Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

It's not called the beautiful game for nothing!

There was a story in the 2006 WC when the Ivory Coast was at war. They stopped the war just for the WC and to have peace in the nation during a time where they needed to unite behind a team. Powerful stuff to me.

I know you are a young man, but the Olympics has had a far bigger impact than that in many countries. Including stories of countries boycotting, athletes boycotting and so much more. It is also about nations. It is also about athletes. And it is far far reaching.

Or many of the colder climate nations of the world.

Is it really better than the Olympics?

This is actually one of the most equitable sporting events in that EVERY country that wants to field a team for qualifying can do so. I don't remember the exact number, but I believe over 200 nations started in qualifying over two years ago, which is why this is technically the World Cup Finals.

I'm not saying it is better or bigger than the Olympics, but compared to other single sport events, I'd say it's far and above the biggest.

A hard clock, where I assume means the clock actually stops every time play stops is a terrible idea! Football is a fluid game. A clock that keeps stopping and starting would totally ruin the flow of the game. Besides, I can guarantee it will never happen, so the rights and wrongs of it are irrelevant LOL

I dont think anybody struggles to understand what it is. Just that many American fans dont like it. It leads to the unknown, the questionable and other things. Hard clocks eliminate that. It reminds me of slow play. There is no reason for it anymore in golf. Put these guys on a visible clock and that goes away.

When MLS started, they had a hard clock and a shootout at the end of every game so that ties didn't happen. The American soccer fans didn't respond positively to those rule changes and they were scrapped after the 1999 season. Just food for thought.

A hard clock, where I assume means the clock actually stops every time play stops is a terrible idea! Football is a fluid game. A clock that keeps stopping and starting would totally ruin the flow of the game. Besides, I can guarantee it will never happen, so the rights and wrongs of it are irrelevant LOL
No, rather the referee lets both teams know exactly how much stoppage time is going to be issued. As of right now, only two people know how much time is on that clock and the ref can -if he so chooses- further extend the match for no other reason than that he can.

When MLS started, they had a hard clock and a shootout at the end of every game so that ties didn't happen. The American soccer fans didn't respond positively to those rule changes and they were scrapped after the 1999 season. Just food for thought.

That was almost comedic. They tried to Americanize the game, and since there was little chance of bringing in the non-soccer fan, they managed to turn off those that did love the game.

Well aware. But there were no casual fans viewing and attending. Its not about bringing those fans, they come regardless, its about creating new fans. We saw the exact same thing and argument in hockey. In fact we see it in every single sport every time ANY change comes up.

Growth will be shown the minute the US loses (if that happens and I hope not). I would bet everything I own the ratings plummet. Which, again, is a shame. But its reality for this country's fans.

And the shootouts were NHL penalty shot style, where you'd start from 35 yds and have 5 seconds to shoot against the keeper. Dreadful.

No, rather the referee lets both teams know exactly how much stoppage time is going to be issued. As of right now, only two people know how much time is on that clock and the ref can -if he so chooses- further extend the match for no other reason than that he can.

Ding Ding Ding.
Its very easy. Regulation ends. Refs say 4:30 on the clock. In this day and age, its not as if technology does not exist to do this without ANY stoppage of play at all.

And the shootouts were NHL penalty shot style, where you'd start from 35 yds and have 5 seconds to shoot against the keeper. Dreadful.

Not thread relevant, but it would be hilarious to see how an NHL shootout would go it they took them like soccer games currently do hahahaha!

Ding Ding Ding.
Its very easy. Regulation ends. Refs say 4:30 on the clock. In this day and age, its not as if technology does not exist to do this without ANY stoppage of play at all.

If they linked the ref's watch to a visible clock somewhere in the arena so the amount of added time is known by everyone at all times, would that be a viable solution in your concerns?

If they linked the ref's watch to a visible clock somewhere in the arena so the amount of added time is known by everyone at all times, would that be a viable solution in your opinion?
At the end of full time, the ref should just say "X minutes, Y seconds additional in stoppage time". If there is more accrued stoppage time during stopage time, the ref should just announce "Y seconds more stoppage time" sort of like how football ref's assess penalties. I'm fine with the ref having the discretion to add more stoppage time, or let things be (i.e., give him the discretion as to whether a team is purposely slow in swapping players out), but having people know just how long is left could avoid a whole lot of controversy.

