cobra golf now puma

Not sure if this means anything, but Cobra just came out with a brand new iron/hybrid set, the SZ Max.
Cobra Golf: Irons: Cobra S2 Max Iron-Hybrid Set Men's

I'm sure they were working on this well before being bought by Puma, but the fact they were released under the Cobra name makes me hopeful that Puma has no plans of terminating it.

Just got my S2 irons today. I put them into play hopefully tomorrow if it stops raining.

Not sure if this means anything, but Cobra just came out with a brand new iron/hybrid set, the SZ Max.
Cobra Golf: Irons: Cobra S2 Max Iron-Hybrid Set Men's

I'm sure they were working on this well before being bought by Puma, but the fact they were released under the Cobra name makes me hopeful that Puma has no plans of terminating it.

Interesting that those S2 sets have a different iron/hybrid ratio according to shaft flex and construction.

Interesting that those S2 sets have a different iron/hybrid ratio according to shaft flex and construction.
Yep. I think these new ones are aimed for higher-cappers.

Just to clear a few things up. According to folks at both Puma and Cobra.

1. The sale has officially happened, but consumers will not see a change until all the current releases are out.

2. Ownership and management changes will take place in the next couple of months.

3. By summer you will start seeing the most changes and should even see some Puma branded clubs. They could be rebadged Cobra clubs, or new designs.

4. As of right now, some say the name will say Cobra and some say the name will change. It really depends on who you talk to internally.

5. They will be adding a different R&D team despite a few staying on from the Cobra line. Speaking to many in the industry, it seems none of the big names want this position for some reason.

By the end of summer most will see the major changes take place and the Puma Golf brand take a new shape and new distribution. Right now distribution is still through Acushnet, but that will not be the case in about 4 months.

Its clear that Acushnet moved a player from Cobra to Titleist just in time for this sale and the contracts of the players were sold. However both Camilo and IJP both have their own apparel deals which is puzzling, because Puma normally does not allow external branding. That is the reason Geoff left in the 1st place...Well that and FJ offered him a boatload to switch. As of right now you will not see staff bags change for any of the guys, according to both sides, but that could change soon.

One thing is for sure though, for everybody that is Cobra loyal because they love the equipment, the 2011 line will be made by different people and a different team regardless if it is called Cobra or Puma. So it will most likely be a completely different look, feel, and sound.

Another thing to note is that Puma had been trying to get into the equipment game for over 24 months. They were in the running to by Nickent (JH comfirmed this yesterday) and when Acushnet was trying to unload Cobra (badly), it made sense for Puma at this time apparently.

Thanks for the info JB.
I'm more loyal to Cobra in a design sense than an equipment & feel sense anyway, so as long as the brand looks the same, I'll be happy.

Cobra/Puma Golf and the Future

Cobra/Puma Golf and the Future

Very interesting info. I will have a chance to talk to some key current Cobra equipment reps this weekend in Macon. I will pick their brains to see what knowledge they have about their future..... Chris Sullivan, who is a Master club fitter for Cobra, is very excited about the Cobra/Puma future and what he has been informed.

Just search for Cobra Golf on your facebook home page....

Thanks JB for the update!

Yeah, that is correct. Our info did not come from sales reps. It came direct from the corporate office of each company.

"All Acushnet Company associates dedicated to the Cobra business are expected to become employees of PUMA."

What are they going to say? We know for a fact that they have spoken to some pretty big time club makers/designers. I would like to see everybody stay on board, because we never want to see anybody lose their employment.

But lets be real, has an acquisition ever gone that way

Last edited:
"All Acushnet Company associates dedicated to the Cobra business are expected to become employees of PUMA."

What are they going to say? We know for a fact that they have spoken to some pretty big time club makers/designers. I would like to see everybody stay on board, because we never want to see anybody lose their employment.

But lets be real, has an acquisition ever gone that way

I don't think so!

has an acquisition ever gone that way

Never in the 5 I have been a part of. There is always some overlap in areas. Not to mention some people just don't like it when it happens and leave on their own accord.

Never in the 5 I have been a part of. There is always some overlap in areas. Not to mention some people just don't like it when it happens and leave on their own accord.

A gentleman after my own heart; five “buyouts” and still ticking! :clapp:

A gentleman after my own heart; five “buyouts” and still ticking! :clapp:

Agreed, that is quite impressive.

On Cobra Facebook Home Page

On Cobra Facebook Home Page

Cobra We will continue to develop innovative, high performance golf clubs. There are no plans to develop any PUMA branded golf clubs. PUMA Golf will remain focused on developing high performance golf footwear per Cobra facebook page below.......

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

I am going to a Cobra demo today at Healy Point CC in Macon. I plan on hitting several different setups of the S2 driver. I have my own custom fitter friend that will be changing shafts in & out, different weighted heads, shaft lengths, etc. etc.

I'm looking forward to having some fun with this :banana:

Cobra We will continue to develop innovative, high performance golf clubs. There are no plans to develop any PUMA branded golf clubs. PUMA Golf will remain focused on developing high performance golf footwear per Cobra facebook page below.......

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

I am going to a Cobra demo today at Healy Point CC in Macon. I plan on hitting several different setups of the S2 driver. I have my own custom fitter friend that will be changing shafts in & out, different weighted heads, shaft lengths, etc. etc.

I'm looking forward to having some fun with this :banana:

We got an interesting call from the people at Cobra last night on the way to dinner. We have another call setup for early next week. I asked them point blank if they could comment on Puma speaking with 2 very highly respected club makers in the industry and the PR at Cobra did not know about it. You are right, on the Cobra golf Facebook page, they do not have any plans on making Puma equipment. However if that is the case, they would not be speaking with clubmakers.

