I would say no. A score of -13 would be a tougher feat because they didn't have the extra par 5's, however 59 strokes is 59 strokes. The par value doesn't mean anything.

Par value doesn't mean anything? Really?

I would say no. A score of -13 would be a tougher feat because they didn't have the extra par 5's, however 59 strokes is 59 strokes. The par value doesn't mean anything.

So what if it was a par 66?

You keep saying -13 but then say par value doesn't mean anything. You are contradicting yourself with your argument as -13 is just a relationship to par.

How am I contradicting myself?

Shooting a -13 on a Par 70 would be 57, I'd say that's a tougher feat than a 59.

How am I contradicting myself?

Shooting a -13 on a Par 70 would be 57, I'd say that's a tougher feat than a 59.
By saying par doesn't mean anything when -13 is just the relationship to par.

Par value doesn't mean anything? Really?

The Par value isn't going to change how many strokes it takes me to get it into the hole on a 400 yard hole. It could be a par 5 or a par 3, it will still take me a certain number of strokes to get it in the hole.

Now I'm not 100% and I love the debate but a par 70 typically has 2 fewer par 5s correct? So with the PGA Tour par 5 scoring average lower with the relationship to par than the par 4s. Wouldn't the par 70 59 be a tougher feat?

By saying par doesn't mean anything when -13 is just the relationship to par.

You were talking about scoring averages for par 5's and then went on to talk about 59 being on a par 70 being a tougher feat.

My point was that shooting -13 on a par 70 (which would be a score of 57 strokes), would be a tougher feat than shooting a 59. As I thought you were alluding to ATL's point about -13 total score with regards to the whole scoring average information for the 2 extra par 5's.

In my post I mentioned that 59 strokes is 59 strokes.

You were talking about scoring averages for par 5's and then went on to talk about 59 being on a par 70 being a tougher feat.

My point was that shooting -13 on a par 70 (which would be a score of 57 strokes), would be a tougher feat than shooting a 59. As I thought you were alluding to ATL's point about -13 total score with regards to the whole scoring average information for the 2 extra par 5's.

In my post I mentioned that 59 strokes is 59 strokes.

I got ya, I totally agree that 59 is a 59. Also the debate is fun but for a bunch of that have been close to a 59 (on 9 holes) to knock someone's 59 because it was played on a par 70 is ridiculous. The par 5s are the scoring holes everyone knows that. You are eliminating two of their best looks at an eagle, a quick -2. You now have to birdie 2 par 4 to get that same -2. Now idk about all the 59s out there and honestly I've never sat and thought nah that 59 wasn't that impressive. But if I was going to pick one why not Furyks? Isn't he the only 59 with a bogey on the card?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I feel that 59 is a 59 and it's a different thing than -11 or -13. Just like an ace is a different thing than an albatross. Or an ace compared to an eagle. Each performance is a great thing, but when somebody shoots 59 I don't think how many shots under par it is, it's 59. When somebody shoots -10, I don't think hey, that's 61 or 62, I see it as -10, which is awesome.

I agree with Ryan and Ddec. 59 is 59 is 59....unless it's on an executive course that is a par 60.

But still why don't they look at the other 59's or 58's. Guess they only care about the PGA Tour and the LPGA Tour.

That's right. Why? Because PGA and LPGA setups are the standard for tough course setups.

A guy on the web.com tour shooting 59 is not as impressive as on the PGA tour. PGA tour courses are harder and setup much harder. You constantly hear web.com players saying that.

One could certainly make the argument that the European tour has courses and setups that are the equal of the PGA and I'm quite sure that's true. In fact, given the weather conditions, they can often be harder. However, winning on the PGA tour is still the bar to which all professional golfers aspire, so that becomes the defacto bar for 59's. Pressure comes into that. PGA tour events typically have large galleries, large TV audiences and the world's best competition, so the pressure is enhanced.

59 is 59, its an elusive number to get after and I applaud those that have done it. I applaud a 58 even louder by our men from Japan, Shigeki Maruyama and Ryo Ishikawa. A 59 on a par 70 is more impressive because of the length of the course and two few par 5s. I don't hold one 59 over another and I'd take one either way.

My thought is that 59 58 is amazing and I will applaud them for the same amount. Maybe Annika a little more because she is the only female that has gotten that. Wouldn't be surpised if Michelle Wie get's one.
That's right. Why? Because PGA and LPGA setups are the standard for tough course setups.

A guy on the web.com tour shooting 59 is not as impressive as on the PGA tour. PGA tour courses are harder and setup much harder. You constantly hear web.com players saying that.

One could certainly make the argument that the European tour has courses and setups that are the equal of the PGA and I'm quite sure that's true. In fact, given the weather conditions, they can often be harder. However, winning on the PGA tour is still the bar to which all professional golfers aspire, so that becomes the defacto bar for 59's. Pressure comes into that. PGA tour events typically have large galleries, large TV audiences and the world's best competition, so the pressure is enhanced.

Wade, I have played both setups and there is very little difference in the setups between the Web.com and PGA. That is one of the reasons more are coming from Web.com to the tour then before.

I played Sahalee last week and it's no harder than Stoneridge in Blanchard Idaho. I was up in Seattle for a funeral.. Just saying

I've never understood how one 59 can be better than another 59. It's the same exact score and it's equally hard to do.

I agree. Why does anything have to be so over thought.......

Wade, I have played both setups and there is very little difference in the setups between the Web.com and PGA. That is one of the reasons more are coming from Web.com to the tour then before.

Fair enough Freddie - you certainly have more experience with that than I. I have heard web.com guys say it. Perhaps it was more true years ago.

I don't think it's being over thought. I think it's a fun discussion. There is nothing wrong with ranking the top rounds of 59 shot on the tour. Just like there is nothing wrong with ranking any of Tiger's 14 Major Championship victories if one chooses to do so.

I tend to agree with those that suggest a 59 is a 59 in a tour event and quite the accomplishment regardless of who shot it. But in terms of golf history, for lack of a better way of stating it, Annika' and Al's have added significance to me because they were the first to do so.

Back