UK Summer Cup 2014 - Details

Getting close, looking forward to meeting new faces, did we decide on some team head wear, I seem to think it was mentioned quite a while back, or was that our team name?

Its an age thing, I forget things, who are you again, Nurse, its gone dark....

Who said that?

I distinctly remember something about having boats on our heads.. But that seems unpractical.. Or do we need one for hitting balls out of the water?

If the weather today is anything to go by, we'll be sailing round. :)

Hi de Hi Campers!

I can confirm that on Saturday - there was some proper rain. It was our Gents invitational, and I got absolutely drenched. Weather was weird though - from thunder storms to brilliant sunshine in seconds...

Walked 27 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday - necessitating buckets of Peroni in between for fuelling purposes...:beat-up:

Some late schedule tweaks from our internationals - but I think we are all sorted now.

I am still looking for someone to drop the Dane at Heathrow on Monday night - so if anyone is heading that way, please speak up!

Hi de Hi Campers!

I can confirm that on Saturday - there was some proper rain. It was our Gents invitational, and I got absolutely drenched. Weather was weird though - from thunder storms to brilliant sunshine in seconds...

Walked 27 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday - necessitating buckets of Peroni in between for fuelling purposes...:beat-up:

Some late schedule tweaks from our internationals - but I think we are all sorted now.

I am still looking for someone to drop the Dane at Heathrow on Monday night - so if anyone is heading that way, please speak up!
The Swedette is traveling that way, but to the other airport.. Check with her!

The Swedette is traveling that way, but to the other airport.. Check with her!

She is going to be tight for time - M25 is a lot of fun anytime. Charlie might be available - depending on whether he is heading home or somewhere else for work..

Reserved for Team News

Teams Now Complete

1. The Swedette, Shark St Moritz, BigMacclarron, Ice (Rob)
2. The Doctor, Canny Carl, John 'El Jefe'
3. Will_I_Dream, Peroni Nick, Baileys (Martin)
4. Strawboater, Mizuno Blue, Almdudler, El B
5. The Dane, Preston Preston, Sam 'The Outfit'

Just a reminder of teams...

3 balls will go out first - as 4 balls will obviously be a wee bit slower! In terms of order...the Strawboaters will go out last - just so that I can give you all a good firm encourage off the first tee:banana:. That makes St Moritz and his sharks penultimate group.

Lead group has to be Will_I_Dream's - as Bailey's will be desperate to get to the bar and buy everyone several beers and call everyone a lightweight.

Then we get the Doctor and his 3 wood out there

Followed by the Dane

So:

Will_I_Dream
The Doctor
The Dane
The Swedette
Strawboater

As previously mentioned, a fast game is a happy game. Weather looks predominantly OK - with a chance of some liquid sunshine on Sunday. As per Geo's report - the rough is sticky and good at hiding balls - so let's not be scared of hitting provisionals.

There are never ever enough photos - so please bring your cameras along and take some "Action Shots" - Almdudler's graceful swing, The Doctor's game face, El Bandito on the beach - all things of outstanding natural beauty.

To those that have been before - I look forward to seeing you all again - to those who are coming first time - WELCOME! The clue is in the name,
THE HACKERS PARADISE UK Summer Cup.

This is all about having fun.

Shoot 72 if you can. (Try to do better on the back 9:alien:)

See you at the weekend!

Another reminder

[h=1]St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club[/h][FONT=marriott-icons !important][/FONT]St Pierre Park Chepstow Wales NP16 6YA United Kingdom
Sunday Tees times start at 15.10. I will be there early doors (depending on flights at LHR - then midday). Those who don't know me, largely round guy - short beard. I will be somewhere adjacent to a bar I imagine..

Check in should be available before teeing off - although obviously afterwards works fine too! You will probably asked for a Credit card at check in to cover any extras.

Rooms

Miz Blue - Single
Newton Boys
Anybody Swedish
JDP and Peroni Nick
The Dane and Sam
Preston and the Doc
Strawboater and Carl
Will_ and BigM

Dirk and his missus
El B and his missus...

Dinner is booked for 20:00 until 23:00 although obviously this will be firmed up once the last group is in. If upon finishing you want to go grab a swim or whatever - crack on, we can do the cards etc over dinner, then awards for Day 1 and Kangaroo court after dinner. Obviously, I will be in bed for ten, but those staying up later, please remember that tees on Monday are:

0852 onwards..we will go out in reverse order with the top 4 going out last. YOU WILL NEED TO CHECK OUT BEFORE YOU TEE OFF

In theory, last group will be in about 1330 - quick tot up while sandwiches are grabbed, prize giving and away.

You have all paid for:

Dinner
Including ONE free drink. (pint of beer, glass of wine or soft)
Wine by the bottle is discounted at 20%

Your room
Use of the facilities, pool etc

Breakfast (starts at 0700, finishes at 1030)

any questions - PM me, Tweet me...send a pigeon.

Apologies for the lack of participation over the last couple of weeks, but new job and total change of schedule has kinda messed me up a little bit while I get settled here

I am hoping to be there around lunchtime as well, depending on traffic obviously as the Tour de France kicks off not too far from us so I haven't got a clue what the traffic will be like

Looking forward to hopefully a couple of days with great weather, some good laughs with new and old faces, and hopefully some good golf to go along with it all

Less than a week to go! I've been silently lurking your thread for the laughs. Only a dream, but would love to make a UK Cup gathering one of these days. You boys do it right. Love to read the ribbing and stories that come from your get togethers. Good luck to all!

