SuperStroke Grips - Eliminate the Left

I didn't notice that tool before. It spit out the 1.0 options including the Flatso Ultra I am using now.

It did the same for me too.

I gamed a SS last season on my PTM1 for about 4 months. I thought it helped quite my hands. I wouldn't say I missed one way more than the other but liked the feel a lot. However, once I was taught the basics of SPi I found the grip really wasn't working and I went back to a mid-size pistol grip. What I find interesting is that a few guys in my golf league have gotten SS grips after putting around with mine last year. I think 3 of the 4 went with the fatso because it "keeps their wrists quite." I can't say if the grip has improved their putting or if its been practice but they all like the feel. I think it ultimately comes down to confidence with the putter. I struggle with pace more than anything so I don't feel as if the SS would help my stroke.

So I spent some time last week talking to someone that deals with putter grips quite a bit about different items. The conversation turned to the SuperStroke and the popularity recently. He mentioned that while out on tour, the players were approached with the grip with the design to eliminate the left miss.

The reason that it was interesting is that he continued speaking about the average amateur miss not being left. The marketing has evolved from the company, and by next year they will have grips for all of the clubs. The question remains, if the goal is to remove the left and most amateurs dont miss left, should they be?

Or is it a trend that took off on tour, people like the feel a bit and jumped in and assume its working?

I miss left. What does that say about me hahhaha? I'm no where near the tour haha :). I actually like reading this as I've considered going this route because of this reason.

I don't think I've ever thought of what my miss was with a putter. But, it makes sense that a player could have "a miss" with that club.

I've always put misses into the context of 'above the hole' or 'below the hole', and relating my misses either to playing too much, or not enough break, and/or hitting the ball too soft or too hard.

I game the SS 3.0, fwiw.

I have a couple of questions, and they may be dumb ones so bare with me.

1)What in the design is supposed to be the cure for the left miss? How was this design for the miss different than some of the Winn jumo grips that were out there before.
2)Was it really designed to avoid the left miss or was it just marketed that way to attract the tour pro?

Also - wasn't the original superstroke grip the one that KJ Choi used? That kind of had to be screwed on to the putter?

EDIT: Talking about this thing here.

SuperStroke_grip_blue.jpg

I dont necessarily think the design of different jumbo grips are different. Users do, but that is a personal thing.
Moving wrists out of the equation, seems to say less lefts to me in my little head anyway. It could introduce the right, but that is for a different discussion. Harder to close down with less wrist movement would be what my head is saying anyway.

EDIT: I should add that it was discussed openly between SuperStroke and 2 Tour Players as well as 1 putter manufacturer while we were out on the putting green at a tour event.

Agreed. Absolutely. The issue I see here, is taking a product that is designed to eliminate one side, if your miss is the opposite or even two way (like most amateurs).

It reminds me of someone that suffers a huge hook off the tee, due to closing at impact, and using a draw driver because they "like the feel". It could work. Heck, it could work quite well. But odds are stacked.

Obviously an extreme example.
Most have no idea what their miss is or what works to correct it. These grip took off like wild fire because of the tour and word,of mouth.

I never knew these eliminated lefts. I thought the platform was SS quieted your hands. I am midsize grip guy and the 2.0 mid slim works for me. The non tapers means both hands work together.

Most have no idea what their miss is or what works to correct it. These grip took off like wild fire because of the tour and word,of mouth.

I never knew these eliminated lefts. I thought the platform was SS quieted your hands. I am midsize grip guy and the 2.0 mid slim works for me. The non tapers means both hands work together.

I usually played a midsize and sometimes jumbo grip myself. I'm looking at my notes from my SeeMore putter fitting last year and it talks about how I had more of a cut stroke and needed less hand action. Now I have never used anything larger than the 1.0 or 1.4 Flatso. What I do like about those are that it helps me feel like I get in to a better grip position that my putting instructor wanted me in.

I understand eliminating one side of the course in regards to full swing. But, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea of eliminating one side of the hole. But, I guess, like Tadashi said, most golfers don't know what side of the line, their putts typically miss.

I know I have a slight outside/in stroke. And, at impact, my putterface is typically 1-2* open, which offsets the out/in stroke. I went to the SS grip to quiet my wrists and get rid of, or reduce, some yips.

Do we all need to find a straight 10' putt, on our local green. And, the putt 50 balls to it and see which side most of them end up?

Even if a golfer does know that, are they going to add 1/2" or so to every break they read to make up for that "might go left miss"? Or, do they go to this new grip a now have to think about, "my miss is to the right now. How to I eliminate that?".

I have a mid-slim 2.0 on my Ping Ketsch and I had never thought about this "eliminate the left" before you brought it up. But now that I think about it, I think you're right.

