Wilson Staff 8802 Milled Putter - THP Preview

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
As seen earlier on the forum, this year Wilson Staff is re-introducing one of the most iconic putter designs in golf, its 8802 putter. THP has been fortunate enough to get one in for a full homepage review and I'll be lucky enough to be putting it through its paces.

Not only is this release a milled version of possibly THE most well known putter design ever, but it also features a re-designed Head-Speed shaft which the originals were renowned for and those shafts still hold value and are looked for by many today.

The images we saw earlier from the company, as usually do it NO justice. Its an incredibly clean and eye catching package from the satin finish on the top to the polished finish on the sole, throw in some heavy milling, a gold/black/red paint scheme commemorating Wilson Staff's 100 year anniversary, and one of the nicest OEM putter covers in quite some time and its definitely a discussion starter.

As for the on course application though, that will be interesting to break down. One thing right out of the gates I wanted to see when getting it in hand was the face height, the ORIGINAL 8802 had a face height the size of a nickel, models after were taller, as for this Milled 8802 the face is roughly the height of a quarter. Not important to most, but to the true putter heads out there, I knew it would end up being asked. Will also be interesting to see if the sweet spot holds true to the VAST majority of 8802 styles and is inside of the center of the putter from address, or if it is in the true middle.

History of the 8802 Design:

1940 – Wilson introduces the R46 Willie Hoare putter. “A revolutionary putter with a different feel and a new grip. It has an unusually broad sole, giving it excellent balance.”
1948 – R46, Winsum putter Designed by Willie Hoare.
1950 – Stock numbers were changed and the R46 become the D8802.
1954 – Winsum putter Designed by Willie Hoare is changed to D8802 stock number.
1955 – A new Winsum putter is introduced. “This goose-neck putter features a brass head, flange back…”
1959 – New Turf Rider putter, with double ribbed sole is introduced with stock number D8802.
1960 – Four new brass putters are introduced, all with flared tip shafts. One of which is called simply Arnold Palmer and is “Designed By the world famous Arnold Palmer… brass head with Flared Tip shaft; beautiful calfskin grip.”
1961 – Another Turf Rider putter with double ribbed sole is introduced, maintaining the D8802 stock number.
1962 – The Designed By Arnold Palmer putter is introduced. Described as “Flanged type blade putter” and “Perfect head feel transmitted to the grip”, it is essentially the 8802 as we know it. Assigned stock number D8852.
1963 – Arnold Palmer leaves Wilson. On November 1st, the Designed By Palmer/D8852 putter is renamed The Wilson 8802 and renumbered to D8802.
1969 – Wilson “pro” club stock numbers are changed from D to R.
1971 – Wilson Staff putters have R stock numbers and Wilson putter have D stock numbers. The 8802 model gets a black chrome finish, but retains its D8802 designation.
1975 – Wilson re-introduces the original 8802 and changes the stock number to R8802.
2014 – Wilson Staff introduces the Milled 8802.

About the Milled 8802:

Continuing the great Wilson Staff heritage… The often imitated, but never duplicated, iconic design with updated technology and World Class performance.

Celebrates Wilson’s 100-year anniversary.

From the Designed by Arnold Palmer to the 8802 to today…The same elegant, timeless, heel shafted headshape with numerous major championship wins.

Milled from 304 stainless steel for the ultimate inprecision, feel and feedback.
Double milled face to be perfectly flat for true roll.

Modern head weight (335 grams) to work with today’s green speeds and ball construction.

Available in RH only at this time

True Temper Head Speed Shaft

• Stepless and fluted for outstanding feel.
  • Flared tip design “melts” into the hosel.
  • Shaft band based on the original design.

Lamkin 3GEN Smooth Pistol Grip

• Red with white Wilson Staff logo.
  • Smaller, “old school” pistol shape and size.
  • Lamkin's proprietary 3GEN material, their softest synthetic rubber compound which reduces vibration without dulling the feel of the putt.

In Hand Pics:
DSC_0449-L.jpg

DSC_0450-L.jpg

DSC_0421-L.jpg

DSC_0423-L.jpg

DSC_0422-L.jpg

DSC_0424-L.jpg

DSC_0425-L.jpg

DSC_0431-L.jpg

DSC_0430-L.jpg

DSC_0432-L.jpg

DSC_0433-L.jpg

DSC_0436-L.jpg

DSC_0437-L.jpg

DSC_0438-L.jpg

DSC_0439-L.jpg

DSC_0441-L.jpg

DSC_0442-L.jpg

DSC_0443-L.jpg

DSC_0444-L.jpg

DSC_0446-L.jpg

DSC_0447-L.jpg

DSC_0454-L.jpg

DSC_0455-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous pics, such a stunner!!!

