UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
I noticed a TGC ad regarding a conversational show with the professionals (apparently without David Duval) that have shot a 59 in tournament play. An interesting question was asked--who shot the best 59. In my opinion it would be those shot by Annika and Al Geiberger. Much like, Chuck Yeager, they were the first to break the barrier. They made the history so to speak.

I've never understood how one 59 can be better than another 59. It's the same exact score and it's equally hard to do.

I've never understood how one 59 can be better than another 59. It's the same exact score and it's equally hard to do.

59 is amazing regardless.

With that said, two of the 59s from that show are on the Greenbrier course, which is Par 70. So -11 instead of -13.

I think those shot on par 72 are more impressive than par 70 or 71. But we are kind of splitting hairs here. It's like debating perfect games for baseball. Sure you can nit pick on things, but at the end of the day all are one hell of an accomplishment.

If the yardage is similar, what's the difference whether it's par 70 or 72.

If the yardage is similar, what's the difference whether it's par 70 or 72.

One is -11 while the other is -13.

#MathSkillz

59 is amazing regardless.

With that said, two of the 59s from that show are on the Greenbrier course, which is Par 70. So -11 instead of -13.

I think those shot on par 72 are more impressive than par 70 or 71. But we are kind of splitting hairs here. It's like debating perfect games for baseball. Sure you can nit pick on things, but at the end of the day all are one hell of an accomplishment.

I guess I'm not sure why it really matters whether it's Par 70 or Par 72. In the end you take the same amount of strokes to get there.

Personally if there is any comparisons to make, I'd look more towards total yardages of the courses (which I honestly don't have a clue what the yardages are that the 59's were shot at). Just my opinion though.

All courses are not created equal and all rounds are not created equal. Duval's being in a final round and the fact that he won the event certainly adds something for me. Then again some of the 63s shot in majors are probably more impressive than a 59 at PGA West.

One is -11 while the other is -13.

#MathSkillz

But are both 59 strokes. Some Tour courses turn par 5's into par 4's. That doesn't change anything other than a pretty arbitrary number. I'd say the people who didn't accomplish it with LCP have a claim at the 'better' 59, but not what the course's par is.

I thought both Annika's and Duval's were epic, absolutely no slight intended towards the others because they are all incredible rounds, but those two for some reason were just exhibitions in near perfect golf.

I look at Paul Goydos putting up 59 on a very rain soaked TPC Deere Run as a little less monumental I guess, but that's not to say its still not a huge accomplishment. Hell, I think Stricker put up a 60 on the same day. Easy course + LCP + super soft greens = a perfect setup for something really low like that.

That said, making those putts when you know what's going on has to be incredibly nervy.

But are both 59 strokes. Some Tour courses turn par 5's into par 4's. That doesn't change anything other than a pretty arbitrary number. I'd say the people who didn't accomplish it with LCP have a claim at the 'better' 59, but not what the course's par is.

If I'm Annika, I'm telling Stuart Appleby, "Great 59. I've been -11 about a dozen times in my career, too." And then drop the mic and walk off stage.

If I'm Annika, I'm telling Stuart Appleby, "Great 59. I've been -11 about a dozen times in my career, too." And then drop the mic and walk off stage.

Well, if I were Annika I'd just show him my trophy room lol.

I look at Paul Goydos putting up 59 on a very rain soaked TPC Deere Run as a little less monumental I guess, but that's not to say its still not a huge accomplishment. Hell, I think Stricker put up a 60 on the same day. Easy course + LCP + super soft greens = a perfect setup for something really low like that.

That said, making those putts when you know what's going on has to be incredibly nervy.

Obviously a 59 is a huge deal regardless. Nerves are there.

Watching the Web.com guys all melt down yesterday afternoon is an illustration of how hard golf is to play at that level. I couldn't imagine trying for a 59.

Heck, my hands were shaking after I was -4 after eight holes one round. It's insane.

that's kind of what I am saying. 59 is a a hell of an accomplishment. But I don't think it's impossible to say one is better than then other. Miller's 63 at Oakmont in the final round of a US OPEN is better than the 63 Dufner shot at Oak Hill in round 2 of the PGA Championship. Both 63's, both great rounds, both major tournamnets, however IMO Miller's would rank higher.

that's kind of what I am saying. 59 is a a hell of an accomplishment. But I don't think it's impossible to say one is better than then other. Miller's 63 at Oakmont in the final round of a US OPEN is better than the 63 Dufner shot at Oak Hill in round 2 of the PGA Championship. Both 63's, both great rounds, both major tournamnets, however IMO Miller's would rank higher.

No disagreement there for sure. I think the course and the setting definitely play a big part in it.

"I agree."

-- Johnny Miller

To Hawk's point, the Greenbrier is 7287 yds. Since distance isn't what keeps a pro from shooting a number (accuracy and putting is) I think par isn't really the right measure. Difficulty of green complexes, tightness of course might make one more impressive than another, but they're all friggin' impressive!

saying the course's par rating doesn't matter is kinda silly in my opinion. That's like saying a 3 on a par 3, is the same as a 3 on a par 4 or par 5...which is to say, it's not even remotely.

What about Jim Furyk haven't heard anything about him in here. I am guessing him and David Duval were to busy to make this??

saying the course's par rating doesn't matter is kinda silly. That's like saying a 3 on a par 3, is the same as a 3 on a par 4 or par 5...which is to say, it's not even remotely.

161 is the new 59 - just sayin'

Breaking 60 is breaking 60, doesn't matter who or the course, you went out and played a great round IMO.

161 is the new 59 - just sayin'

Breaking 60 is breaking 60, doesn't matter who or the course, you went out and played a great round IMO.

haha, hey listen...and this debate is like arguiing which super model is hotter...when they're all out of this world...but if asked to make a judgement, even if i'm not remotely qualified since i can't even dream of hitting a 59...ya gotta go with the strokes under par. I can't even play devil's advocate against it.

Back