Taking the Plunge on Lessons

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
So I know this comes up often as we talk about ways to improve our games, but I just want to talk a little bit about how valuable a lesson can be for your game..

This past year, I played some of the best golf of my life. I was hitting the ball extremely well, but I could sense as the season went along that my contact was slipping a bit. Rather than get a lesson, I let the year pass, and then proceeded to spend the first few months of this golf season full on struggling. Questionable iron contact, everything draw/hooking, and while I was able to keep it in the 70s, I was not really sniffing par.

Finally, I gave in and went to see the guy who has worked with my swing before. I'd call him 'my pro' because he's about the only guy that has seen the issues in my swing that allow me to transition back into competent ball striking. An hour session and a LOT of range time later, I am back to hitting the ball as well as I have ever made contact, and enjoying every second I am on the golf course.

I really wish I'd done it sooner, as I think finding the right pro to work with you and make sense of your swing is paramount. It makes the game a ton more fun, regardless of your current abilities. It's something I intend to do at the start of every golf season, and any time I feel like my swing is slipping a bit.

Just thought I'd share, and I am sure there are more people ready to share some awesome stories about a lesson changing the way they look at golf. GET LESSONS!!!!

Thanks for posting this, Dan. I can imagine that for someone with your talent and skill set, it's a healthy dose of your own pride to reach out for help. But if a guy of your level needs a hand up to get their game squared away, I think it speaks volumes of how much a bogey golfer can benefit from lessons and interactions with a coach to improve their game. I know I'm planning for at least one more tuneup before The Morgan Cup and try to soak up any information I can to go as low as possible next month.

It truly, truly, truly, truly makes a difference. More than any new club ever could.

My biggest regret is still playing this game 4 years before ever taking a lesson. Makes me think back on how much I could have accomplished even faster than figuring it out on my own.

Guessing and trying to fix things yourself is pretty tough. It is so great to have a guy that knows your swing and can get you back on track quickly.

It truly, truly, truly, truly makes a difference. More than any new club ever could.

My biggest regret is still playing this game 4 years before ever taking a lesson. Makes me think back on how much I could have accomplished even faster than figuring it out on my own.

Ditto ...

gave a serious go with lessons this year, committed to practice and to check in every 2 weeks with my instructor ... went from hoping I could break a 100 to "wanting and believing" I can now break 90 on occasion. Shot a 90 today with an 8 on one hole!

Like Jman I regret not committing to lessons sooner ... and I spent a LOT of cash on clubs ... almost embarrassing ... just can not "buy a game" with a club ...

I did learn that I did not "click" with all instructors ... I went through 2 before I found the guy that I could sync with ...

Thanks for sharing Dan and glad to hear your game is back where you want it. Lessons and fitting are definitely on my agenda once I know I am able to stay on the course consistently.

Great for you and your game I know they really helped my

reminds me i need to go back for a refresher

Thanks for posting this, Dan. I can imagine that for someone with your talent and skill set, it's a healthy dose of your own pride to reach out for help. But if a guy of your level needs a hand up to get their game squared away, I think it speaks volumes of how much a bogey golfer can benefit from lessons and interactions with a coach to improve their game. I know I'm planning for at least one more tuneup before The Morgan Cup and try to soak up any information I can to go as low as possible next month.

Actually man, it's really never been about pride for me. I had built a swing for 20 years before I got my first lesson, tooled around watching skilled golfers play and trying to repeat. I've had only a few really productive lessons on my full swing, and it's all come from the same individual, he's just tough to get out to see (used to be my club pro).

Most other pros I speak with locally don't seem to focus on what my guy sees as being obvious. I feel like the tires are just spinning and my time isn't being utilized well at all. Maybe it's a matter of trust, maybe it's a matter of just enjoying the fact that I've got a guy who can make my swing work.

I do think you're on the right track though.. There isn't a golfer in this world that doesn't benefit from getting lessons from someone they trust. Hell, how many pros don't have full time swing coaches for more than one part of their game?!

All the best in your next tune up dude!

So, I know I'm getting lessons this summer but had a question about approaching them.

Long story short, I've made some insane strides in my game just based on me knowing myself and making adjustments based on feel—I've gone from never breaking 100 to breaking 90. I thought I'd regress but I played today was even better (though in a scramble).

Part of me wants to improve at all costs (and get my handicap down to 18), and I know I need help to do it and am very willing to listen. Part of me, though, doesn't want to finally find a real groove but then voluntarily get out of it the second I find it.

So I'd like to get lessons but don't want to overhaul my swing—I know there are things that just don't work for me because I've tried them before. Fair way to interact with a pro? Wondering from some people who may have taken lessons from multiple pros or from those who teach.

So, I know I'm getting lessons this summer but had a question about approaching them.

Long story short, I've made some insane strides in my game just based on me knowing myself and making adjustments based on feel—I've gone from never breaking 100 to breaking 90. I thought I'd regress but I played today was even better (though in a scramble).

