Irons vs Hybrids.... your choice, why?

I like hybrids. I love the HB3 hyron set. I have issues hitting long irons, and the hybrid keeps me from having to address it!

I've been playing the Cleveland HB3 Hybrid iron set for over a year now.....love the greater distance (approx. 10 yards + per club) trajectory and accuracy. Have no plans to hit traditional irons again unless they're super game improvement "quasi-hybrids" like Adams Idea or A12OS hybrid set. Although I have read and heard good things about the Ping Karsten set which are more traditional...

I play 4H, then irons. I hit my 4 iron pretty well usually, but I'm just incredibly comfortable and confident with the 4h so I use it more often.

I'm at 4hy and then irons up from there.

But, I will have a 5hy this year post MC. Its going to happen.

I like them both. My 4 iron is easy to hit gives a good flight and can hold a green but I also have no desire to play a 3 iron so that is when I drop into my hybos.

I love hybrids. I have 5 of them but I generally only have 4 in my bag at one time

I tried a 3 hybrid a while back and immediately swapped out the 3 iron for it. Higher and more consistent flight. Much easier to hit. Have since swapped out the 4 and 5 irons for hybrids of the same brand and type (TEE Trilogy). Couldn't be happier.

The only shot I can't hit with a hybrid is the low scuttler from under a tree that I used to use a 3/4 iron for. A 6 iron off the back foot works well enough though.

The hybrids can climb a bit too high when hitting into the wind but that is a minor issue against all of the positives.

I have actually taken my hybrid out and gone back to the 3i. I just seamed to hit it better and straighter. It is probably just that im not hitting my hybrid properly.

To be honest, when I got my first hybrid, I had to get a lesson on how to hit it. After that, the hybrid has become a club that I really like in the bag. They are a very versatile club. I tend to use the hybrid more off the tee and out of the rough now days and the long irons from only the fairways.

I really enjoy the long irons much more than a hybrid, I think they offer me a little more flexibility with trajectory. I'll eventually go to hybrids but for now give me the knives.

I had a 4h in my bag, but I ended up swapping it back out with the 4i that came with my set. I worked on it a bit at the range, and I found that I hit it better off of turf or tee better than the 4h once I got comfortable with it. Plus, I tend to be in the rough a lot around trees since I'm not consistent with my driver yet. I can hit a low punch shot far better with the iron than I can with the hybrid.

I'd have more hybrids if I could. More ball speed, more consitent contact, more forgivness on a variety of misses.

I swapped out my 5W and 4i for hybrids this year and I'm loving them, especially the 4i replacement. So easy to hit. I do generally hit my 5i well though, so not sure I'll add any more.

When my swing is good (rarely) I prefer long irons. I'm just more comfortable standing over them. I've played more and more with hybrids and am coming around on them though.

I play hybo's, but at the top of my bag, I have actually chosen a 7 wood instead of a Hybrid or long iron.

I play both.

I play a 4 iron and a 3 hybrid. I have put a 4 hybrid in my bag, but my i20 4 iron is 8/10 times flat out money. I can punch out with it better than a hybrid and it is a great fairway finder off of the tee box for me.

to me it depends on which type of irons you are playing. If you have more of a SGI iron or something more forgiving I think they are still very benefical. If you have something a little more complicated to hit or you want something with some more playability and options then you go with a hybrid. It all comes down to the need

I hate long irons and hybrids both.

Back in the day I used to be pretty money with the hybo, now not so much so I hit the iron as I know my miss will be in front of me still, whereas the hybo miss is right and potentially trouble

I'd have more hybrids if I could. More ball speed, more consitent contact, more forgivness on a variety of misses.

This sums it up pretty good for me. Plus they allow more opportunities for my THP headcovers hehe.

I'm at 4hy and then irons up from there.

But, I will have a 5hy this year post MC. Its going to happen.

I have a 4H right now and then a 5I in my bag, but I'm considering going 5H soon. I can hit my 4H higher than my 5I and get it to land softer, when you would think that it should be the other way around with the 5I having more loft. However, the issue that I have with some hybrids is that my normal shot shape is a draw and some hybrids, especially in higher lofts, can accentuate that miss.

I have a 4H right now and then a 5I in my bag, but I'm considering going 5H soon. I can hit my 4H higher than my 5I and get it to land softer, when you would think that it should be the other way around with the 5I having more loft. However, the issue that I have with some hybrids is that my normal shot shape is a draw and some hybrids, especially in higher lofts, can accentuate that miss.

Adding a 5h to my bag has been huge. High and soft 185 yards with an easy swing.

Finding a 5h that I can keep straight has been my struggle. It is such an attractive club to have because the distance is great and the height is there, but it doesn't do me any good at all when my misses are so penal.

It's a constant search. Obviously a swing thing, but there are options that are better than others for me.

I personally envy all of you who can hit long irons well. I simply cannot and choose to bag a 4h and 2h. I am super confident with them and feel like I can hit them well off any (half respectable) lie. They are also money off the tee on long par 3's or short par 4's and I do feel like I can still go after a pin with a hybrid.

I am jealous of anyone who can stripe a 4 iron 220 yards but I swallowed my pride a long time ago when it came to long irons.

I definitely prefer the hybrids over the long irons, but how far am I really willing to go with that? I carry a 3 and 4 hybrid, I just started carrying them this season and my bag will probably always have them for now on.

I have always had a problem hooking hybrids so I have not gamed one for over 5 years. The closest thing to a hybrid in my bag is an 18* Callaway Utility Prototype and it is my go to club when I must hit the FW.
I play an 18° TM R11 Rescue and replaced my 4-iron with the 21° Callaway Utility Prototype which is a magical club. Combination hybrid/driving iron/iron that you can hit from tee, FW and rough with great results and provides much more feel than a standard hybrid. It's also the best club for that little bump and run shot that I could never get comfortable with using my TM hybrid.

Why do I play these clubs? Because I can hit shots, mainly from the rough, that I could never hit with a 3 and 4 iron. I like hitting long irons but there's no way I could hit a shot from 235 out of the rough and have it stop on the green like I can with my 18° hybrid.

Last edited:
As my swing slowed due to age I had a harder time getting the long irons airborne. I had carried a two iron for many years and often used for tee shots and fairway shots when the turf was hard and fast.

Now I have 3, 4, and 5 hybrids in the bag. I find them much easier to launch high and get carry that I can no longer get with the irons. I actually hit the 5 hybrid higher than my 6 jron.

Back