Playing golf when your very tired or sick or.........

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
whatever else.
Your much too tired, or ill, hung over, not feeling well, or lack of sleep, whatever.
Whatever the reason its often one of those rounds you wish you never started. I've done this to myself occasionally. Look forward to playing, force myself to play, even be happy about it but only to then realize midway through I simply was just not in any good enough mind and body to play.

Most recently was after working a double shift and basically being up for over 1 and 1/2 days. Thought to take advantage of the time and weather and get out. But only to be too exhausted to maintain a consistent sawing and tempo. One of those times I knew I should have stayed home. You try to figure what your doing wrong as not much is working for any part. A little bit of good golf mixes in so I think its ok but what little good there is disappears and only pops up on occasion. After a while of getting beat up you finally realize your just out of it physically and mentally. Should have stayed home.

Not having the physical or mental energy (for me) just creates poor swinging and ball striking. and even throw in hot weather on top of it. How about you? Playing sick, or tired? Just not physically and/or mentally where you need to be for a round but you play anyway? is it bad? do you hold up well? Do you realize it was a mistake to play? Whatever you like to add about this.

I've had too many rounds like that this year and it's a shame. Golf is supposed to be fun but when you are feeling tired or have a physical issue it takes the joy out of it. When you're out there struggling and not enjoying it I say take time and step away. I'm retired so the old it's better than being at work doesn't apply to me. If ya not having fun then you're beating your self up.

Yeah, Day 6 of golf days in a row was one too many for me. Managed a decent score on the home treck grinding it out, but did not finish as well as I could have--really did not even feel like playing the last couple of holes at all.

I walked 18 holes 2 days ago after getting just over 2 hours of sleep. I went out there because it was the one day I had off from work this week. It ended up being a stupid idea because the temperatures were around 90 degrees that day, and while I didn't really feel all that bad when I was out there, I felt awful after my round was done. My body hasn't felt completely right since that day, I shouldn't have gone out there. I could have probably done it when I was in my 20s, but not now.

Playing when i am tired ends up with me frustrated i start not committing to shots and blocking the ball right

I've had too many rounds like that this year and it's a shame. Golf is supposed to be fun but when you are feeling tired or have a physical issue it takes the joy out of it. When you're out there struggling and not enjoying it I say take time and step away. I'm retired so the old it's better than being at work doesn't apply to me. If ya not having fun then you're beating your self up.

I wouldn't say so much that there is no fun at all, but just that my game never really quite gets going nor stands a chance at coming around with any consistency at all when feeling extra tired or a bit ill. I feel like its a wasted a round better saved for days when not feeling ill or too tired. One of the problems is that I just don't know for sure when the next round will come due to common time between weather and available free time so even though not feeling up to "par" I jump at the chance (like "arydolphin" says) to go even though it ends being better off I didn't. Some how convince myself I'm not too tired or ill but should be smatter and realize it.

I'm not old pushing 50 this year but I certainly am not 21 anymore. The stamina is just not the same. At 21 I could play hockey with a slight fever and barley lose a step but at 49 its no longer the same. Tired, overly fatigued, or even feeling a bit sick just screws up the mind, the tempo and the swing in general. Just doesn't do any good being out there.

I work in IT ... I have learned when we are upgrading the systems at night not to book a tee time the next day ... like you say, its just not as much fun, and my score suks!

I wouldn't say so much that there is no fun at all, but just that my game never really quite gets going nor stands a chance at coming around with any consistency at all when feeling extra tired or a bit ill. I feel like its a wasted a round better saved for days when not feeling ill or too tired. One of the problems is that I just don't know for sure when the next round will come due to common time between weather and available free time so even though not feeling up to "par" I jump at the chance (like "arydolphin" says) to go even though it ends being better off I didn't. Some how convince myself I'm not too tired or ill but should be smatter and realize it.

I'm not old pushing 50 this year but I certainly am not 21 anymore. The stamina is just not the same. At 21 I could play hockey with a slight fever and barley lose a step but at 49 its no longer the same. Tired, overly fatigued, or even feeling a bit sick just screws up the mind, the tempo and the swing in general. Just doesn't do any good being out there.

Trust me the older you get the harder it is to bounce back from those decisions to tough it out. Your body has a way of letting you know that it was not in agreement with your mind. Your mind chose to play golf, your body said ok dude but I'll have my say at the end of the day.

