2014 U.S. Women's Open (SPOILERS)

Laura Davis +12

Believe it or not, that should be Dame Laura Davies now. I wonder if she'll do a Faldo and have it stitched onto her bag. Hopefully she doesn't.

I'm actually more interested in this than I might have been for the men's.

I usually am more interested in the ladies golf.

Would be nice to see a Lewis and Wie Battle Sunday--still another tough day to battle through before that though.

A few names that I recognize.....funny that Li actually scored as well or nearly as well as some of the top golfers on the tour.
Creamer even
Lexi Thompson +1
Inkster +1
Sandra Gal +4
Cheyenne Woods +8
Lizette Salas +8
Suzanne Peterson +8
Jessica Korda +9
Gulbis+9
Laura Davis +12

I found this somewhat comical and amazing at the same time. Everyone is questioning whether an 11 year old should be playing and she posts a round equal/better than some noteable names -- Woods, Salas, Peterson, Gulbis, and Big Break alum Sadena Parks (+8). Who knows what today will bring, saw that she was already on the course hitting balls at 9 AM and doesn't tee off until around 12 PM...all the makings of a long day in the heat and she may fade late today...

Perhaps she'll be invited to play on the next Big Break?? HA!!!!

I found this somewhat comical and amazing at the same time. Everyone is questioning whether an 11 year old should be playing and she posts a round equal/better than some noteable names -- Woods, Salas, Peterson, Gulbis, and Big Break alum Sadena Parks (+8). Who knows what today will bring, saw that she was already on the course hitting balls at 9 AM and doesn't tee off until around 12 PM...all the makings of a long day in the heat and she may fade late today...

Perhaps she'll be invited to play on the next Big Break?? HA!!!!

It isn't about this weekends' results. It's about the long term effects of a child playing at this level with women. We've seen precocious tennis players have their lives screwed up by turning pro early. There's really no knowing the effects on the young girl - she seems to be doing well with the press and with the pressure of playing a tough course.

Early second round results: looks like Wie had a decent day.....

POSPLAYERTO PARTHRUTODAY
1WIE, Michelle-4F*-2
2LEWIS, Stacy-31:47p
T3KIRK, Katherine-11:14p
T3RYU, So Yeon-11:47p*
T5LEE, Minjee (a)EF+1
T5YANG, AmyEF*-1
T5WEBB, KarrieE1:47p*

Another solid round by Wie has her at -4 heading into the weekend.

One of three under par.

Projected cut is +9

Projected cut is +9

ESPN is projecting the cut at +6. I like +9 better just so that Li has a better chance of making the cut. I guess I'm just rooting for her to do well because nobody is really expecting her to do well. Wie at -4 after 2 rounds so she's looking really good. I haven't been able to actually watch any of it so far. I'll have to live vicariously through this thread.

Yea, I caught a little last night, but rely on replays (which there weren't any).

Will be interesting to see if Lewis responds to Wie's good showing today.

ESPN is projecting the cut at +6. I like +9 better just so that Li has a better chance of making the cut. I guess I'm just rooting for her to do well because nobody is really expecting her to do well. Wie at -4 after 2 rounds so she's looking really good. I haven't been able to actually watch any of it so far. I'll have to live vicariously through this thread.

ESPN are probably giving the current cut line. USGA uses data for expected scores of holes yet to play to get their projected cut line. It's interesting stuff.

Wie putting....... WTF. Ill never understand how that works.

Yea, I caught a little last night, but rely on replays (which there weren't any).

Will be interesting to see if Lewis responds to Wie's good showing today.

My guess is Stacy puts up a -1/-2 round. I'm a fan of Lewis and Wie going into the weekend, that's a heck of a pairing.

My guess is Stacy puts up a -1/-2 round. I'm a fan of Lewis and Wie going into the weekend, that's a heck of a pairing.

Yea it would. I'm not a huge Lewis fan, but the matchup would make for a good finish if its tight.

And Lewis bogeys the first. Not a good start after a solid round by Wie.

Yea it would. I'm not a huge Lewis fan, but the matchup would make for a good finish if its tight.

I kept thinking this was a Solheim cup year but that's 2015. Good practice for next year regardless

Similar to Lexi and Wie in the final group for the Kraft - potentially having Stacy and Wie in the final group even for just part of the weekend will be a nice boost for the LPGA.

Similar to Lexi and Wie in the final group for the Kraft - potentially having Stacy and Wie in the final group even for just part of the weekend will be a nice boost for the LPGA.

Exactly. The LPGA has really had a great year in terms of their stars just showing up to play. They need to glue Michael Whan to that commissioner chair and not let him leave for a serious amount of time.

Yea he's done a very good job in a short time. Doesn't hurt to have some young marketable players either.

I've had a ton of respect for Stacy Lewis every since hearing about her battles with scoliosis. Hope she continues the strong play.

Nike needs to do an "I'm back" ad with Michelle Wie and mimic these two. :banana:

or

Can't believe how many ladies are around the +10 number. Lots of big names aren't making the cut

I bet the fans following the Petterson group learned some new Swedish cuss words. Gotta be one of her worst outings in several years.

Li is ahead of 28 (or something like that) other golfers right now. She's getting a heck of a lot of air time on ESPN - nearly every shot seems to be shown. Kaymer's countrywoman Gal is on the first page of the leaderboard. Would be a good story if two Germans won the US Opens.......

Drives have been 230-235 yds per commentators for Li.

Last edited:
Back