Shaft replacement gone wrong?

Nebgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
#GolfIsFun
Thanks to Mmaynard11 and KC720, I had a J40 driver with a PX 5.5 shaft in it and a PX 6.0 shaft that I wanted to swap it for. Took it into one of the only places locally that does shaft work, and told him I wanted to swap the shafts and hopefully get the 5.5 back. I picked up the driver today with the 6.0 shaft in it, and asked where the 5.5 was, and he said "I was not able to save the shaft without over heating the head...thought it best to protect the head". Is it realistic to expect that an experienced club fitter couldn't have saved the existing shaft, or was he feeding me a line? If he screwed up, do I have any options to be made whole?

Thanks to Mmaynard11 and KC720, I had a J40 driver with a PX 5.5 shaft in it and a PX 6.0 shaft that I wanted to swap it for. Took it into one of the only places locally that does shaft work, and told him I wanted to swap the shafts and hopefully get the 5.5 back. I picked up the driver today with the 6.0 shaft in it, and asked where the 5.5 was, and he said "I was not able to save the shaft without over heating the head...thought it best to protect the head". Is it realistic to expect that an experienced club fitter couldn't have saved the existing shaft, or was he feeding me a line? If he screwed up, do I have any options to be made whole?

I havent heard or experienced anything like this except on the bore-thru heads. IMO he fed you a line.

I've had two experiences where prior installations (one from company, one not) caused for so much heat to be used that the shaft failed and frayed which led to drilling out the remainder of the shaft. It doesn't happen often, but it CAN happen that a pull is not cooperating.

Generally a shaft should be able to be saved, but it is never a guarantee. I always error on the side of not damaging the head if it comes down to it. Most places will tell you that they can't guarantee saving the shaft and there may be little recourse for you in that regard.

I've had two experiences where prior installations (one from company, one not) caused for so much heat to be used that the shaft failed and frayed which led to drilling out the remainder of the shaft. It doesn't happen often, but it CAN happen that a pull is not cooperating.

I agree. It can and does happen.

Did he give you the shaft that he wasn't able to save? If not I'd ask to have it. Could be pulling a fast one.

Worst case is the tip is ruined, but then you can have it tipped and play it in a fairway wood, no?

I have had a couple of shafts where the tips were ruined in order to get them out. 1 had to be cut and drilled out as the epoxy just wouldn't let loose. Luckily they were all inexpensive shafts and none of them were any of my high dollar ones. These were all pulled by a local Edwin Watts, who does all of my pulls on graphite shafts. If I had a shaft puller, I would definitely do it myself.

Did he give you the shaft that he wasn't able to save? If not I'd ask to have it. Could be pulling a fast one.
he didn't give me the ruined shaft and I haven't pushed the issue. not sure if it would be bad form or not.

he didn't give me the ruined shaft and I haven't pushed the issue. not sure if it would be bad form or not.
tell him you want to use it for practice. That's what the pros used before someone finally came up with alignment sticks

tell him you want to use it for practice. That's what the pros used before someone finally came up with alignment sticks

Asked for it back so I could save the grip and do something else with the shaft; said he cut it up for easier disposal? I'll be getting the grip back tomorrow though.

That guy seems like a terrible club repairman

what? the first time I pulled a graphite shaft, I didn't use a shaft puller, and it came out fine. I'd say that was complete crap.

what? the first time I pulled a graphite shaft, I didn't use a shaft puller, and it came out fine. I'd say that was complete crap.

You got lucky then. I've watched my guy have a hell of a time with shafts and I know for a fact he knows what hes doing.

Most are easy, some are not.

You got lucky then. I've watched my guy have a hell of a time with shafts and I know for a fact he knows what hes doing.

as long as you pull the head out straight, I don't see it being a problem.

Weird I wonder why everyone uses shaft pullers then. They must be new.

I didn't say that shaft pullers are useless, I also didn't say it was easy to pull it off straight. I also didn't say that I wasn't lucky. Stop giving me crap, man. I know that shaft pullers ensure a higher success rate.

I've seen LOTS of graphite ruined by people who thought they could just pull the head off straight, I even did it when I first got into building and didn't have a puller. Not smart if the shaft is one you don't want ruined, not smart at all.

Back OT, threw it for easier disposal? That is crap, imo. At least you know not to ever use him again.

Back