Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

This is very true. They couldn't care less about what we think because it isn't #1 like in 90% of other countries across the globe. JT made a great point about the goal differential as the tie breaker being very effective, and I sincerely agree with him there. Still doesn't mean that there is always a winner in each game, but other people have different beliefs of what it should be and I respect that. And let's be honest, having no draws would have next to 0 effect on American support of the sport (for those that don't).
Americans only care when we end up on the wrong side of it. If we scored in the 95th to get that point, Americans would LOVE draws.

This is very true. They couldn't care less about what we think because it isn't #1 like in 90% of other countries across the globe. JT made a great point about the goal differential as the tie breaker being very effective, and I sincerely agree with him there. Still doesn't mean that there is always a winner in each game, but other people have different beliefs of what it should be and I respect that. And let's be honest, having no draws would have next to 0 effect on American support of the sport (for those that don't).

You are right on all those fronts. Soccer is like hockey, you either like it or you don't. The rules are not extraordinarily complex, but no, someone who watches three games over two weeks, once every four years is not going to appreciate it anymore than the person who watches only the Olympic hockey.

It's not a big deal that soccer isn't every Americans favorite sport, but it is growing, and each World Cup helps it grow a bit more.

It's not a big deal that soccer isn't every Americans favorite sport, but it is growing, and each World Cup helps it grow a bit more.

And that's a good thing. I've seen football grow massively since I first started coming here 12 or so years ago. When I first started coming here, there was no coverage. Then I noticed it starting to creep into the Vegas sports books. Now, there is more coverage here than back home.

Americans only care when we end up on the wrong side of it. If we scored in the 95th to get that point, Americans would LOVE draws.

BS I don't care if they win the world cup on a draw, it's still not something I embrace in any championship sporting event. Anybody remember the USA Russia hockey game? That was drama and how a game should end.

BS I don't care if they win the world cup on a draw, it's still not something I embrace in any championship sporting event. Anybody remember the USA Russia hockey game? That was drama and how a game should end.
I thought the USA-Russia was amazing whether they did the SO or not. Plus, draws only determine one phase of the WC. In European soccer (and I believe the MLS does the same thing), draws show that you were able to grind out results and get points when you might not have played your best or played a team much better than you. Rather than get nothing out of playing well in a game.

I think Hockey gets it right with the 1 point if you go to OT, but get 2 for winning OT.

What a let down today hopefully we can pull a tie vs Germany

Hey War Eagle, looks like Auburn fans made it to the World Cup

WOW! Suarez just bit another defender?! Ugh......La Liga can have him now.

Edit: Why does Pirlo look like Charles Manson

Crazy Italy-Uruguay game: Italy goes down to 10 men with a red card, then Suarez looks like he bit an Italian player on the shoulder in the box! 1 minute later, Uruguay scores on a header and will likely go through now.

Crazy Italy-Uruguay game: Italy goes down to 10 men with a red card, then Suarez looks like he bit an Italian player on the shoulder in the box! 1 minute later, Uruguay scores on a header and will likely go through now.

definitely bit him

I like how Suarez acted the defenders shoulder got in the way of his mouth.

Wow..if you had Costa Rica and Uruguay progressing over England and Italy, raise your hand...<crickets>

So Uruguay will advance, but I'll be shocked if Suarez isn't suspended for the next match. Good luck advancing without him in the round of 16.

So Uruguay will advance, but I'll be shocked if Suarez isn't suspended for the next match. Good luck advancing without him in the round of 16.

I have a feeling the FIFA banhammer is going to come down hard on Luis. This is the third time he's bitten someone. I loved me some Suarez up until 10 minutes ago. Now I want Liverpool to sell him.

Bq6eP2fCUAEXbPu.png

he could be gone the remaining tournament....this is what the 3rd time he has bit someone

Wow..if you had Costa Rica and Uruguay progressing over England and Italy, raise your hand...<crickets>

Guess I'll give my cricket a bite to eat as I had them both going through.

Suarez needs to be given an even longer ban that he's had in the past for that, maybe a ban from the rest of this World Cup and then next?

If you bite me, we're both going home with red cards because I'm going to beat the hell out of you. Not even showing the ref, just throwing hands right there.

The best use of goal-line technology yet.

haha awesome

Suarez - will you ever learn? Can take the boy out of the country but...
Moron. Should be banned for a year. Maybe forever.

Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

I wouldn't be surprised if Suarez is hit really hard. Year long suspension from all competition and a lifetime ban from international competition sounds right.

At the very least he should be done for this WC

Back