Wedge Setup and Why?

I have recently made a change to my wedge setup from a 50*, 56*, and 60* to what I feel is a better set up for me. I went to a 50*, 54*, and 58*, which in my open got me away from taking full swings with my wedges. Since that change my short game has been significantly improved.

This one is not about brands really, but in recent surveying, we noticed something. Most golfers are going with a 52, 56, and 60 degree wedge. Those that carry 3 wedges anyway. However most of the newer sets are seeing PW's more strong lofted.

I have been noticing a gap between my 52* and my PW, so I am thinking of changing up to a 50*, 54*, and 58* to lessen the gap being that my PW is 46*.

What is your wedge setup and do you fill all the gaps that you need to?

this is something i may need to address as well, like you i have a stronger lofted pw. I currently play rotex 52*/56* both with 10*bounce... the gap between my rocketbladez pw to 52* is large and becomes a problem in the 105-115 range... which es no bueno.

The rocketbladez aw is 50* and great!... but it puts me over my 14 club limit... and then there would be a huge gap between the aw and the sw... (if i threw out the 52*...

I finally have the top end of my bag figure out... but i think i'm making a huge mistake slighting myself in the wedges...

To me, less is more. I use my 42° Smart Sole C wedge and my 58° Smart Sole S wedge for all of my wedge needs. Despite the gap in lofts, the C is so versatile that it does everything I need that can allow for a little roll out. From green side chips to full swings from 100y out with one club, from any lie (including a tee box). The S is for the shots 55y and in that do not allow for much rollout if any. Short sided lies or tucked in pins that I have to go at or a carry over trouble to the green.

I have a PW, but that is only for full shots in the 110-120y range.

I have seen people I play with get lost in all the choices they carry with 4 or more wedges, and they never have any of them really mastered. I think the everyday hacker would be far better suited to just find two clubs they can really focus on, then add more options in after having that foundation laid.

I play 50, 54, 58 because it fills the full swing yardage gaps for my irons.

I've completely changed my wedges now that I have experiences success with the set GW. Right now what I have in the bag are the set PW (45.5*), GW (50.5*), 56* and 60*. Still considering dropping the 60* and my 52* is being tossed in and out of the bag as I decide on what works best.

Yea i'm trying to figure this out now to. Right now I'm at 44pw 49gw 56 then 60. #thpmc I'm thinking 44, 48, 52, 56/58??? Want a 60 for the sand since I use that now but I'm thinking a 56 58 will work fine. Hopefully tonight I'll really find out what I need.

Yea i'm trying to figure this out now to. Right now I'm at 44pw 49gw 56 then 60. #thpmc I'm thinking 44, 48, 52, 56/58??? Want a 60 for the sand since I use that now but I'm thinking a 56 58 will work fine. Hopefully tonight I'll really find out what I need.

why not just go 60 instead of 58?

I'm going 4° gaps like always. They will serve me well*

Bumping an old thread to talk wedge setups.

Historically Ive played 50/54/58
The last few months Ive played 52/56/60

What Ive noticed.

In the first setup I loved using my 54* from everywhere along with the 58* and then the 50 was hardly ever used.

In the 2nd setup pretty much the same thing happened, Im in LOVE with my PW and would rather hit a 3/4 of it than a full swing 52*

So Im pondering a setup that due to PW loft will give me an extra club to ponder on the other end of the bag.

thinking 49/53/57...with bounce gradually decreasing.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of setup or have any thoughts?
Yeah this is the setup I play with, PW at 48 then a 53 and then 57, I do have a 60 if I need it for a certain course, but I play driver three wood and 2 hybrids instead. Those lofts on wedges do work well for me, great yardages hit from them all

why not just go 60 instead of 58?
you think a 8* jump will be good. say I play with my 56* all over the place now basically 75 and in.

you think a 8* jump will be good. say I play with my 56* all over the place now basically 75 and in.

my bad I misread it, I thought you were going 48/52/56 and then 60 as well

Like a few others, I dropped a wedge recently. My set PW is 45 degrees to a 135 yardage, and I play a bent ATV to 50 for about a 122 full carry and a bent ATV to 55 for a 110 carry. I dropped the 60 in favor of carrying a 3 iron and a 5 wood. I just didn't use the 60 hardly ever and the ATV grind can be flipped open and scoot under a ball so easily that the 55 can mimic the 60 in nearly all situations and I use it for almost everything short. My last round I hit the PW twice, the gap wedge twice and the 55 thirteen times.

