Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pondering a new phone, as im just getting tired of my s4 and it cant be bootloader unlocked bc its verizon.

Nothing really new out besides the s5 though.

I'm a big fan of my Nexus 5. Has performed like a champ for me since I got it and has really shined during international travel. Also, if you want to boot loader unlock, it is easy to do!

Electronics Pondering

I would love more info on this. Does the 12in size bother you compared to the 10 of the ipad? So you have the regular keyboard or the upgraded one? Are you using it as a laptop replacement or more of a tablet?

First impressions:
1. I love the kickstand the Surface comes with. Don't have to rely on a cover to give me this functionality. They also hide the microSD port behind this.
2. The 12" screen gives this more of a laptop feel. It might make this a tad bit heavier than the iPad 2 but not by much.
3. Plenty of apps that I can tell. It has the important ones: Facebook, Twitter, Tapatalk, Netflix and comes with some basic ones that Apple does not provide (calculator for example).
4. I have the Surface Pro 3 cover/keyboard (had to buy separately) which gives me plenty of room to type and strengthens the laptop feel of the Surface. It also comes with a Bluetooth pen (no need to buy it separately) which is much better for handwriting than anything the iPad currently has on offer.
5. Takes less than ten seconds to boot up. Awesome.

I am using it as a laptop alternative, so this looks like it's going to fit the bill for me. It looks to do a good job interfacing with the XBOX as well ... I just don't have an XBOX (or account) though people who do will probably like this integration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First impressions:
1. I love the kickstand the Surface comes with. Don't have to rely on a cover to give me this functionality. They also hide the microSD port behind this.
2. The 12" screen gives this more of a laptop feel. It might make this a tad bit heavier than the iPad 2 but not by much.
3. Plenty of apps that I can tell. It has the important ones: Facebook, Twitter, Tapatalk, Netflix and comes with some basic ones that Apple does not provide (calculator for example).
4. I have the Surface Pro 3 cover/keyboard (had to buy separately) which gives me plenty of room to type and strengthens the laptop feel of the Surface. It also comes with a Bluetooth pen (no need to buy it separately) which is much better for handwriting than anything the iPad currently has on offer.
5. Takes less than ten seconds to boot up. Awesome.

I am using it as a laptop alternative, so this looks like it's going to fit the bill for me. It looks to do a good job interfacing with the XBOX as well ... I just don't have an XBOX (or account) though people who do will probably like this integration.

Thanks, just a bit of clarification, does it only run apps or actual programs like Photoshop?

Thanks, just a bit of clarification, does it only run apps or actual programs like Photoshop?

If you have the Surface Pro, it will run anything that runs on Windows 8 Desktop. The only inhibiting factor is memory.

If you have the Surface Pro, it will run anything that runs on Windows 8 Desktop. The only inhibiting factor is memory.

Ok thats what I thought, your post confused me a bit because you said you had the pro but then talked about apps!

Ok thats what I thought, your post confused me a bit because you said you had the pro but then talked about apps!
It runs both. It has an app store, but then it also allows you to install full software packages. I haven't loaded any full software packages yet, but I am about to add Rosetta Stone and a few others. I will update once I have accomplished it.

haha TWC downloading at 0.25MB this morning. Gotta love that 30MB connection!!

I'm about as excited as someone can be for switching to fioptics. I'd be glad to never give TWC another cent.

I'm about as excited as someone can be for switching to fioptics. I'd be glad to never give TWC another cent.
Reminds me of old school Napster.

1 song in 30 minutes!

It's a joke is what it is.. Reset the modem, rocking that 130ping at 0.73MB down like a damn sir!
Did you turn it off and turn it back on?

Sometimes that works.

I was sooooooooooo thrilled to get rid of TWC. Congrats dude

I was sooooooooooo thrilled to get rid of TWC. Congrats dude

Yes!!!!

And the best part? Cincy Bell Fioptics is running GB internet by the end of 2014. I am going to be all over that.

Yes!!!!

And the best part? Cincy Bell Fioptics is running GB internet by the end of 2014. I am going to be all over that.

Running Gig internet like a SIR.

You can be just like me Dan

Running Gig internet like a SIR.

You can be just like me Dan

We are giving up cable at the new place, at least for the first while. I'm down to enjoy some instant queue on gig interwebs in the meantime.

I'm a big fan of my Nexus 5. Has performed like a champ for me since I got it and has really shined during international travel. Also, if you want to boot loader unlock, it is easy to do!

Thats the phone i would love to get, but would require me switching from Verizon to AT&T.

Pondering doing that though as I really loved my Galaxy Nexus and the fact i could do what i wanted with it since its a google device instead of a manufacturers.

Three straight mornings now, I wake up to internet that is absolutely crawling. I cannot wait to get out of this house and away from time warner cable.

They are about as awful of as ISP as it gets.

Three straight mornings now, I wake up to internet that is absolutely crawling. I cannot wait to get out of this house and away from time warner cable.

They are about as awful of as ISP as it gets.

Try living out in the country and having satellite internets...

Tablets, I am an apple homer but have been looking into a windows based tablet for work. I like the nicer types with bells and whistles, whats a few to look at?

So I'm typically accessing THP from my phone day and night because I prefer not to access it from my work PC for obvious reasons.

With the announcement earlier this week I knew I needed to have something more than my phone while at work.

So last night on Amazon I picked up a Toshiba Chromebook. Thinking it will be perfect paired with a hot spot at work.

Arrives tomorrow and I'm excited to get it setup! Will also use in the evenings at home. At 3 lbs and a 13 inch screen, I think it'll fit the needs perfectly.

So I'm typically accessing THP from my phone day and night because I prefer not to access it from my work PC for obvious reasons.

With the announcement earlier this week I knew I needed to have something more than my phone while at work.

So last night on Amazon I picked up a Toshiba Chromebook. Thinking it will be perfect paired with a hot spot at work.

Arrives tomorrow and I'm excited to get it setup! Will also use in the evenings at home. At 3 lbs and a 13 inch screen, I think it'll fit the needs perfectly.

Interested to hear how this works for you. My wife doesn't like me using her laptop at home and hate posting from my phone or ipad.

Interested to hear how this works for you. My wife doesn't like me using her laptop at home and hate posting from my phone or ipad.

I'll certainly let you know. Will have it here at work all next week.

Think you might like that one Cookie.

Think you might like that one Cookie.

Hoping so, specs are great.

16 GB SSD, 13.3" screen
2 GB DDR3 RAM
2 free years of cloud storage
Usb and HDMI outs
9 hour battery life

And all for $288 shipped. Yes please!

Chromebooks are a crazy good idea honestly for someone looking at a new laptop. Unless you need more powerful applications for photos and games, Google has really hit the a home run.

Chromebooks are a crazy good idea honestly for someone looking at a new laptop. Unless you need more powerful applications for photos and games, Google has really hit the a home run.

amazon had a kindle special on them the other day. They were silly cheap. By the time I saw the deal they were sold out of their stock for that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back