Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

One of them was Cameron...in his defense, lazy and sloppy soccer is all he is capable of.

When 10 people on the field were in lazy mode, he fit in just fine. I can't even say Howard was out of position because he really wasn't. Dude's crashing the 8yd box on a perfect ball, you're pretty much screwed. It was either going in center or right side of the net.

I'm more upset at Bradley losing the ball in the midfield. He is experienced enough to know that if you think you might lose the ball and be caught on the break, YOU GET THAT BALL AWAY. No excuses for him.

Bradley.. That guy. Don't even get me started. Nice freakin touch for the equalizer you idiot. Hit it a little harder right at the defender standing in the net.

I absolutely love the argument that because soccer is bigger world wide than the NFL, it must be better.
ITS PLAYED IN ALL OF THOSE COUNTRIES! OF COURSE ITS BIGGER!

Its cheap to play, so any 3rd world country can start it up.
It is not as if, the professional football (US version) can just be jumped into from Angola.

And the argument that because the NFL regular season has ties, its the same as soccer. Really? In the last 10+ years in the NFL, there have been I believe 3 ties total in the regular season.

Hahaha. There's so much here that I love. I'm arguing which one is better because I lie both games.

And I was at one of those ties. I had to watch Matt Flynn lead a second half rally to a cousin kissing.

Bradley.. That guy. Don't even get me started. Nice freakin touch for the equalizer you idiot. Hit it a little harder right at the defender standing in the net.
I give him the BOTD on that one. Hard to know where the defender went in the goal when you're trying to focus on the ball and creating your own space.

And the argument that because the NFL regular season has ties, its the same as soccer. Really? In the last 10+ years in the NFL, there have been I believe 3 ties total in the regular season.

I completely agree. Add in the fact that there's an overtime in the NFL where it provides time for 3-4 possessions to get someone to score (which is way easier than in soccer), there really isn't a direct comparison. Hockey pre-shoot out would be it for me and the fans heard them and changed. However, I think the rest of the soccer world doesn't really mind kissing their sister and it won't be changed right now. How incredibly intense would it be to have a 3 round PK shoot out to decide who gets 3 points and who gets 1 point (for ot loss)? I bet fans would love it.

How incredibly intense would it be to have a 3 round PK shoot out to decide who gets 3 points and who gets 1 point (for ot loss)? I bet fans would love it.

What, every game where there's a draw? Most football fans would feel the same as me. Stupid idea!

What, every game where there's a draw? Most football fans would feel the same as me. Stupid idea!

Hey, it's just a fishing in the dark suggestion from someone that has no idea what a good idea is. You can have your opinion, but that's the thing though, there wouldn't be any draws. The winner of the shoot out would get 3 points (typical win reward) and the loser would get 1 point (point awarded for draws now).

I completely agree. Add in the fact that there's an overtime in the NFL where it provides time for 3-4 possessions to get someone to score (which is way easier than in soccer), there really isn't a direct comparison. Hockey pre-shoot out would be it for me and the fans heard them and changed. However, I think the rest of the soccer world doesn't really mind kissing their sister and it won't be changed right now. How incredibly intense would it be to have a 3 round PK shoot out to decide who gets 3 points and who gets 1 point (for ot loss)? I bet fans would love it.
No. I would hate it. The beauty of the point system is that it isn't based on records. Portugal had the incentive to go and tie the game because 1 point is better than 0. After running 13 miles in 90 minutes, it's also normally in the best interest of the players. I think the lack of an OT shows who the best teams are in the course of a 3 game series between 4 teams. In European Soccer, this would be 38-40 games between 20-22 teams. No playoffs, no OT. Who is the best team over the course of this period of time?

Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

Hey, it's just a fishing in the dark suggestion from someone that has no idea what a good idea is. You can have your opinion, but that's the thing though, there wouldn't be any draws. The winner of the shoot out would get 3 points (typical win reward) and the loser would get 1 point (point awarded for draws now).

Once the group stage is over (each team plays one more game in the group stage), then it's gets to the knockout phase where there are no draws and your penalty idea comes into play, although it's best of 5 rather than 3, then sudden death.

* if you hate draws in football, don't ever get into cricket where matches can last 5 days and end in a draw.

Once the group stage is over (each team plays one more game in the group stage), then it's gets to the knockout phase where there are no draws and your penalty idea comes into play, although it's best of 5 rather than 3, then sudden death.

Yes, I understand this. But why should it be any different between group play and elimination play?

Yes, I understand this. But why should it be any different between group play and elimination play?

