What do you do when life's troubles creep into your golf game?

EaglevsFalcon

Reaction score
Handicap
3.4 GHIN
I've been struggling with some things in my home life that are completely beyond my control. My head is all scrambled because of it and my temperment and focus on the course really blows as a result. Do you guys have any ideas or techniques to separate the two?

for me it is a good release to go hit balls and not worry about life's problems. just try to focus on the game

for me it is a good release to go hit balls and not worry about life's problems. just try to focus on the game

I don't really focus on the problems when I'm golfing or at the range but they show up because they're there. I lose my cool and get frustrated much easier than I used to. Just so hard to relax because of it all.

I find the course is one of the few places where everything else going on takes a back seat for a while, I guess I'm lucky that way, the game, the course, the last shot, previous shots, last weeks game, the next shot, all those thoughts somehow take precedence.

Hopefully someone can offer you something, not sure what I'd do if my brain was full of non golf on the course.

It's tough to do but I just try and focus on each shot and in between I think about my swing and what I'm trying to do with it.

I'll also try and see if there is a better way to play the hole and try to pick target lines for my next round there

I've been struggling with some things in my home life that are completely beyond my control. My head is all scrambled because of it and my temperment and focus on the course really blows as a result. Do you guys have any ideas or techniques to separate the two?

I am in the same boat dude, this year has been terrible for me and my family. I find that golf actually takes my mind off of everything. Hope it all gets better bro, life is a b*tch sometimes.

Honestly this is one reason I love golf. No matter whats going off, if I go for a round of golf I am able to forget about everything else for at least a few hrs.

Go play a round, go to the most isolated corner of the course and just study the hole, just think how wondrous it is, everything always fades away when I do that.

Tapatalkin it in on my iPhone 4S

I'm in the same boat right now. Normally I would go to the range and hit balls but this week I had so little focus that after half a bucket I just left because I was hitting the ball so poorly and was getting super frustrated. If you find a solution that works for you let me know.

Me winning isn't. You do.

Take a break

Go Big Orange

You are human, it is normal and probably appropriate for that stuff to creep onto the course.

I've been struggling with some things for the last year and I think it really hurts my focus. I wish I could tell you a way to just shut it all off but I haven't figured it out as of yet. I guess it just takes some time and everything will be back to normal.

90% of the time golf is my escape from all the hardships, worries, and stresses of real life, but that 10% of the time when you just can't block certain things out is tough. For me it helps to play with a group and not by myself and it also helps to not keep score. Just think about each shot individually and have as many small victories as you can.

JUst play more golf than normal. Maybe an hour at the range before going out. If your still bugged during the round then maybe there is something you think you should be doing. Decide what it is and if it's worth doing and if not get over it.

I'm in the same boat right now. Normally I would go to the range and hit balls but this week I had so little focus that after half a bucket I just left because I was hitting the ball so poorly and was getting super frustrated. If you find a solution that works for you let me know.

Me winning isn't. You do.

This exactly.

Thanks guys, glad I'm not alone in dealing with something like this. I guess, if anything, acknowledging the situation is the best way to start to correct it.

I've been getting my tail handed to me by life for the last year and it has really affected my focus this season more than ever, I haven't found anything that helps really other than just trying to stay in the shot and every once in a while I get a little moment of peace. Sometimes just knowing your not alone helps a ton, it lightens the load a little.

Good luck dude and keep on keepin on.

Sometimes you have to put the clubs down and handle the business at hand

The only advice I have, if life's requirements make golf impossible, take care of life. Golf will always be there, but sometimes it needs to come second or third.

Golf is just a game and means nothing to me in comparison to my family, friends or career. I'd say just forget about it get yourself back on track brotha. Golf will always be there for you so take care of what matters first and then go back to it when ready

Golf is one of the only things outside of my motorcycle that I can totally let go of what's going on around me. It's much safer than the motorcycle and how I ride when I'm stressed lol. But if I'm in a funk or things are going south I just head to the range and get lost in practice really. It might sound dumb, but when I throw some tunes on and start working on the swing I can totally let go.

Sometimes you have to put the clubs down and handle the business at hand

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do for the business at hand. I have zero control of the matter. Golf should be the release, but it ends up being where the inner turmoil boils to the surface.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do for the business at hand. I have zero control of the matter. Golf should be the release, but it ends up being where the inner turmoil boils to the surface.

Sorry to hear it.

When I can't find my usual solace on the course and when things are truly out of my hands, I just hafta burn off the anxiety. So I hit the gym really hard. When I do that, I work myself to the point that I don't have the energy to fixate upon what troubles me.

When control escapes me, time is both my friend and my enemy. So I fill that time by expelling my demons through sweat. Maybe it's silly, but it works for me. Best of luck to you.

Life is what it is. We often face challenges beyond our control. Dealing with them and moving on lets us get back to our normal.

stress is overrated so i just don't have any stress.....lol

I turn life off when I turn into the course parking lot. This includes the cell phone. We all have issues I'm sure, but you have to turn them off and have a time out from life now and then.

Back