As it stands, it's typically around 5 minutes per side stoppage time. There was no excuse for the US to give up a goal that deep into stoppage time, regardless of whether or not they knew how much time was left.

To even think the main reason why football isn't as big over here as it is in the rest of the world is because spectators don't like the timing system is frankly, ridiculous. It's a cultural thing. It's exactly the same reason why, although it's gaining popularity, American Football is a minority sport in the UK. Most people back home will tell you they hate the sport because it's too stop start.
Of course the ratings will go back down after the US get knocked out, but somewhere out there are a tonne of kids that are watching this, getting the bug and getting inspired to play the game. That's how the game will grow over here, not by changing one of the fundamental rules of football that says the referee controls the game.

If they linked the ref's watch to a visible clock somewhere in the arena so the amount of added time is known by everyone at all times, would that be a viable solution in your concerns?
This is going to sound frustrating, but I don't think the ref ever writes down stoppages. I think he just remembers injuries that happen, so on, and then tells the 4th official that there should be, in his estimation, 4 minutes of ST.
As it stands, it's typically around 5 minutes per side stoppage time. There was no excuse for the US to give up a goal that deep into stoppage time, regardless of whether or not they knew how much time was left.
It's actually more like a 2-3 minute average. 5 minutes of stoppage time is not normal and is only seen when there is a bad injury.

To even think the main reason why football isn't as big over here as it is in the rest of the world is because spectators don't like the timing system is frankly, ridiculous. It's a cultural thing. It's exactly the same reason why, although it's gaining popularity, American Football is a minority sport in the UK. Most people back home will tell you they hate the sport because it's too stop start.
Of course the ratings will go back down after the US get knocked out, but somewhere out there are a tonne of kids that are watching this, getting the bug and getting inspired to play the game. That's how the game will grow over here, not by changing one of the fundamental rules of football that says the referee controls the game.
Could not agree with this more. FIFA will never change the rules to appease American fans because it's "not an naturally American sport where the team that wins the domestic title is automatically World Champs."

I think there are kids out there that want to be on this big stage for there country. They want to be like Dempsey, or Jones, or Timmy Howard. That's awesome to me.

This is going to sound frustrating, but I don't think the ref ever writes down stoppages. I think he just remembers injuries that happen, so on, and then tells the 4th official that there should be, in his estimation, 4 minutes of ST.

It's actually more like a 2-3 minute average. 5 minutes of stoppage time is not normal and is only seen when there is a bad injury.

One of the radio commentators mentioned in one of the games that the 4th official keeps tabs, and that events during the game have standards for added time. Substitution is like 30 seconds, a goal is a minute. Injuries are probably timed by the 4th official too.

One of the radio commentators mentioned in one of the games that the 4th official keeps tabs, and that events during the game have standards for added time. Substitution is like 30 seconds, a goal is a minute. Injuries are probably timed by the 4th official too.
That would make more sense.

I dont believe anyboday said it was the reason. But to think that having something different from EVERY other sport in the US is not part of the equation is equally ridiculous. There are tons of reasons why its not popular here and FWIW, it is with children. One of the biggest hurdles is lack of scoring and ties. American fans dont like it. Look at the biggest sports in this country and how they have fiddled with the overtime and extra time periods to ensure more scoring and no ties. Then look at low scoring sports and how they have fizzled including MLB, which has a huge history and heritage. They even turned a blind eye to cheating to get more scoring involved in that game.

And while the NFL is a minority sport in the UK, it is growing and hosting games. Its hard to compare the two considering in the US they play both sports and in the UK, they do not.

I dont believe anyboday said it was the reason. But to think that having something different from EVERY other sport in the US is not part of the equation is equally ridiculous. There are tons of reasons why its not popular here and FWIW, it is with children. One of the biggest hurdles is lack of scoring and ties. American fans dont like it. Look at the biggest sports in this country and how they have fiddled with the overtime and extra time periods to ensure more scoring and no ties. Then look at low scoring sports and how they have fizzled including MLB, which has a huge history and heritage. They even turned a blind eye to cheating to get more scoring involved in that game.