sign me up for 50/54/58. I love my 50 from 100 to 105 on full swings (its money) the other two or more specialty. When I leave an odd distance say 50 yards I have dialed in 58* so well. I use my 50* around the greens a ton for bump and runs as I get just a bit more bite than my PW. I will also use my 58* around the green as well with forced carries like bunkers as such. I only use my 54* from the sand and I find for some reason i tend to decel on chips around the green with it.

I currently have my wedges as PW 45 - AW 50 - SW 56 - LW 58.

As I type it I feel like it makes no sense though

PW - 150
AW - 125-130
SW - 100
LW 75

Those are all full swing distances. Thinking about switching out the AW that came with my irons to a more tradtional style wedge at 50* and also a new SW at 54*. I use my 58 around the greens and for short shots, but I almost never hit a full shot with it.

When i talked to my fitter, we talked about the pitching wedge gap, and we settled on a 52* bent to a 51, then a 56* and finally a 60*. i love it. the set up fits perfect to what i needed.

Thats great Ricky. Always nice to have something dialed in.

I'm going back to a true one wedge setup.

With my old irons (original AMP's) I used the GW for full swings, and was pretty darned deadly with it. It was my 110 club, so if I needed to lay up, I made the effort to do it to that yardage.

After getting the Apex irons, I got the set GW and went with 54° and 58° wedges in the Callaway dark chrome. After being able to try out an Apex SW..... well. it's in the bag now. I do like full swings with the set GW and SW, and have always practiced with a 58°-60° around the greens. So I am very comfortable with this setup, and I think it leaves me a lot less room for error. Which is my goal around the greens; to minimize errors that cost me strokes.

It's not what the better players do as far as my wedge setup..... but I'm not one of them either. :D

It is written. ..49/53/57

I use a four wedge system - I25 PW 46*, then Ping Tour 50/54/58*. The distances are 128/118/110/95. Thinking about tweaking the 54 to 55 and the 58 to 59. I had the 54 and 58 adjusted to heel grinds, stock 50 sole. I moved from a 52/56/60 combo, and seemed to be more consistent w the 60 out of the sand. Not sure if it is because of the current 58 heel grind.
I also miss not having a 100 yard, go-to club, but I am just spinning the heck out of the 54, so the results are pretty close.

I play 50,54 and 58 because of the strong pw I have. I love it because Im used to it

47° PW, 52° Gap, 57° Sand. I'm fairly good at distance control and this 5° gapping gives me plenty of options from anywhere inside 120 yards.

I was in PGASS the other day and had a chat with the club builder. He looked at me like I was crazy when I said I use a 48/54/60 setup, as if I was leaving sure strokes on the course by not going 48/52/56/60.

Nevermind that Zach Johnson and Steve Stricker, 2 of the best wedge players in the game, go 48/54/60.

Pitching Iron, gap wedge (52), and two sand wedges. One ground down Wilson for hard ground, wet traps, flop shots, and more and a Ping Zing 2 for medium to soft ground and dry sand.
4ugyzy6a.jpg
3e4yty2u.jpg
It's a bit hard to see the angle so I used the shoe for contrast.

My wedge set up is PW 47° (AP2 712) - 54°(11) - 60°(04). My opinion, according to my game and the course I play, is that yardage gap for wedge is irrelevant.

The most important for me is to have a wedge setup that fits to the course you usually play, possible lie conditions, and so on. I'm a big advocate of half swing, chocking down, etc. For instance, for a 100 m shot, I can use anything from 8i to 54°, according to lie, pin position, wind, etc.

Then, having a "sandwege" around 55° with decent bounce AND lobwedge with low bounce is the perfect combination. Another example, I'm able to make flop shot either with 54° or 60°, depending on the lie.

On top of this, my course is pretty long from the back tees (6'240m / around 6'850 yds) and I have to carry both 3i and 4i.

If I ever switch to Cally Apex as I think, I will probably reconsider my wedge setup a little bit but I don't think I'll go for a 4 wedges setup.

But once again, that's really personnal...

Back