Still time to jump on a plane Hawky... :D I would love to make it over to your side of the pond one day as well

Got my final pre-event round in on Saturday and was hitting the ball okay, so I am really hoping to bring the same kind of ball striking this weekend as well - always makes it more enjoyable when you are playing well

Less than a week to go! I've been silently lurking your thread for the laughs. Only a dream, but would love to make a UK Cup gathering one of these days. You boys do it right. Love to read the ribbing and stories that come from your get togethers. Good luck to all!

Always welcome bird boy!

Ribbing? Stories?

Certainly not us. We shall all be wearing club ties and blazers and behaving impeccably...

(And I'll fine the first who says different:clown:)

I'm all
danceurfun_zps8d785a80.gif
danceurfun_zps8d785a80.gif

Well, some bad news on the putter front, I am afraid our club maker is out of action due to personal matters, so you righties are going to have to learn how to play the right way around! Stu I vote we have a left handed putting competition! Will still bring my Xenon's along for the ride, anyone is more than welcome to ask me anything they want about them and play around with them. One is copper, one stainless and one brass.

Stu, I am afraid I will going straight from Wales back to Wetherby I am afraid, so Heathrow is out of the question I am afraid bud :( sorry guys!

I am going to be ULTRA rusty for this event, no golf now for well over a month, and it doesn't look like I will have any time to even hit a ball before we get there! Tell me there is a driving range there or something!

Well, some bad news on the putter front, I am afraid our club maker is out of action due to personal matters, so you righties are going to have to learn how to play the right way around! Stu I vote we have a left handed putting competition! Will still bring my Xenon's along for the ride, anyone is more than welcome to ask me anything they want about them and play around with them. One is copper, one stainless and one brass.

Stu, I am afraid I will going straight from Wales back to Wetherby I am afraid, so Heathrow is out of the question I am afraid bud :( sorry guys!

I am going to be ULTRA rusty for this event, no golf now for well over a month, and it doesn't look like I will have any time to even hit a ball before we get there! Tell me there is a driving range there or something!

To bad but as a lefty I'm good with it! :)
They do have a range I think.. They showed it in some video I saw on the tube..

Edit: Found the video.. They do have some dancing bananas aswell.. :banana:

Last edited:
I see how this works, trying to psyche us out by having us tee off first huh??
I won't be wearing a club tie or blazer, don't own either. I will be proudly wearing my THP cap though.

Last handicap round played on Sunday, started with a bogey, double bogey, par and triple bogey so that card was ripped up before the end, back up 0.1 to 10.0 hcp
I might get out for a few holes on Saturday afternoon, but World Cup could say no.

Early start Sun morning, hoping to get to St Pierre around 1pm assuming steady speeds and no traffic delays.

I see how this works, trying to psyche us out by having us tee off first huh??
I won't be wearing a club tie or blazer, don't own either. I will be proudly wearing my THP cap though.

Last handicap round played on Sunday, started with a bogey, double bogey, par and triple bogey so that card was ripped up before the end, back up 0.1 to 10.0 hcp
I might get out for a few holes on Saturday afternoon, but World Cup could say no.

Early start Sun morning, hoping to get to St Pierre around 1pm assuming steady speeds and no traffic delays.

Fines for no tie and blazer already???

As Skip Ian - you can make someone else tee off and someone else play pink...absolute power my friend.......

Fines for no tie and blazer already???

As Skip Ian - you can make someone else tee off and someone else play pink...absolute power my friend.......

Yeah I thought you might enjoy an early fine or two.
Great Captains lead by example, so I will be teeing off first and going for the green ha ha

Yeah I thought you might enjoy an early fine or two.
Great Captains lead by example, so I will be teeing off first and going for the green ha ha

I want the flag attended for my tee shot....

I want the flag attended for my tee shot....
Don't worry.. I can run up there after your second O.B. ;)

Question: Shall there be some thread where we all can post pictures and stuff of fun things during the event?

Last edited:
Don't worry.. I can run up there after your second O.B. ;)

Question: Shall there be some thread where we all can post pictures and stuff of fun things during the event?

There is usually a thread, or until it is started you could always post things in here

There is usually a thread, or until it is started you could always post things in here

That's good. Since I have spent 5 days straight in front of the computer translating agreements for shareholders I really have nothing to post.. Just dreaming away! :(
But on Sunday.. That's a whole new game! :alien2:

Sunday can't come round quick enough, and the 4 and a half hour drive is going to seem a lot longer.....

Sunday can't come round quick enough, and the 4 and a half hour drive is going to seem a lot longer.....

That drive is gonna be so short! :)
I'm mostly concerned over my luggage(clubs), they will probably ending up in Southern Europe or something like that! :bulgy-eyes:

Just thought I would point out to anyone keeping up to date on the thread that we'll all be country hopping on Sunday.
For instance I'll be leaving from Scotland, driving through England and arriving in Wales.
Almdudler will be Sweden, England, Wales assuming direct flights into Londons airport was the preffered route.
The Swedette is currently on a tour so who knows which shops she will be stopping in on the way to the golf.
The Dane is making his usual (bi-monthly??) excursion across the Channel.
I don't believe we have any Welsh residents participating so everyone else is travelling from England to Wales.

Probably less distance than a lot of guys in the US travel, but probably sounds more impressive when you say you are travelling through several countries to play a round of golf ha ha

Back