Part of me wants to improve at all costs (and get my handicap down to 18), and I know I need help to do it and am very willing to listen. Part of me, though, doesn't want to finally find a real groove but then voluntarily get out of it the second I find it.

So I'd like to get lessons but don't want to overhaul my swing—I know there are things that just don't work for me because I've tried them before. Fair way to interact with a pro? Wondering from some people who may have taken lessons from multiple pros or from those who teach.

I read "overhaul" and I think doing something crazy like going to the stack and tilt or some strict style of swing. The way I see it, our goal should be a neutral plane, with solid posture and lag built in properly. If you're needing an overhaul to get there, you'd probably benefit from it.

My suggestion, and it's an entirely personal one: Get with a coach who can explain to you what you're doing, and what you NEED to be doing to have a neutral plane swing. Find someone you can joke with, have fun with, and someone you genuinely understand. One who is willing to get swing update videos to make sure you're on the road to improvement.

All the best in your road to improvement rlewis!! It's an exciting time.

Dan nailed it, find someone you understand, that understands you, and you mesh with well. If you don't to start over, tell them, though most would much rather work with what you have and build from there than a ground up thing unless you are going S&T or something of that nature.

Taking the Plunge on Lessons

Rlewis - a good pro worth working with will ask you up front about your goals. If you find a pro that doesn't ask, only teaches one style/system and wants to overhaul, you need to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks—that's sort of what I was thinking but wanted feedback.

I have small indicators that allow me to play better (squaring up my shoulders for shorter iron hits, stuff like that) or mental approaches (which is why I'm hitting the driver better) that I'd love to build off of but don't want to completely throw away. I'm just hoping to find someone who can work with me on that.

Thanks again. Cheers

Rlewis - a good pro worth working with will ask you up front about your goals. If you find a pro that doesn't ask, only teaches one style/system and wants to overhaul, you need to run.

Yes—the first time I got lessons a few years ago, this was my experience. Just need to look hard for the right person. Thanks!

Good question ... as I mentioned, I went through 2 instructors before I found my guy ... they only knew one thing to teach it appeared to me ... their swing ... and it was theirs are the highway ... I took the highway ... my current instructor is older and believes we all have swing, and those swings should follow certain fundamentals ...

He had me swing, and never said ... "oh you hold the club all wrong" instead it was more a conversation ... how does that feel ... try moving your hands here ... see the ball flight changed because ...

or I swing and he stops me at the end and ask do you feel the tension in here ... lets try this ... now how did that feel ... did you see the ball flight did xyz we when changed that ...

Long story for don't hesitate to move on to different instructor if you don't feel comfortable with the instruction ...

Thanks for sharing that Dan, so great to hear your having fun on the course and enjoying it. It's so great to see people finding a great relationship with there instructor/Pro. I know me and my PGA Pro click pretty well and i can call and text him whenever I need some help or advice. He knows my game now especially after a great playing lesson and has really helped me and my game.

But keep it up Dan!!!

Thanks guys

The thought of you getting lessons is scary. It will be fun to see the results in person next month.

I'm considering some lessons but my only holdup is how to find a good instructor? There are literally hundreds in my area. I wouldn't know where to begin!

If you do find someone in the area that you like, please let me know. I'm looking too.

I'm considering some lessons but my only holdup is how to find a good instructor? There are literally hundreds in my area. I wouldn't know where to begin!

Is there a golf course that you normally play at or a driving range that you go to? You could always start there. Also, if you have normal playing partners, ask around to see if they've taken lessons from anyone that they like. Word of mouth is a good source of referrals for golf instructors.

T4K hit the nail on the head. My current instructor has told me that he asks that question to every student he teaches, and that his approach differs significantly when the answer is "I want to break 80 regularly" as opposed to the guy that says "I want to fix my driver slice before this weekend because I have my member-guest tournament coming up." Also, you have to find someone that can explain the golf swing to you in a way that you can understand, so that you know what you are trying to do when your instructor isn't around. Sounds simple, but it's not for some people.

Phone calls, emails, or head straight to the places where the instructors teach to meet them first hand. It's a very personal thing to find an instructor you can trust!

Phone calls, emails, or head straight to the places where the instructors teach to meet them first hand. It's a very personal thing to find an instructor you can trust!
and I would add if you can observe a lesson, and talk to other clients of the instructor too. That may help in the process

Wish everyone could see the transition Hawk has made in the past 3 years it's truly incredible.

Dedication and a good instructor can work miracles.

Dan,
I also have been on a quest to get better and after 3 lessons and a lot of range balls I see it is possible to achieve my goals of being more consistent and taking advantage of scoring situations from 170 yds. in. (hopefully for use) in team or match play golf events :)

It is really cool to see the changes when things come together, lessons and putting in the work pay off. Having access to the Annika Academy is very lucky for me, great people and a great facility to work from. I would highly recommend looking at a more established operation, the price is very similar to a Driving range pro and IMO the quality of Instruction is much higher.

If you do find someone in the area that you like, please let me know. I'm looking too.

Will do. Going to start near Green and go up to Hudson.

Back