I miss left much less these days because I can feel myself coming over the top and closing the face with the SS even before I see the results. I feel I've torqued it. I don't get this feeling with the right push and I'll only know I've pushed it when I look up. Ya learn something every day.

and by next year they will have grips for all of the clubs.

Are the new ones they're coming out with going to be anything like the ones they've already released previously?

I have them on some of my clubs and I thought they were ok but I guess they didn't do that well?

Just put the 3.0 Ryder cup on my putter get to try it out tomorrow. uploadfromtaptalk1407804591731.jpg

Nice Cheffor, I freaking love the Ryder Cup grips.

Looks sweet

Just saw this thread, it's weird I've been gaming the 3.0 for a while now and have to say most of if not all my short putt misses (4 feet or less) I miss left but my longer ones I miss right.

Just threw the Ultra Slim 1.0 on an old Ping Anser...excited to give the grip and putter a go.

I just put a 3.0 on my #7 and just putting around, it seemed everything went left. But I have a 1.0 on my Bettinardi and it seems the opposite. Must be a mental thing.

My misses are equally left and right due to the read rather than the putter's grip. The SS Midnight 1.0 felt great but speed became a major issue. I was consistently hitting putts too hard which resulted in lip-outs and 5 foot comebackers, so I took the grip off my Nike Method 001 and put it on my Dad's Odyssey mallet. His miss was short but on target, and the Midnight solved that. He's putting better than ever now and he loves the grip.

I switched to the SS "The Claw" and have been putting great with it. Accuracy and the right speed - what a concept!

attachment.php

Last edited:
How did I never know this until now?

I guess this is a great example of why THP rocks. Great discussion here.

So, like many amateurs, I just went a couple years ago and had one put on because I thought it would help quiet my hands down. Never really thinking of my typical miss, I just picked what felt comfortable. Wound up with a slim 55.

I don't keep detailed stats, but I would bet 85 pct of my misses are right, at least when it's not a bad read and I miss left due to that.

Maybe I should size down slightly and see what the differences are.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Anyone else have an issue with feel using the SS? From 10 feet and in, it's like I'm completely clueless on how hard to hit it with the SS on there. It seems as if I have no feel whatsoever. On my previous putter I had a Winn Jumbo Pistol which I putted well with. I'm trying to figure out if it's me or the grip..... Thoughts?

SuperStroke Grips - Eliminate the Left

Anyone else have an issue with feel using the SS? From 10 feet and in, it's like I'm completely clueless on how hard to hit it with the SS on there. It seems as if I have no feel whatsoever. On my previous putter I had a Winn Jumbo Pistol which I putted well with. I'm trying to figure out if it's me or the grip..... Thoughts?

It's funny you said that. This spring I thought the grip in my Scotty was a little small for my hands and I'd benefit from something wider. I was putting well at the time. Never been a great reader of greens, but I hit my line most of the time and distance control was good.

I put a SS 3.0 midnight on. It felt good in hand, but as soon as I went to the practice green it was as if I'd lost all sense of the putter head. No feel whatsoever. Distance was way off. I'm just about to give up on the SS. It's certainly more Indian than arrow, but something about the SS ad I just don't get along on this putter at least.

I've been thinking I must be nuts. Glad you posted this. Now at least I know I'm not the only nut.

Last edited:
It's funny you said that. This spring I thought the grip in my Scotty was a lite small for my hands and I'd benefit from something wider. I was putting well at the time. Never been a great reader of greens, but I hit my line most of the time and distance control was good.

I put a SS 3.0 midnight on. It felt good in hand, but as soon as I went to the practice green it was as if I'd list all sense of the putter head. No feel whatsoever. Distance was way off. I'm just about to give up on the SS. It's certainly more Indian than arrow, but something about the SS ad I just don't get along on this putter at least.

I've been thinking I must be nuts. Glad you posted this. Now at least I know I'm not the only nut.
Golfsmith sent me a $10 off any $10 purchase coupon for my birthday so I'm going to pick up a Winn Jumbo today. I putted lights out with it on my other putter but the SS came on the new putter. I love how the SS feels in my hands but as you said there's just no feel control with the putts. We'll see how it goes!

Alot of times you lose alot of the inital headweight when these grips go on. I found that I needed to add quite a bit of lead tape to the putter head when I added my SS grips. Something to possibly ponder

Alot of times you lose alot of the inital headweight when these grips go on. I found that I needed to add quite a bit of lead tape to the putter head when I added my SS grips. Something to possibly ponder
Maybe get heavier weights for the putter?

I had the same thing as you guys. For me I figured out the grip was too light and all the weight was at head. What I started doing was putting a back weight at the top of the shaft. I made it to weigh about 25g with a carriage bolt, lead tape and a little thread tape. Put it right in the end of the shaft, install the grip and it brings back a little feel and you can feel the head again.

Back