Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

USA should have megaton and lebron.

Then the rest of the team would be guys from the SEC

I wouldnt even think its remotely close to the 5th or 6th best.
Something tells me half the NBA could be incredible soccer players.
They already flop like them.
Crazy fast. Disciplined.
Think Calvin Johnson would make a decent keeper? His wing span is ridiculous.

Obviously I am simplifying, and it will never happen, but I will agree with Tosh on this one.

I don't think that's even close to being true. Football requires a totally different athletic skill set than basketball or your football that is played with hands...
Not to mention that the team and strategic aspect is a lot more important and none of the crazy NBA Athletes could provide the intelligence needed.

I wonder if that were the case if the US had a top tier soccer player on their squad -- and I mean like... top 3-5 in the world.

The MLS is pretty brutal to watch, but I'll sit down and watch a Barcelona game any day. It's probably 10x more entertaining based on skill alone.

Not sure it would matter to me as I couldn't name 5 soccer players in the world.

I'm watching though. I am trying to get in to it. It's tough though because I know nobody and it feels like it's been going on for 2 weeks and this is only the 2nd game for the US.

How soon before all of the other sports have companies printed on their jerseys. The Miami Heat jerseys could say Aon on the front like the soccer teams.
Quick fact.
Aon is the 2nd largest insurance broker in the world (Marsh and Willis up there too).
It was made up of 4 different brokers that merged and the CEO (Pat Ryan) named the new firm Aon, after a Gaelic term meaning unity I believe. They are huge into this sport.

And yes, sadly I knew all of that already.

I don't think that's even close to being true. Football requires a totally different athletic skill set than basketball or your football that is played with hands...
Not to mention that the team and strategic aspect is a lot more important and none of the crazy NBA Athletes could provide the intelligence needed.

Im not discounting the sport or saying that they could jump in now.
Im saying that the ahtletes are the best in the world (in my opinion) and if they had grown up on the sport instead of the more popular in this country, they would excell.

And FWIW, that intelligence comment is not even close to being accurate.

The national teams don't have sponsors on the front of the shirt.

Ughh 4 on 3 and bad pass ends that

Not sure it would matter to me as I couldn't name 5 soccer players in the world.

I'm watching though. I am trying to get in to it. It's tough though because I know nobody and it feels like it's been going on for 2 weeks and this is only the 2nd game for the US.

It's about being wow'ed for me. Seeing a guy doing something almost unexplainable, like we see in a guy like megatron or lebron (as examples).

It's about being wow'ed for me. Seeing a guy doing something almost unexplainable, like we see in a guy like megatron or lebron (as examples).

I do get wowd by some of the goals. Some of those long crosses that a guy will head in to the goal are awesome. I appreciate the sport but it's just a hard watch for me.

One more not so fun fact about Aon.
They were located in the towers that were hit at 9/11.
One of their main offices anyway. Due to where the planes hit, the original talk had some thinking they were targeted.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Wow what a wasted chance

Holy cow how did they not make a goal.... jeeeze

Bradley had to smash that

One more not so fun fact about Aon.
They were located in the towers that were hit at 9/11.
One of their main offices anyway. Due to where the planes hit, the original talk had some thinking they were targeted.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

You are making the soccer thread even more boring. Be proud hehe

Bradley really blew that. Had the whole goal and kicked it right at the defender.

Wow renaldo with the shank

Goallllllll!!!!!

Gooooooooaaaaaaalllll

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooom

Sensational!!!!

Booooommmmm! Golazooooooo!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOal!!!!

What a laser that was

Back