When acquisitions come about, NOBODY knows exactly what is going to happen. But if you are a brand loyalist and want to assume that Cobra is going to be exactly the same, I am all for it. Have at it. The Cobra PR person talked about it similar to that of adidas purchasing Taylormade. And that is a good point and many came right over from Taylormade. HOWEVER, quite a few did not!!!!
People need to know both sides and here is another one. Puma was not only talking to Cobra before this purchase. They also attempted to purchase other equipment brands and were unsuccessful.

Nobody ever said that they would not continue to make high quality clubs. In fact we are all hoping that is going to be the case. We also hope the entire team goes with them to Puma, but in all the mergers and takeovers we have ever seen, that is just not the case. We will continue to update this from BOTH sides and not just facebook updates from Cobra.

Good stuff and I would not expect less from THP. Great site and most imformative ever on the internet. Keep up the great work and we will keep on loving it.

Thanks - Bill

We got an interesting call from the people at Cobra last night on the way to dinner. We have another call setup for early next week. I asked them point blank if they could comment on Puma speaking with 2 very highly respected club makers in the industry and the PR at Cobra did not know about it. You are right, on the Cobra golf Facebook page, they do not have any plans on making Puma equipment. However if that is the case, they would not be speaking with clubmakers.

I don't follow the logic in the above comment. Why wouldn't you consider it possible Puma is shopping for clubmakers to build Cobra clubs?

Re: cobra golf now puma

they can be to build both. it was in regards to cobra saying that the entire r&d team was moving with the sale. if that was the case they woujld not be interviewing lead club makers and designers.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

My demo day at a short glimpse

My demo day at a short glimpse

I start with a quick thank you to Chris Sullivan. A great Master Club fitter you can talk with on Cobra's Facebook page. Any questions what so ever he will get you an answer back. Great guy to say the least!

I had a blast at the Cobra Demo today at Healy Point CC in Macon, Ga.! Jay Baker did an excellant job describing the new equipment! I had a blast hitting the S2 with the different shafts etc. Great club! I got to have one!! Anthony at US Golf in Macon said he thought it would be a $40.00 - $50.00 upgrade for a custom shaft? I wish back when I had purchased the ZL driver, I would have had to opportunity to go to a Demo day. I bought the 10.5 off the rack and the ball flight was way too high for me. Today Jay handed me an 8.5 loft with a 85 gram reddish color voodoo shaft and I was killing it! I would still have that driver today if I had known what she could do!! WOW is all I got to say about that :eek:).... I love the S2 driver as well in the 9.5 and surprisingly the stock shaft was better than I anticipated... I am impressed to say the least. I also hit the new S2 irons , both regular and forged, both great products. I have some of those (regular) ordered from US golf in Macon and should receive them next week.

Thank you hooking me up with the Cobra demo day! I had a blast.....

I start with a quick thank you to Chris Sullivan. A great Master Club fitter you can talk with on Cobra's Facebook page. Any questions what so ever he will get you an answer back. Great guy to say the least!

I had a blast at the Cobra Demo today at Healy Point CC in Macon, Ga.! Jay Baker did an excellant job describing the new equipment! I had a blast hitting the S2 with the different shafts etc. Great club! I got to have one!! Anthony at US Golf in Macon said he thought it would be a $40.00 - $50.00 upgrade for a custom shaft? I wish back when I had purchased the ZL driver, I would have had to opportunity to go to a Demo day. I bought the 10.5 off the rack and the ball flight was way too high for me. Today Jay handed me an 8.5 loft with a 85 gram reddish color voodoo shaft and I was killing it! I would still have that driver today if I had known what she could do!! WOW is all I got to say about that :eek:).... I love the S2 driver as well in the 9.5 and surprisingly the stock shaft was better than I anticipated... I am impressed to say the least. I also hit the new S2 irons , both regular and forged, both great products. I have some of those (regular) ordered from US golf in Macon and should receive them next week.

Thank you hooking me up with the Cobra demo day! I had a blast.....

Update
The shaft I hit in the ZL yesterday was the Aldila Voodoo RVS7 with mid kick at 74 grams. Great shaft combo with 8.5 loft provided awesome trajectory if you are normally a high ball hitter.

THP has had the opportunity to speak with just about everybody that you would like to speak to about this acquisition and I want to give the readers more information as we always like to do.

- People should look at this very much like that of the adidas Golf purchase of Taylormade. Where both sides are working together for the same goal.
- As of now Cobra Golf will be the only hard goods maker of equipment in the Puma Golf company. While THP has heard other things, both sides are saying right now that for the immediate future, Cobra Golf will continue to be the hard goods maker.
- The purchase of Cobra Golf was for a lot of different things, but R&D and Staff were a major part of it and will continue to be that way for quite some time.
- While nobody knows what the future holds and with every merger changes take place, as of right now, the same R&D team will be in place.
- THP has heard that Puma was speaking to major club makers about coming on board, but will not go in that direction and stay with the Cobra Engineering team
- Puma will continue to work with soft goods and Cobra will be the hard goods company in this acquisition.
- The Cobra players (JB Holmes, IJP, & Villegas) will continue to carry Cobra Staff Bags.
- The Puma players (Fowler) has a separate deal with Titleist and is Puma sponsored. That will not change.
- The apparel contracts of those players are completely separate from the deal in place.
- There is no talk of Cobra making golf balls at this time.

As always, THP will continue to work hard and speak with both sides and give you the up to date information we get from all parties involved. We are scheduled to speak with both sides again very soon for even more information.

We also have a call into the club maker that met with Puma last month to find out what he has to say about the acquisition. Stay tuned for more.

Great news JB, thanks.

Back