SuperStroke Grips - Eliminate the Left

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So I spent some time last week talking to someone that deals with putter grips quite a bit about different items. The conversation turned to the SuperStroke and the popularity recently. He mentioned that while out on tour, the players were approached with the grip with the design to eliminate the left miss.

The reason that it was interesting is that he continued speaking about the average amateur miss not being left. The marketing has evolved from the company, and by next year they will have grips for all of the clubs. The question remains, if the goal is to remove the left and most amateurs dont miss left, should they be?

Or is it a trend that took off on tour, people like the feel a bit and jumped in and assume its working?

Interesting. My miss is right so that would be useless to me.

Interesting. My normal miss was always right.

Messing around with a putter with a heavier head lately, and all my misses are left now for some reason.

Now I have no idea which way I am going to miss. If a grip could help eliminate one of them, that would be awesome!

My miss was left until a recent fitting/lesson.

Guess I'm of the mindset that I want everything neutral with ME having the ability to control it without a preset direction of intention.

With the 2.0 and up sizes I really can see (and have experienced) the eliminate the left portion, that's why I ended up in the 1.0's. Same size diameter as most midsized putter grips but with no taper, because of that lack of taper I really enjoy the feel. Its a good grip for me, but I can't go above the 1.0 personally.

• Admin
With the 2.0 and up sizes I really can seen (and have experienced) the eliminate the left portion, that's why I ended up in the 1.0's. Same size diameter as most midsized putter grips but with no taper, because of that lack of taper I really enjoy the feel. Its a good grip for me, but I can't go above the 1.0 personally.

Question for you. Why does taper make a difference in the putting stroke, but none in the full swing? For you personally.

my miss has always been left. I picked up a bigger grip (initially a winn pistol then switching to SS 2.0) to help quiet my hands/wrists. while it has helped, my misses are purely related to a poor stroke and not the grip.

Interesting to see that they are brining grips to the other clubs, are they going to tout some sort of "fix" by using their grips?

Question for you. Why does taper make a difference in the putting stroke, but none in the full swing? For you personally.

As with most things grips for me, its all a feel and comfort thing. No more and no less really.

I will add though that I reduce the taper in my regular iron grips too by adding more tape under the right hand than the left. I just really like a lessened taper personally.

Before super stroke my miss was left. After my first super stroke my miss was right. Now with SeeMore and super stroke my miss is usually short but I can think of three birdie putts in my last round that all missed left no matter the break.

However, I attribute that to a lighter putter and not my grip. I much prefer a heavier putter.

On the last part though on the trend from tour or people like the feel and assume its working.

I think its both and one feeds the other to be honest. The more they are seen on TV, the more people want to try them, and the more people see them and try them the more they assume its helping them without actually knowing the reasoning behind the larger sizes. Its an interesting conundrum, a slippery slope really. I think most would benefit more from a midsized pistol style, but trends are trends.

For me it went from seeing it on tour to testing it out. I didn't expect to end up with the Flatso Slim, but it felt comfortable in the hands for me. I'm not sure if it was to stop a miss or anything for me. It just felt comfortable and the more comfortable I feel standing over knee knockers, the better.

Interesting i guess it keeps the hands out of the stroke more my mis is usually right and is due to a open shoulder not a swing issue

This is very interesting. I am a fan of the SS Flatso Ultra but have not tried anything larger. I would say that I have not been missing left. I do think most players including pros like the idea of a one way miss.

Interesting question. I for one started with the 2.0 and ended up with the 1.0 and recently went back to standard pistol type grips. My miss has always been predominantly RIGHT and is an alignment/stroke issue as pointed out to me recently in a fitting. Now, I have had more left misses in the last week or so than EVER. I don't put it on the grip but rather me learning something new.

I did take a look at them in the beginning simply because they were new and something different. I can verify that I still missed right more than left too. :act-up:

JM

This is very interesting. I am a fan of the SS Flatso Ultra but have not tried anything larger. I would say that I have not been missing left. I do think most players including pros like the idea of a one way miss.

Agreed. Absolutely. The issue I see here, is taking a product that is designed to eliminate one side, if your miss is the opposite or even two way (like most amateurs).

It reminds me of someone that suffers a huge hook off the tee, due to closing at impact, and using a draw driver because they "like the feel". It could work. Heck, it could work quite well. But odds are stacked.

Obviously an extreme example.

Agreed. Absolutely. The issue I see here, is taking a product that is designed to eliminate one side, if your miss is the opposite or even two way (like most amateurs).

It reminds me of someone that suffers a huge hook off the tee, due to closing at impact, and using a draw driver because they "like the feel". It could work. Heck, it could work quite well. But odds are stacked.

It seems like it would be difficult to market and tough to get accurate info out to the consumer. I only know what my miss is because of detailed stats I keep because of my SPi instruction. I agree most amateurs really don't know what their miss is and just want to play the grip they see on TV.

I think I may have misread the OP. If we are talking about putter grips the no left miss is not for me, if we are talking about grips for all clubs then this would definitely be in okay for me.

Personally, I like they way they look and feel in hand. My miss with the putter has never really been left/right, but more of a pace issue (coming up short). I've tried a number of them, and gamed them for a good while...however, I have since moved on as I do believe they are not offering me anything that a standard putter grip does.

I can miss both ways with my putter. I've never heard that it was to help the left miss until now. I play an oversized grip because I find the size to be very comfortable when putting.

For me it's about comfort and and keeping my wrist quiet. Really have like the feel of the SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 and I imagine ill have the grip for awhile.

JB, do I understand what they are talking about is eliminating the lefts for ALL clubs by using this new grip?

JB said:
The reason that it was interesting is that he continued speaking about the average amateur miss not being left. The marketing has evolved from the company, and by next year they will have grips for all of the clubs. The question remains, if the goal is to remove the left and most amateurs dont miss left, should they be?

I'll say this right now. If this means I can focus on a regular fade for my full swing, I'd totally be down for that. As long as I don't go over the top <insert Stallone reference here> my miss is almost always left.

But here's what I would ponder: If you were a golf coach, I was a golf coach, and I could get someone to turn their slices into hooks as their miss, I'm halfway there, swap out the grip and boom, more enjoyable golf.

Could it fit in the Smart Sole category? Not for everyone but for those who try it it could be a godsend? That also sounds pretty good.

They have a "fitting system" on their website which asks what your misses are, your stroke type, etc. I'm currently using a Fatso because it felt comfortable, but after the online suggestion of the 2.0, I'll try that one out next as soon as my new putter gets here.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

My miss has been left, but I do find the SS to help with that. I do find it odd that they market based on a tour miss, I wonder if they'll change some of that moving forward!

They have a "fitting system" on their website which asks what your misses are, your stroke type, etc. I'm currently using a Fatso because it felt comfortable, but after the online suggestion of the 2.0, I'll try that one out next as soon as my new putter gets here.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't notice that tool before. It spit out the 1.0 options including the Flatso Ultra I am using now.

Back