And while the NFL is a minority sport in the UK, it is growing and hosting games. Its hard to compare the two considering in the US they play both sports and in the UK, they do not.
I guess the only thing I can say isnt scoring is everything? I don't know. I've always been taught to appreciate the movement of players, tactics, and off the ball running. It's not always about scoring. There is always something going on for the full 90 min. Even if it's passing backwards, Forwards are getting in positions to make runs and mids are trying to get space so they can receive the ball. Maybe it'd be easier to show it, but even then I'm not sure. It's like plays in Basketball with picks and screens. Just on a much larger scale and no stopping.

I guess the only thing I can say isnt scoring is everything? I don't know. I've always been taught to appreciate the movement of players, tactics, and off the ball running. It's not always about scoring. There is always something going on for the full 90 min. Even if it's passing backwards, Forwards are getting in positions to make runs and mids are trying to get space so they can receive the ball. Maybe it'd be easier to show it, but even then I'm not sure. It's like plays in Basketball with picks and screens. Just on a much larger scale and no stopping.

Nobody is saying its right or wrong. Just the reasoning why its not popular in this country. I well understand the game, played the game, but dont have a passion for it. I have enjoyed this event, despite me disagreeing with some of the old guard rules.

Listen Mate, you clearly aren't a footie fan which is fine, and I'm not here to try and convert you. You've basically said there what I said in my previous post, the main hurdle is a cultural one. I know from my time first visiting the States 12 odd years ago to now living here, it's grown massively. On my first visit, I saw zero coverage, even in the Vegas sports books. Now you have more coverage than back in the UK. With 60 million folk in the UK, I guess you only need a quarter of your population to get behind the sport to have a nice pool to try and develop some world class talent.

For me, I find alot of the rules of soccer silly, the flopping can be ridiculous, and playing for a draw is pathetic. But at the end of the day that is not why I will lose All interest after the US is eliminated. The truth is the action really just does not resonate with me. I just don't enjoy watching it, as much as u have tried to get into it every 4 years. I caught an indoor soccer game on TV once (the Ocho maybe?) and it was pretty exciting, but all those guys on that huge field, it just seems slow to this uncultured American.

Nobody is saying its right or wrong. Just the reasoning why its not popular in this country. I well understand the game, played the game, but dont have a passion for it. I have enjoyed this event, despite me disagreeing with some of the old guard rules.
I know that. I'm actually super excited to see the country actually being excited for this. 2010 it was one of those ho hum, "Yay we won. How's LeBron doing?" kinda things. Now it's all anyone talks about. I was at a wedding and this family who were behind me and they were reacting to the Germany-Ghana game real time with scoring and talking about the points and different scenarios. It was amazing as I thought my soccer crazed family was the only one that cared.

I REALLY hope this translates into the MLS. Especially for cities that have MLS teams. It's weird for a city like Atlanta. Because while this place is buzzing and excited, who are people going to root for when it's over? DC United? They might be the closet Southeast team there. Hopefully, teams like Philly Union, Chicago Fire, and FC Dallas gain fans because of this World Cup and attendance goes up. Those markets could benefit, especially sense the only sport that is "in season" is baseball and we all know what direction baseball is trending.

So why didn't anyone tell me Epstein is playing for Belgium?? Now I have to route for them to win!.

I know that. I'm actually super excited to see the country actually being excited for this. 2010 it was one of those ho hum, "Yay we won. How's LeBron doing?" kinda things. Now it's all anyone talks about. I was at a wedding and this family who were behind me and they were reacting to the Germany-Ghana game real time with scoring and talking about the points and different scenarios. It was amazing as I thought my soccer crazed family was the only one that cared.

I REALLY hope this translates into the MLS. Especially for cities that have MLS teams. It's weird for a city like Atlanta. Because while this place is buzzing and excited, who are people going to root for when it's over? DC United? They might be the closet Southeast team there. Hopefully, teams like Philly Union, Chicago Fire, and FC Dallas gain fans because of this World Cup and attendance goes up. Those markets could benefit, especially sense the only sport that is "in season" is baseball and we all know what direction baseball is trending.

Going off topic, but to your point, I wonder if the MLS team announced in Atlanta for 2017 will try to capitalize on this World Cup attention in some way...announcing a name, kit, or something.

Back