Wilson Staff Introduces Milled 8802

I imagine you are right.I have not heard a price on 8802. If perhaps they did take a shorter margin it might give them a chance to build a line vests an item.
As cool as they would look, let's be honest, they wouldn't sell. The putter market is fickle, with the 8802 they at least get the nostalgia sales.

Wilson Staff Introduces Milled 8802

I imagine you are right.I have not heard a price on 8802. If perhaps they did take a shorter margin it might give them a chance to build a line vests an item.

But putters are simply not a wise market to put any major eggs into, you've got to remember, it's Odyssey by and INSANE margin, then Scotty by name recognition, and then everyone else. It's just not wise for a company trying to again find it's stride, there is a reason not every company has a putter line.

Last edited:
Well thought out. I know you are right. I am usually the one saying do not throw all the crap at the wall and see what sticks. Wilson should keep to what it is good at. They have a long way to go even in the iron channel where they have a little market share.

What a gorgeous putter.

What is it about the shaft that makes it so unique?

What a gorgeous putter.

What is it about the shaft that makes it so unique?

Its all about the step pattern, the diameter, and the flex, which gave them a very unique feel compared to other putter shafts at the time which were essentially just iron shafts installed into putters. They're still really sought after, not life changing IMO, but they're pretty cool.

I'd be curious to know if this "new" version went back to the original diameters as that is what made them most unique.

Love the looks of this putter, have a bettinardi version and might add this one too

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

THP will have more up close and personal with this one very soon.

Stoked. Man I want to roll one of these so bad

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Wow. That's beautiful. Pretty sure one will be added to the collection soon.

For some reason, I absolutely love this putter

That's a really sweet looking putter. I play a similar style now, but I'd probably struggle with it.

You sweating the mailperson yet? I know you have to be thinking about this quite a bit. Can't wait to see some pictures.

You sweating the mailperson yet? I know you have to be thinking about this quite a bit. Can't wait to see some pictures.

I actually set up my deer blind outside of the mailbox, they won't know what hit them.

Nice. Catch and release!

Nice. Catch and release!

Lame. :alien:

Seriously though, really excited to work with this one, should be in tomorrow. I started playing with an 8802, its not the most forgiving or efficient design for most am's, but it is one of the prettiest and most historic. There are a few things on this design I want to see in hand size wise, see just how true they were to the original.

I had a Walker Cup labeled 8802 that I attempted a refinish on. Didn't turn out so well. Also have a Ben Hogan version. It's a style I really enjoy visually for sure. More of a showpiece type thing though.

My dad uses an old 8802 now I think this would be a cool gift for him

Jman,
When it comes in, will you start a new Preview thread? Thanks.

I can't wait for in hand pics. This is probably the best looking putter I've seen in years

I'm over in the Scotland and got this putter the day it was released - gaming it for about a month now

Had an 8882 black for the last year and the feel on the 8802 is so much better, especially if you hit off centre. I know a lot of people find this style of putter tricky but I've never played another style and can't see changing this club again... unless someone on THP wants to donate a Scotty Napa ??

I'm over in the Scotland and got this putter the day it was released - gaming it for about a month now

Had an 8882 black for the last year and the feel on the 8802 is so much better, especially if you hit off centre. I know a lot of people find this style of putter tricky but I've never played another style and can't see changing this club again... unless someone on THP wants to donate a Scotty Napa ??

Welcome to THP!

Thank you for your thoughts, I'm really eager to get this one in hand tomorrow and start working with it.

I really can't wait to try one of these in a store. I have always loved my heel shafted blades. The 8802 was a benchmark for me. Wish I still had my original.

Back