Because if the there were penalty shoot outs every weekend during the regular season, the NHS would probably implode LOL.

Because Group Play should decide who are the best 2 teams of a group of 4. Elimination determines who is better team of 2.

Because Group Play should decide who are the best 2 teams of a group of 4. Elimination determines who is better team of 2.

Right, group play gets us the best 16 teams out of the 32 in the event, 2 from each of the 8 groups. So each game in group play shouldn't decide who the best team is of the 2 teams on the pitch? That is the point of all other sports....

Right, group play gets us the best 16 teams out of the 32 in the event, 2 from each of the 8 groups. So each game in group play shouldn't decide who the best team is of the 2 teams on the pitch? That is the point of all other sports....
No they do. Every game matters. That's why each point counts, each goal counts. One point or one goal over 3 games can decide whether you advance or not.

That is the point of all other sports....

But all other sports pale into insignificance compared to football. It isn't called the beautiful game for nothing ;)

No they do. Every game matters. That's why each point counts, each goal counts. One point or one goal over 3 games can decide whether you advance or not.

So the goal differential, in your opinion, is a better indicator [than no draws scenario] of the better team when they have the same points in group play? I can appreciate that, keeps teams fighting when they are down and all sorts of other things.

So the goal differential, in your opinion, is a better indicator [than no draws scenario] of the better team when they have the same points in group play? I can appreciate that, keeps teams fighting when they are down and all sorts of other things.
Yeah. I do. If your team loses to any team by a large margin, you shouldn't progress.

For those who haven't seen one, penalty shoot outs in soccer are a very different proposition than those in hockey. Hockey penalty shots are successful maybe 40-50% of the time. Soccer penalty shots are successful 80-90%.

Penalty shoot outs are a necessary evil in the knockout stage, but only after teams play 30 more minutes. The really are almost dumb luck though and I don't think anyone argues that they identify the best team.

For those who haven't seen one, penalty shoot outs in soccer are a very different proposition than those in hockey. Hockey penalty shots are successful maybe 40-50% of the time. Soccer penalty shots are successful 80-90%.

Penalty shoot outs are a necessary evil in the knockout stage, but only after teams play 30 more minutes. The really are almost dumb luck though and I don't think anyone argues that they identify the best team.

So couldn't you move the shot back?

Yeah. I do. If your team loses to any team by a large margin, you shouldn't progress.

Right and it doesn't have to end there and let 1 game decide all your fate. Win the other 2 games and getting 6 points and advancing (potentially) that way and prove it was a fluke, like Spain could have done but didn't. I look at score differential as a large indicator of a good team, most notably in baseball.

So couldn't you move the shot back?

Not without making it a completely different element that has no basis in the rest of the game.

The penalty shoot outs are from exactly the same spot as if a guy gets fouled in the 18 yard box during the game.

Moving it out would be like playing HORSE to settle the NBA Finals.

Not without making it a completely different element that has no basis in the rest of the game.

The penalty shoot outs are from exactly the same spot as if a guy gets fouled in the 18 yard box during the game.

Moving it out would be like playing HORSE to settle the NBA Finals.

As a basketball fan, I'd take horse over a tie.

I don't know why I am part of this conversation, I won't watch more than 1hr per year either way. Soccer rules just don't register with me, probably never will.

I guess on a side note I'd like to say that FIFA is an entity that cares absolutely ZERO about what would make the game better on American TV. I mean they consider lasers across the goal line to make sure the ball went all the way across to be utterly revolutionary.

I guess on a side note I'd like to say that FIFA is an entity that cares absolutely ZERO about what would make the game better on American TV. I mean they consider lasers across the goal line to make sure the ball went all the way across to be utterly revolutionary.

This is very true. They couldn't care less about what we think because it isn't #1 like in 90% of other countries across the globe. JT made a great point about the goal differential as the tie breaker being very effective, and I sincerely agree with him there. Still doesn't mean that there is always a winner in each game, but other people have different beliefs of what it should be and I respect that. And let's be honest, having no draws would have next to 0 effect on American support of the sport (for those that don't).

Right and it doesn't have to end there and let 1 game decide all your fate. Win the other 2 games and getting 6 points and advancing (potentially) that way and prove it was a fluke, like Spain could have done but didn't. I look at score differential as a large indicator of a good team, most notably in baseball.
Yep. Like for example Portugal, they lost 4-0 to Germany. However, they have 2 more games to accumulate enough points to progress. If they don't progress because of GD, it will be because they weren't good enough that one game to progress.

Back