a few occasions but they didnt do anything for me. Thinking the Z-star may do the trick.

I can't see a reason you wouldn't like them dude. It's a great ball. Just buy a dozen used or something. I saw good prices out there on eBay.

I can't see a reason you wouldn't like them dude. It's a great ball. Just buy a dozen used or something. I saw good prices out there on eBay.

Yeah thats what I'll end up doing, been tinkering around with a mix of balls so far this year and getting a feel for whats out there.

Time to focus on just the MC now

In April it seemed like a few of us had a ball picked out. How about now? Played any of them recently and what are you thinking?

Nothing has changed here. I've moved to the Z-Star pretty much every round for awhile now. A few times with other balls, either for testing or just to mix it up. I really, really hate guesstimations on the course, but the last time I compared the Duo to the Z-Star off the tee I felt like the Z-Star was longer for me.

In April it seemed like a few of us had a ball picked out. How about now? Played any of them recently and what are you thinking?

Nothing has changed here. I've moved to the Z-Star pretty much every round for awhile now. A few times with other balls, either for testing or just to mix it up. I really, really hate guesstimations on the course, but the last time I compared the Duo to the Z-Star off the tee I felt like the Z-Star was longer for me.

I think its Z-star or bust for me.

I have an XV and liked it on the greens and despite what my brother says I dont think my wimpy swing speed does it justice

I have been using the B330 for the past month or so and while I have gained a bit of distance off the tee, I feel like it doesn't spin as much as the Z Star XV around the greens.

Back