I need to remember to eat a good breakfast and stay hydrated - that's more troublesome than being tired or sick. If I don't eat and take snacks, in starving mid round and can feel the fatigue coming on.....mental and physical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a day like this today. Stiff shoulder in the morning so I took some pretty strong anti inflammatory meds and headed to the course hoping to play well. I got there and hit some shots on the range, chipped and putted for a while and felt ok but not great. The wind was picking up and by the time I teed off it was howling. 8 holes in I had had enough and just wasn't up to fighting the course and conditions for the rest of the round so excused myself from the game and went home. Doesn't happen often thankfully.

Trust me the older you get the harder it is to bounce back from those decisions to tough it out. Your body has a way of letting you know that it was not in agreement with your mind. Your mind chose to play golf, your body said ok dude but I'll have my say at the end of the day.

hahaha, funny
but unfortunately very true.

I am beginning to see this with a lot of things, not just golf. Some of it is my own fault for not eating right and being heavier than I should be. My wife and I were recently laughing at some photos from 20 years ago and "where have my six-pack abs went??" I said they're still there, you just have to dig for them :). But your right and that's exactly what happened, the mind said yes and the body went along but in the end it had the say.

I always skip when I'm not into it, but in the past I've played when I was sick. Not a fun experience. XD

I must be the exception as being a little tired seems to slow my transition and help my tempo.

I've played many rounds when I was far to tired to be of any use. It's just simply frustrating and I just wonder why I even bothered. It can also take me a while to get my body lose and ready if I drive over 2 hours for a round.

I'm going to play next Tuesday a 4 round golf marathon. What my problem is that I'm going to have to work until 1 or 2 am the night before. Our first round tee time is 4:30 AM, so it's a 1-2 hour sleep after a 10-12 hour work day. Because of the kids I'll wake up 6-7 AM, go to work at 11-12 AM, work until 01-02 AM next night, sleep 1-2 hours in my car and then play golf for 16 hours. I might regret it at one point or another.

This is what pros feel like on Sunday morning, if they have given their all from Tuesday to Saturday. Pros have to find a way to perform after not pacing themselves or if they are sick. Their income depends on it.

too old to play Hung over recovery time is not what it once was, I have been all stuff up & congested for the last 2 weeks & it has been tough.

I'm going to play next Tuesday a 4 round golf marathon. What my problem is that I'm going to have to work until 1 or 2 am the night before. Our first round tee time is 4:30 AM, so it's a 1-2 hour sleep after a 10-12 hour work day. Because of the kids I'll wake up 6-7 AM, go to work at 11-12 AM, work until 01-02 AM next night, sleep 1-2 hours in my car and then play golf for 16 hours. I might regret it at one point or another.

Good luck with that. Hope you manage to play well and not fall asleep between shots.

I've played quite a bit when I was both sick...tired...hungover...whatever. I actually play a little better when I'm tired or hungover. I guess it forces me to focus more, and I don't have the energy to swing out of my shoes (there's a lesson there somewhere).

When I'm sick though...nothing ever good comes from when I am sick. I could be the biggest baby on the planet when I am sick, and prefer not to move off the couch.

This is what pros feel like on Sunday morning, if they have given their all from Tuesday to Saturday. Pros have to find a way to perform after not pacing themselves or if they are sick. Their income depends on it.

I don't think that's quite the same thing. I too and I assume many here perform at work whether or not tired or sick etc...since our income depends on it.
Unlike most of us their joy is their work. They also are use to it. We (most) play golf as recreation and hobby in addition to our work and responsibilities. We use golf as a means of getting away from those things. There is a big difference with that imo. . But I am sure many times many of them have not placed well due to being sick or very tired. I think you'd be fooling yourself if you don't think that happens. Happens to football players, baseball players, any pro sport. Guys get the flu and they have a bad week. There are exceptions but they too are human. I wonder through the years how many have lost 1st, 2nd third place or a lot of money placing in any event due to being sick or too tired. You just wouldn't know.

I played hung over a few times, doesn't bother me. I just get easily annoyed. Hate playing when sick but seems to happen once a year.

As long as I can stay hydrated, I don't mind playing hung over. Sick - a completely different story. Lack of sleep - I go play anyway.
I wish my golf buddies had the same mentality - they never play hung over, or if they do, they leave at the turn.

Back