Aussie Dave

Hacker From OZ
Reaction score
Handicap
GA 15
I use a 13.5* X Hot shortened to 44" does anyone see an advantage of me switching to a Mini Driver.

Only one way to find out. Plenty of deals to be had on Callaway's Deep series.

Only one way to find out. Plenty of deals to be had on Callaway's Deep series.
the deeps and the x2hot are on a crazy deal right now! $135 new!

As a driver replacement? No. I see no real benefit for an amateur to forgo a driver and put in a club with a smaller face.

I haven't gamed a driver for 2 seasons now I recently just took advantage of the 25% from Golfsmith and picked up the X2 Hot 2 deep when I was hitting in the bay I was seeing 235-247 carry distance with total distances averaging out to 245-260 I put in play this weekend and hit 9/14 fairways with the shortest being 215 and longest 255 in the fairway I have the stock stiff offering from Adila

I didn't play a driver for about 2 weeks after getting the mini driver and was happy without the driver. Mini was easy to hit off the tee, could work it both ways and was reasonable distance in comparison to my driver. However, I had such great success with the mini, I ordered a couple of the 3w shafts that were similar to the shaft in my mini and put them into some drivers I have and had great success with those now also. So I am keeping my driver with the 43.5" 3w shaft in the bag along with the mini, 3w 17* then 4i on down. If you have room in the bag, maybe play both like I am? Driver for longer wide open holes and mini for shorter or tighter holes.

As a driver replacement? No. I see no real benefit for an amateur to forgo a driver and put in a club with a smaller face.
I dare say the success people are seeing is due to definitely shorter shaft. I (I assume many others) am more consistent with 3w than driver even though much smaller head and face.

I'm waiting on my SLDR Mini to arrive at the club. I wanted it because I frequently tee off with my 3W and wanted to get a club that would be an improvement over that off the tee but not a full driver. I don't always need full driver length off the tee and frequently need to hit tight, precise shoots off the tee. Using the 3W off the tee has shaved strokes off my rounds, hoping the mini will shave even more.

As a driver replacement i don't think you would gain much you would also be losing forgiveness i play one as a distance control club off the tee

Lol! A Mimi Driver! These golf companies are incredible. Just think of the mini driver as a driver from yesteryear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?
Hitting a shorter shaft, higher loft, which decreases sidespin. Hits like a 3W that almost all "amateurs hit better than a driver.

I don't know, I had a strong 3 13* loft that I was using for the better half of last summer because the driver and I were in a tiff, and that thing had a shallow face. I could see a lot of people benefitting from a shorter shaft, deeper face, and higher loft.

That said, perhaps those same people could just get a higher lofted driver and cut down the shaft a couple of inches...

Mini Drivers

Really?
Hitting a shorter shaft, higher loft, which decreases sidespin. Hits like a 3W that almost all "amateurs hit better than a driver.

Fwiw. I have yet to play with anybody who hits their 3wood better than their driver.

Cut the driver shaft shorter than stock. Get a higher lofted driver. Work on the swing fault. The driver will go farther than the mini.

Fwiw. I have yet to play with anybody who hits their 3wood better than their driver.

Cut the driver shaft shorter than stock. Get a higher lofted driver. Work on the swing fault. The driver will go farther than the mini.

Pretty much my take on it the more I think about it all.

I want to hit the mini, I was off/on with the 3deep last year, but the more I think on it if its going to be a tee only club for me like it would be it makes more sense to simple take another driver down to 42-43" and get the swingweight back to where it needs to be. Bigger sweetspot, more controllable length, easier to be repeatable with.

Thats my take on it at least, but we're all different as I know some still want the deck option, I don't.

Pretty much my take on it the more I think about it all.

I want to hit the mini, I was off/on with the 3deep last year, but the more I think on it if its going to be a tee only club for me like it would be it makes more sense to simple take another driver down to 42-43" and get the swingweight back to where it needs to be. Bigger sweetspot, more controllable length, easier to be repeatable with.

Thats my take on it at least, but we're all different as I know some still want the deck option, I don't.

What's crazy, the 913fd that I play is a meaty 3w. It's not SLDR Mini size, but big. As good as I play that off the tea, I have yet to consider removing my driver.

Ive been playing for awhile and see it constantly. Most aint taking lessons they just go play. And yes it will out distance a driver when you can't make solid contact with the longer shaft for whatever reason, fat, topping, toe hits. They hit the 3w better.
Yes all thing equal the driver will go longer but the human element will contradict that

i tried the mini sldr last week. i like my driver better, but now we have a perfect mini sldr for sale!!

Think you have to define what hitting something better is. I would think theoretically everyone should hit the 3w better off the tee, shorter length, higher loft. Wouldn't that mean less side spin on shots and shorter length so a mishit would still be in play hopefully vs a driver mishit that wouldn't be? Have played with plenty of people or watched them hit 3w off the tee over the driver as they don't hit driver well. IMO if you can't hit a shorter length higher lofted club off a tee any better then a 2-3" longer less lofted club they have other issues they need to work on, as I find a 3w much easier to control off the tee.

Thanks for all the comments I think I will stick with my X Hot 13.5*HT shortened to 44" I thought I might be able to use the Mini Driver off the tee and the deck as I dont use a fairway wood anymore I go straight to the 3 Hyron as I was getting near the same distance as I was with my 4 wood that was shortened 1".

I switched to the Ping Rapture 13 degree (I have it set at 12.5) this year as even with lessons, I have generally been unable to hit a driver with length or consistency. I was out on the range with it last night, and I can consistently hit it 260+ and very very straight, and on the course it is very rare that I'm out driven by more than 5-10 yards and in most cases I'm drawing even. I can tell you that I'm sticking with this club, it is just too long and too accurate not to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can slice da poop out of my driver but I get low penetrating straight flight with my callaway 3deep...

Mentioned this in the pondering thread the other day, but I'm going to do something post MC kind of on some of the convo we had in here. Last weekend I hit my wifes Amp Cell a couple times at 14*, my thought was the AC and Bio ladies heads are cheap so why not grab one, set it to 14*, put a different shaft in, set it up to 42.5-43", swing weight it properly, and have a full sized mini driver. After all, if I'm wanting a club that I'm only going to use off the tee and not the deck then why not?

Also, the ladies AC and Bio heads are tested at the same speeds the men's heads are, 130 MPH IIRC.

I use a 13.5* X Hot shortened to 44" does anyone see an advantage of me switching to a Mini Driver.

I'm at 42.25 inches in my 14.5 degree X2 Hot 3 Deep and love it on short par 4's and muse hit fairway par 5's. Great club. Smaller heads means less twisting = less trouble.

Back