Irons vs Hybrids.... your choice, why?

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
I know there is a lot of advertising that hybrids are easier to hit and more accurate, but like most things GOLF, I think it's all in the eye of the hitter. I personally prefer irons. I hit them further and consistently more accurate than hybrids; especially off the turf. To date I have managed my game around my driver and my 5 iron... occasionally 3 wood, from the Tee, and my 5 has been my longest iron in my bag. Today I changed that. Since I consistently hit a 5 iron around 190 off the tee and 175-80 off the turf, and since I love the way it feels, I decided to put a JumboMax on my 4 iron and put it in the bag and see if I can get the same control as I have on my five, with 15 or so yards more distance. Maybe I just haven't given the hybrid enough of a chance. I do warm up with them on the range, but I've never had any consistency. If I need more than 200 yard off the turf, I go with a 3 wood, else I have been using the 5 iron.

I like hybrids. I love the HB3 hyron set. I have issues hitting long irons, and the hybrid keeps me from having to address it!

Depends on gaps. I hit long irons pretty well. But with the ease of use of hybrids I wonder why I wouldn't play am iron replacement.

Irons because they offer greater control and shot options than hybrids (for me).

My Ping G25 20 and 23 degree hybrids were game changers for me. So much easier to hit, so much more forgiving, and the distance is definitely there.

It's hybrids for me. They are just so damn easy to hit from a bunch of different lies. I use 3&4 but considered a 5 sometime. On the fence because I hit my 5i well most of the time

Hybrids have always been clubs that I have not found a way to not hook wildly so I go through 5 iron then add either a 7 wood or 4 iron to fill the gap to my 5 wood.

I always carry a 3H and either the 4H or the 4I depending on how deep the rough is at the course I am playing.

Last edited:
Hyrons ftw!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stick to the irons for one reason, lessening the effect of a miss.

When I miss with my 4i it's a thinned bullet that goes quite far and straight or a low hook that dies in the rough. When I miss with my 4 hybo the ball hooks so far left that it's OB, in the water, or so far into the jungle that a Jaguar couldn't find it.

I currently carry a 4 hybrid, but I could see myself going with a 5 hybrid and maybe even a6 hybrid one of these days.

I've been a staunch "the iron set starts at a 5i at the highest" guy, but I'm starting to rethink. Depending on the set it might make sense for me to carry a 5h.

I have always had a problem hooking hybrids so I have not gamed one for over 5 years. The closest thing to a hybrid in my bag is an 18* Callaway Utility Prototype and it is my go to club when I must hit the FW.

Hybrids. Reliability.

I know this is going to go against the norm as most will say Hybrids have been the better choice. Its been discussed before in the same light. But like some of you I too prefer the irons. I hit them better plain and simple. I tried hybs and even with lessons mixed in I just couldn't game them even close to as well as my irons. I went with them because everyone had me so convinced they were much easier and was the way of the future for the average hacker. All I did was waste a whole lot of rounds and end up with my irons back in the bag again. One of which is my 4i which I really love especially for layup tee shots on shorter holes.

As "armygolf" mentioned about the misshit I agree about it being more survivable with my 4iron vs the hybrid. that was also a good point.

I don't need to play lower than a 4 hybrid as I just hit them too dang far. Plus I hit my 5 iron very well. For others, use as many of what works for you as possible.

I don't need to play lower than a 4 hybrid as I just hit them too dang far. Plus I hit my 5 iron very well. For others, use as many of what works for you as possible.
#BigHitterProblems

I have a 20* hybrid as a three iron replacement, I don't hit a three iron enough to stay as consistent as I would like to be with an iron.

The 3 iron is out for sure no need to even mrs with it i waffle between the 4i and 4H the 4H is in the bag for now i might get a TM UDI when they hit the market

I have a 20.5 hybrid that replaces my 3 iron that I absolutely love. Nice towering shots from the fairway, easier contacts when in the rough and nice low punch shots when I have trees to navigate. That said, I also love my 4 iron, so that's going nowhere.

Cobra bio cell Hybrids have been taking over my bag. I have dropped my 5 wood and replaced my 4I, 5I, and 6I's. I hesitated on the 6I but I am hitting the hybrids so well I decided why not. So far this has been a great move. The Hybrids have instilled more confidence in me then I have ever had before, In addition the removal of the 5 wood has made room for the remake of my lower end of the bag. I have been obsessing over wedges and have decided to go with Scor Golf's lineup. I love their philosophy and the reviews from fellow THP'ers convinced me. The only question is do I also replace my PW and 9I with Scor wedges because of the versatility (I am leaning yes). Then once I have my yardages down I wills ell my complete G25's and purchase and individual 7I & 8I with whatever fills in the gaps best. I am stoked about adding another scoring club.

For the 3 & 4 iron slot, I play hybrids. I simply get more consistent distance and direction out of them than their respective irons. If I were to take a 4 iron and a 4 hybrid and take 20 shots with each of them at a target 190 yards away, I'd get closer to my intended target more often with the hybrid.

So why stop at a 4? Because from the 5 on down, I feel comfortable and confident I can get close enough to what I'm aiming at, and I generally hit irons higher and with more spin. So since I'm pretty confident I'll get the distance and direction I want, I would like to get the ball to spin and settle as much as possible at that yardage.

For me it's hybrids on the long end of the bag (3 and 5 hybrid). My reason is two fold - 1) they are easier to hit compared to a longer iron and 2) I'm rarely going for a green from 190-225 yds (unless it's a long par 3) so I just need to keep the ball in front of me and set myself up for a good follow up shot.

I am wondering what the logic is for that bold part above as being one of the reasons.
If you are 190 out you would use a 5iron to go for the green but using the 5 hyb means your not going for the green? If they are (for you) easier to hit then why wouldn't it serve that purpose even more? Sorry but I'm probably misunderstanding what you are saying. Thanks in advance for explaining more on that.

I play a 2hybrid that I hit long and is generally my back up off the tee on tight holes, I will use it for going at par 5's in two occasionally. I also carry a 4i that I use from the tee/fairway/rough to go at a pin or lay up.

I'd really like to pick up a 3iron and see if it knocks out the hybo.

lately I've been getting more and more fond of my 4 iron, and I really love a well-struck 4 or 5 iron ball, it just feels so good, but a hybrid is so much easier the majority of the time..

Back