Great pics...such a cool looking putter....and amazing headcover

• Staff
Gorgeous pics, such a stunner!!!

It really is, they did well going with satin AND polished chrome. No mass glare like the original 8802's.

That is purdy!!! That headcover looks great

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

• Staff
Great pics...such a cool looking putter....and amazing headcover

On that headcover note, it bears mentioning that this is a BLADE headcover, by that I mean a true blade, its smaller in size and length heel to toe than, say, our THP headcovers. I only say that because I think I remember a couple of people talking about just wanting the HC to game in the other thread.

This thing is just a drop dead stunner. Gotta have one.........period.

I think I would build or buy one of those putter racks like you see over a fire place or something for it and two others.

Great pics James.

JM

Such a beautiful putter.

It's painful that so few will be sold because few people play this head shape nowadays.

• Staff
Such a beautiful putter.

It's painful that so few will be sold because few people play this head shape nowadays.

I'm sure that W/S realized that going into this release as for the amount they produced. Plus, lets be honest, its pretty much THE most demanding putter design out there for a day to day gamer.

I honestly have no idea if I could game that head shape/style....but it's sooo purty that I really want to try.

wow that is purdy

Hey Jman...any thoughts on the new head speed shaft?

Great looking putter! I must have one. Must.

How's the grip James? Pretty close to a standard pistol? Is there an option for a Midsize?

Great googaly moogaly... That thing is pretty!!!

Beautiful. As someone who loves the Odyssey #8 design but can't find one to try maybe these will be easier.

I think my Dad used to own one of these back in the 70's!

JMan,
The best compliment I could give is that the quality of your work is equal to the quality of their work on this piece of art.Not sure whether I can putt with it or not. Just cool piece of metal and a great great head cover.

That is one good looking putter. I have games one similar before, but I don't think it was 8802.

Hey Jman...any thoughts on the new head speed shaft?

Been rolling it pretty much nonstop indoors today, so far, not many thoughts to be honest. The original is has a sort of, cult classic, following that has a TON to do with the flex point of the shaft and the feel that it gave through the stroke. They used to fetch a hefty sum for a solid pull with the original grip and some of the biggest names out there have been rumored to have used the 1950's putter shaft in their gamers at times.

I'm curious how much of this one is a nostalgia look, and how much is trying to recapture that allure/feel. The butt diameter is different I know, but the rest of the design I'm unsure of. Might need to do a little digging.

Great looking putter! I must have one. Must.

How's the grip James? Pretty close to a standard pistol? Is there an option for a Midsize?

Its the same as a midsize Iomic (Dan's favorite) which is really a pretty "standard" size in the US.

Beautiful. As someone who loves the Odyssey #8 design but can't find one to try maybe these will be easier.

I'm not sure what the planned availability of these are exactly, but it'll be interesting to see.

JMan,
The best compliment I could give is that the quality of your work is equal to the quality of their work on this piece of art.Not sure whether I can putt with it or not. Just cool piece of metal and a great great head cover.

Hahaha, well thank you for the kind words. Its a gorgeous setup, there is ZERO doubt about that.

That is one good looking putter. I have games one similar before, but I don't think it was 8802.

It and the Anser are undoubtedly the most mimic'd designs ever.

It seems they have been selling these in Europe and perhaps some other parts of the world for a little while so perhaps the number sold will be decent.Europe does seems to like Wilson Staff a lot more than we do perhaps until now. With this being their 100 anniversary they are re-making product in many sports. Baseball gloves, Tennis etc.
I'm sure that W/S realized that going into this release as for the amount they produced. Plus, lets be honest, its pretty much THE most demanding putter design out there for a day to day gamer.

It seems they have been selling these in Europe and perhaps some other parts of the world for a little while so perhaps the number sold will be decent.Europe does seems to like Wilson Staff a lot more than we do perhaps until now. With this being their 100 anniversary they are re-making product in many sports. Baseball gloves, Tennis etc.

I think alot of that over the pond "like" thing probably has a lot to do with so many here confusing Wilson (wal mart clubs) with Wilson Staff (high end clubs), its sad but true.

100% agree. I guess in a 100 year old business you will have some really bad ideas. I will say that I am so impressed with the quality of what Wilson Staff is doing with product, social media marketing and even today I saw TV spots that were classy. Now watch them do a 8802 VIZOR version
I think alot of that over the pond "like" thing probably has a lot to do with so many here confusing Wilson (wal mart clubs) with Wilson Staff (high end clubs), its sad but true.

Great looking putter!!

Be the ball!!

Going to get this one out on the putting green tomorrow, quite excited about it, though its been a LONG time since I've gamed an 8802 style blade.

Very cool looking putter very old school look

Back